XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought it and just got it in the mail. I hope to watch some of it tonight. This being my first rifle of this kind, I thought it wouldn't hurt to watch it and learn some techniques and drills to practice. I know there are others out there that will probably say it is a waste of money, but they have been around this type of stuff before. I have not.
I will let you know what I think after I watch it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man I was thinking the same thing. Meaning this is my first rifle of this type. Cant wait to hear your review...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
It has plenty of worthwhile stuff to practice and get familiar with. It's also probably the best value for a firearms training dvd out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to mention, if you pay attention, you can see an XCR being run through the first course. He even uses a supressor on it a few times. ;D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I skimmed through it, and didn't really see anything special. If you have some military experience or have taken other training I don't see that it will be all that great. Again I didn't watch the whole thing straight through, but I also question the usefullness of such a one dimensional medium. You can probably learn lots of principles but without real direct instruction I think it would be somewhat difficult to put them into practice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have some military experience or have taken other training I don't see that it will be all that great.
Regular pistol and rifle training through the military (I'm talking non SF stuff) is worthless. All they teach is how to not kill yourself with your weapon.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm not talking about SF stuff. Although I am Canadian and our training is rather different then yours. (not saying we are SF) In the last several years our drills have evolved and soldiers going through basic Infantry training learn some of the "Gunfighter" program.

I suppose I should have said "solid combat arms" experience, as I agree with regular basic training being fairly worthless for actual effective close quarters shooting.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I downloaded and have both I and II, watched both, and agree they are worthwhile to watch. The drills are easy and go heavily on fundamentals (which as shooters know,are everything) and they also have some nice fire and movement drills. It isn't anything new to guys who run this stuff everyday, or it might be, you may see a new technique that you didn't know before and adopt it. I like how they use the forward grip (and thus developed the AFG) and have used it since with great results.

I don't know what some were expecting with these DVDs, they aren't a SOCOM crash course, just a great and thorough introduction to good fundamentals.

And ultimately its just a mental review unless you grab your carbine and find a range or piece of land to run the drills.. in that case it really is a waste of money

I recently designed and went through several drafts of a course I'm putting together for a friend. Nothing nearly as indepth as what's shown here, but this is a 2+ day class if I'm not mistaken. I adopted several of the techniques shown and put them in the class, which I've designed to help introduce tactical rifles and carbines to those who have little, no, or outdated experience with them. 1 day and 300ish rounds all at 100 yards or less just to build confidence in handling and familiarity with the "toy" that they just dropped a grand on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It got passed around on my last deployment. The first one's not very useful unless if your just getting into shooting. It's kinda like a basic shooting package for desk jockeys. The second video is a little better. I still think your better off practicing mag changes for over and over. You can tell from the video who's had training before, they'd all automatically do mag changes. The civies would go empty, wait, then get reminded to reload :duh:

They did teach me that I never want to take a magpul dynamics class :p Those two annoyed the piss out of me in the videos but they did follow the first rule of recon....

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I recommend Beerfest as a training video before moving on to the Magpul videos. Drinking goat piss and while on a tread mil while someone yells schnell schnell schnelll... is pretty intense training and will prepare you for the next level.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I recommend Beerfest as a training video before moving on to the Magpul videos. Drinking goat piss and while on a tread mil while someone yells schnell schnell schnelll... is pretty intense training and will prepare you for the next level.
I thought the magpul video came with Costa piss :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
There was some very good info on this dvd course but I dont understand why they told you to reload with the barrel strait up in the air. I just think this is a bad idea if shooting from behind cover it makes you far more visible. All in all i learned some different ways to do a few things so it was pretty useful.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
It's called your "work space" You bring the weapon into it so you can do two things, get eyes on the problem if there is one (doublefeed etc..) and with your work center high in front of you, you can keep your eyes on what your opponent is doing downrange. This applies for your pistol as well.
It also feels easier for me to reload in close, then with my arms extended out in front of me.

I know there are people who keep their weapon pointed downrange while checking the chamber and performing a reload, but I can assure you that SOF uses the workspace. Do it enough and it becomes fast. As a Frog buddy told once told me when I asked why regular units don't use the workspace, "Because they are not trained/trusted enough not to point their muzzles anywhere but downrange."

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I tried watching it, but I only made it part way through the first one before I had to go punch something. Costa overdose. (damn, now my brain itches again)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It's called your "work space" You bring the weapon into it so you can do two things, get eyes on the problem if there is one (doublefeed etc..) and with your work center high in front of you, you can keep your eyes on what your opponent is doing downrange. This applies for your pistol as well.
It also feels easier for me to reload in close, then with my arms extended out in front of me.
It also works better for me at least when your using an AK.Due to the rock in magwell/mag combination it's much easier to hit the magwell and to not fumblefuck the reload because you can actually see what your doing.YMMV :2cents:

·
Registered
693 Posts
It also works better for me at least when your using an AK.Due to the rock in magwell/mag combination it's much easier to hit the magwell and to not fumblefuck the reload because you can actually see what your doing.YMMV :2cents:
+1

G

·
I thought they were well produced videos. In spite of not being a modern technique monkey, Costa and Haley have some things to offer adn it certainly is not a waste of money. I dont subscribe to all that they teach, but thought the video was well worth what I paid for it and would reccomend it.

videos are not a substitute for actual training

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Getting out and shooting, and that's any shooting, is better than not at all. If you want to learn to be good with a rifle then these vids are a good start. A lot of stuff you can even do in the house just getting the muscle memory down and if you run through the shooting drills at the range you'll only get better each time. It's all about practice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts