XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread to ask if people have had any good luck using these drum mags on the XCR platform specifically? I wouldn't expect any but there could always be unforeseen issues.

·
Registered
22,410 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread to ask if people have had any good luck using these drum mags on the XCR platform specifically? I wouldn't expect any but there could always be unforeseen issues.
The biggest issue is the cost. You got 30 extra rounds for $100. I can buy 30 round pmags all day for $10....if the lack of an extra mag change makes a difference, you probably need to work on your emergency reloads.

Reactions: scalton and willpgn

·
Registered
209 Posts
The biggest issue is the cost. You got 30 extra rounds for $100. I can buy 30 round pmags all day for $10....if the lack of an extra mag change makes a difference, you probably need to work on your emergency reloads.
2 - 40 rounders and you’ve got an extra 20 rounds on top of it...and way cheaper than the drum...and easier to load...and without the worry of the drum not feeding correctly...and...and...and...

Never figured out what the draw is for drums, outside of the “no reload“ aspect vs 2 mags.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A few years back I bought 2 KCI 100rd drums, both have worked every time I used them maybe 6 or 8 times. They are only $120.
They look pretty cool when inserted into your rifle but you will notice a little bit of difference in weight with the extra seventy rounds in them. I hadn't used them in quite a while until I got my xcr pistol, when I went to sight it in it was really nice having a flat stable base to shoot off of.
You can't beat a PMAG for durability and price and as you said learn to work on emergency reloading of your magazines.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A few years back I bought 2 KCI 100rd drums, both have worked every time I used them maybe 6 or 8 times. They are only $120.
They look pretty cool when inserted into your rifle but you will notice a little bit of difference in weight with the extra seventy rounds in them. I hadn't used them in quite a while until I got my xcr pistol, when I went to sight it in it was really nice having a flat stable base to shoot off of.
Now that you mentioned it, I'm looking into the KCI drum too. Interesting design, do the drums get in the way of the XCR's side controls? The XCR's lower is longer than an AR's, so I think I'd be able to reach the mag and bolt releases easily enough. I'm seeing a lot of reliability issues on Youtube though.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, I'm looking into the KCI drum too. Interesting design, do the drums get in the way of the XCR's side controls? The XCR's lower is longer than an AR's, so I think I'd be able to reach the mag and bolt releases easily enough. I'm seeing a lot of reliability issues on Youtube though.

It doesn't interfere with any thing on the rifle at all. I've never seen any of the issues on YouTube never search for them, mine have worked every time I've used them from round one to round 100 but as I said I've only used them six or eight times. Bought them cuz I thought they looked cool but in reality I'm not sure what purpose they serve except for burning through ammo faster than you would without them

·
Registered
129 Posts
It doesn't interfere with any thing on the rifle at all. I've never seen any of the issues on YouTube never search for them, mine have worked every time I've used them from round one to round 100 but as I said I've only used them six or eight times. Bought them cuz I thought they looked cool but in reality I'm not sure what purpose they serve except for burning through ammo faster than you would without them
It seems to be home run or miss, because I'm seeing better results now and others with issues still. Must be how you treat the thing. I also think they could be a nifty feature to have on the side. Good way to stress test the barrel I guess.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It seems to be home run or miss, because I'm seeing better results now and others with issues still. Must be how you treat the thing. I also think they could be a nifty feature to have on the side. Good way to stress test the barrel I guess.
I have never cleaned either of mine but I've only used them a few times each after range so no dust or dirt environment. When I take my rifle shooting I usually use a 20 round magazine mainly because instead of a bipod I usually shoot off of a backpack and it keeps the mag from dragging. My xcr pistol melted my favorite backpack doing that though, I was trying out a JP Enterprises Cooley break and didn't even notice that the blast was blowing holes in my backpack, when I was almost done the guy next to me is like dude your backpack smoking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts