XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been asked already elsewhere, please simply respond with a link to the thread.

Since the XCR is an eXchangeable Caliber Rifel, what would one specify in ATF Form 1, Block 4c (caliber, guage, or size)? Can you specify all possible calibers on one form? If only one caliber can be specified per form, would changing calibers require filing a new ATF Form 1 specifying the new caliber, lest it be an illegal configuration?
???

TIA and I realize that the ultimate authority is the BATFE, and that no one is responsible for bad advice, etc, etc.

·
Registered
681 Posts
What caliber is the original set up in? Use that one. Call ATF about caliber changing once you have it registered.

·
Registered
182 Posts
According to this thread people have done Form 1's for multiple calibers and barrel lengths on a single receiver, which saves them the trouble of interacting with the ATF every time they want to swap uppers.

I haven't found exactly what they put on the form, but I'm going to try one with "Various" listed for both fields.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Do not put various, it will be kicked back. Put the caliber that you originally purchased the gun in/intend to originally build into an SBR.

Down in Block 4h. under additional Description place the other calibers/barrel lengths and overall lengths. Mine for example says word for word
Alt Cal. 6.8SPC, 11", 29" 7.62x39, 11", 29"

You will get different opinions from people on-line about if you need to notify the NFA about changes to caliber or barrel length. On the back of the Form 1 it says "the registrant SHALL notify the NFA Branch, BATFE, in writing, of any changes to the descrition of the firearms in items 4." To me SHALL means you will, at least in aviation speak.

Regardless, it only takes a letter. Additionally, it is usually only for permanent changes. Some also say that if you put a longer barrel then what is on the Form you dont need to notify them.

Hope this makes some sense.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Do not put various, it will be kicked back. Put the caliber that you originally purchased the gun in/intend to originally build into an SBR.

Down in Block 4h. under additional Description place the other calibers/barrel lengths and overall lengths. Mine for example says word for word
Alt Cal. 6.8SPC, 11", 29" 7.62x39, 11", 29"

You will get different opinions from people on-line about if you need to notify the NFA about changes to caliber or barrel length. On the back of the Form 1 it says "the registrant SHALL notify the NFA Branch, BATFE, in writing, of any changes to the descrition of the firearms in items 4." To me SHALL means you will, at least in aviation speak.

Regardless, it only takes a letter. Additionally, it is usually only for permanent changes. Some also say that if you put a longer barrel then what is on the Form you dont need to notify them.

Hope this makes some sense.

This is sound advice. Never be vague on your ATF forms

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here's the problem I'm worried about: I take my SBR with a dozen different uppers to the range. Some law enforcement official demands to see my Form 1, but it only lists a caliber/barrel combination I don't have with me. Even if I show him a dozen letters I wrote notifying the ATF of each new upper, he says, "Sorry, you registered an SBR with a 12" upper in 5.56mm. You're holding and unregistered SBR."

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Most LE won't even know what they're looking at. Once you produce your copy of the Form 1 or 4 that's usually where it stops.

If they want to hassle you there's not much you can do, that's their deal. It'd be best to figure out which config you want and leave it at that and never even worry about it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
dbooksta, Re-read Aziators post he has said it all. Fill in the calibers you are most likely to have on the gun in 4h. Don't make a big deal about a small pimple on your ass. If you want to complicate matters.... you don't need an SBR. KISS... Keep it Simple Stupid. All those letters and ammendments only confuse "John Law" more. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Here's the problem I'm worried about: I take my SBR with a dozen different uppers to the range. Some law enforcement official demands to see my Form 1, but it only lists a caliber/barrel combination I don't have with me. Even if I show him a dozen letters I wrote notifying the ATF of each new upper, he says, "Sorry, you registered an SBR with a 12" upper in 5.56mm. You're holding and unregistered SBR."
I'd have to ask under what premise is this LEO making the demand?

I agree 100% with the summary posted by az and the other statement made by m118 about simply producing the Form 4 and be done with it.

I have yet to have anyone (LEO or other) question my use of NFA items at a range. I figure, that they figure, that if I am using this stuff in the open and in public - it must be legal. In the same context - I religiously carry a copy of my paperwork and state clearly in Box 15 (regarding my intended use): "For All Lawful Purposes"

I echo the statements made to be as specific/clear/direct/concise as possible and leave NOTHING to interpretation.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
One last thing, You are allowed to use a continuation page for block 4H. if you want to list every known caliber to man you can. Also, according to the NFA Handbook published by the ATF you SHALL (that word again) notify the ATF in writing when you make a permanent modification to the firearm on the Form 1. Is swaping an upper a permanent modification??? I would say NO. Permanent to me is cutting a barrel down, changing the caliber on a Bolt gun, stuff like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts