·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Saber rattling.

The Cold War isn't totally over.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A couple ships out in the open is exactly as Condi says, really nothing to worry about...

What has been - and remains a real world concern, are the Soviet nuclear submarines that are armed with a SHIT LOAD of ICBM's - and that routinely travel the deep waters off of the US (and other countries) coasts, especially the deep north Atlantic. Remember The Hunt for Red October? There were a lot of factual aspects to that movie (way beyond the Hollywood dramtics and corny plot).

This is but one reason why the US Navy has various squadrons of P3's and other tracking systems in a constant state of awareness.

PAVE PAWS is but another method of ICBM detection... but if it comes to that, well - we're pretty much screwed anyway... but getting back to reality...

I had a job in a former life where every day I would "Load the boats" - which is where we would track positions of all the Soviet submarines and their ICBM payloads.

When we would run the war game scenarios and simulate multiple ICBM launches and subsequent multiple large scale Nuclear Detonations (NUDET's) - there was no place on Earth that was safe - except for in the skies - which is why we have such magnificent programs such as the E4B/NAOC (formerly NEACP).

Why it make me all tingly inside just to think about that stuff...

Dang - I miss those days... ;D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Psh. I'm young enough that Russians don't scare me to much. chechnyians on the other hand are scary. Mohoby is scary. But then again thats probably because I was never shot at by a Russian, where as I have exchanged pleasantries with the other two in the past.

I'd be more worried about China then Russia. Russia is just being pissy, China has plans

·
Registered
268 Posts
... When we would run the war game scenarios ... there was no place on Earth that was safe - except for in the skies - which is why we have such magnificent programs such as the E4B/NAOC (formerly NEACP). ...
Ummm... if the only people left after such an attack are those in the E4B's, then I think it's pretty much over except for the slow death by radiation poisoning. Maybe they should think about making LOTS and LOTS of E4B's. And crewing them with 50% males and 50% females!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Watch "By Dawn's Early Light". NDA says we can't talk about it but sometimes Hollywood doesn't hit too far off the mark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts