XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article in my local paper about how many states that were close in the 2000 election, such as Florida are now allowing felons to vote. WTF? It went on to say that most felons vote democratic and that 1 in 8 blacks are felons. This just floors me.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1553510,00.html

Read this shit carefully... and tell me what party you think the author represents.

"So here's the thing: Felons who are out of prison have largely served the punishment prescribed by the judicial system. Shouldn't that be enough? Penalizing them further by taking away their right to vote is not just unfair to them, it's bad for us. We'll be lucky if 40% of eligible voters cast a ballot on Nov. 7. What kind of a democracy is that?"

Uh, yeah...

"We should be finding ways to get more voters to the polls, not looking for excuses to keep them away. So instead of prohibiting felons from voting, let's require them to do it. That way, they will continue to repay their debt to society, long after they walk out of prison."

Next they'll want to allow sex offenders access to day care...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have to agree. Everyone who comes out of prison is changed into a model citizen. Besides, it is societies fault they committed crimes.

No really! lets have the criminal element of society decide on the countries leaders. We all claim politicians are crooks.

:duh: Well I tried but I couldn't convince myself.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hell, ACORN is busy signing up German tourists and Mexican river swimmers why not? If they can't win by popular vote they WILL steal the elections. I would say "You live with what you choose"..... but I live in this country. And I can't think of a BETTER place to move too!!!! :duh:

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I have to disagree on this one. If someone comimits a crime, does their time and parole then after all that they have paid their debt. Then let them vote. Repeat offenders though, no chance.

After all it is supposed to be about crime, punishment and rehabilitation.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you make it a Felony to Vote illegal, maybe a year in the slam would open their eyes. :duh:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Mickey I agree as long as your not a repeat or violent offender you should automatically have your rights reinstated after being released and your parole or a 3 year grace period is up.You should not have to forfeit your right for life for one mistake.
Gunner I agree as well,any attempt to vote fraudulently should be a felony.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Our laws don't make a whole lot of sense on this point. Recidivism rates are high, but not everyone who goes to jail once ends up going back again or becomes a career criminal. Maybe voting rights should be restored automatically, but prosecutors should have the ability to ask that they be suspended indefinitely at sentencing if the person is a career criminal.

tk

BTW: The Republican governor of Florida, Charlie Crist, restored voting rights recently to criminals. Not a popular decision with the base, but he simply felt it was the right thing to do. He's made a number of decisions that haven't played well with some traditional supporters, but he's got a lot of crossover support. I'd like to see him run for president.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
How do you know a gun owner isn't going on a rampage.

Wrong kind of thinking.

If they have served their sentances and completed probation without reoffending, that is the best you can hope for, or do you want to live in fear because you breed hate.

Surely a greater danger is the vast majority of crimminals who have never been caught and continue to commit crimes. A vast number of people who commit crimes, do it once only. Why not give them a path back to normality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How do you know a gun owner isn't going on a rampage.
Uh...because they haven't done it already. I'm fairly certain that doing so would put them squarely in the "felon" category.

My intention is not to "breed hate". Having committed a felony speaks to one's character. Truth be told, people change. I've changed several times since I was born. I harbor no ill will or feelings to anyone who has commited a crime, felony or otherwise, and served their time.

I reckon the answer to my own question would be, "We don't." but that shouldn't stop someone from being able to regain their voting rights. I would agree that repeat offenders lose the right and that doesn't seem extreme.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Well said

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I think the point is that those who have served their time have paid their debt to society.We will never know if they will do if again,That's why I made the point that those who commit violent felonies get no second chance.I would say any crime involving a firearm would fall into the "no second chance policy" unless it were a misdemeanor offense.The second part to this would be having a waiting period after release from the correctional facility for say,at least 3 years before they automatically get the right to bear arms restored.I wouldn't have a problem with restoring voting rights within a year after release depending on parole status.In other words if you were still on parole after release,your voting rights return after you successfully finish your parole.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
If you don't give them a chance to get back into 'decent' society, you have created hatred for life.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have to disagree on this one. If someone comimits a crime, does their time and parole then after all that they have paid their debt. Then let them vote. Repeat offenders though, no chance.

After all it is supposed to be about crime, punishment and rehabilitation.
This may sound corney but it is true. When I was a young man I stayed out of trouble and made certain decisions because I did not want to lose my right to vote or own a gun. Was I misguided?

CMD :2rifle:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am with you, there is a difference between some wayward youthful actions and commiting a felony. You do the crime you pay the price. Sure, they can be rehabed back into society but I still don't think they should have the same rights as the guy that stayed out of trouble all his life. This hold especially true for anyone convicted of a violent felony.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Then don't tax them either. Why should they pay for society if they can't be members.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts