XCR Forum banner

Magnificent Quote Thread

5K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  mjorin 
#1 ·
"The anitidote for fifty enemies is one friend."--Aristotle

#34 ·
Frederick Douglass Declares There Is "No Progress Without Struggle"
Frederick Douglass was an escaped slave, a leader of the anti-slavery movement in the North, editor of the abolitionist newspaper The North Star and, after the Civil War, a diplomat for the U.S. government. This excerpt is from an address on West India Emancipation, delivered August 4, 1857.

Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reforms. The whole history of the progress of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august claims have been born of earnest struggle. . .

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the roar of its mighty waters.

The struggle may be a moral one or it may be a physical one, or it may both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has and it never will. Find out just what a people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

In the light of these ideas, ******* will be hunted in the North, and held and flogged at in the South so long as they submit to those devilish outrages, and make no resistance, either moral or physical.

Men may not get all they pay for in this world, but they must certainly pay for all they get. If we ever get free from the oppression and wrongs heaped upon us, we must pay for their removal. We must do this by labor, by suffering, by sacrifice, and, if needs be, by our lives and the lives of others.

EDIT What in the literal fuck??...the word "Ne groes" is edited out automatically by the forum software. How fucking stupid.

#35 · (Edited)
Haven't researched the author.....but love this:

"Loving your neighbour is not just loving those that agree with you, or look like you, or move in the same way that you do. It's loving those that don't."

Edit: Jonathan Issac. I dont' follow basketball at all....but here is what he said that was very articulate to why he's not getting the vaccine.

#36 ·
Great message in his answer that you summed up in the quote.

I understand he’s a “celebrity“ and is attempting to walk the tightrope with the media and the woke in his answer, but frankly, I think he went too far in explaining why he is a “no”…bottom line is that it’s nobody’s damn business! They’d have to cut the feed, like with ole Joey Batbrain, if they were interviewing me asking those questions! :ROFLMAO:

#38 ·
I dissent, therefore, from this legalization of racism. Racial discrimination in any form and in any degree has no justifiable part whatever in our democratic way of life. It is unattractive in any setting but it is utterly revolting among a free people who have embraced the principles set forth in the Constitution of the United States. All residents of this nation are kin in some way by blood or culture to a foreign land. Yet they are primarily and necessarily a part of the new and distinct civilization of the United States. They must accordingly be treated at all times as the heirs of the American experiment and as entitled to all the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.

Justice William Francis Murphy
Korematsu v United States (dissent)

#39 ·
Something I hadn't read before in its full context:

Patrick Henry prior to the adoption of the Bill of Rights (I'm guessing largely in response to Article 1, Section 8 that requires Congress to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia")

"My great objection to this Government is, that it does not leave us the means of defending our rights, or of waging war against tyrants: It is urged by some gentlemen, that this new plan will bring us an acquisition of strength, an army, and the militia of the States: This is an idea extremely ridiculous: Gentlemen cannot be earnest. This acquisition will trample on our fallen liberty: Let my beloved Americans guard against that fatal lethargy that has pervaded the universe: Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defence, the militia, is put into the hands of Congress?"

Anyone still want to argue that Anti-Federalist Founders thought the 'militia' is supposed to be "regulated" by government?

Reactions: willpgn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.