XCR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about books I would like to read again while over here doing my thing and thought about my two books by Mel Tappan (Survival Guns and Tappan on Survival). Yes, the books are dated and are from teh late 70's survival movement but I think that they still offer a great bit of sage advice for anyone that may rely on a weapon in times of disaster.

Anyone else out there read these books? I need to get my wife to send me my copies.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I have read several of the Mel Tappan books and they are great but I don't generally recommend them to people because of being out of date and not specific enough (and much of the advice is just common sense anyways).

Instead I recommend "Boston's Gun Bible" by Boston T. Party (I would say it's leaps and bounds better than the Mel Tappan books on the same subject and this one is up to date).

Also, on the subject of survival, everyone should read "Lights Out!" By Halffast, especially since it's free and available online in PDF form:

http://survivalmonkey.com/SF%20books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

Another fun book is "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse":

http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surv...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221409021&sr=8-1

Happy reading.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Lex, I read Patriots and Lights Out to my family (I hate the TV). Good stuff.

On Boston's, let me explain that first off I like Ken, he's a nifty guy. His head is in the right place - this isn't a slam. Not to be taken that way.

Take what he has to say in his "Gun Bible" with a grain of salt. For instance, what he says in his chapter on the 50BMG isn't the best info out there. At all. He 'idealizes' a certain character for a certain book he 'wrote'. Truth is, that character plagarized most of it, and is a real prick. Besides the info being WRONG, he asserts that he can do stuff he certainly CAN NOT.

How do I know? Because my mentor was also his instructor. On the good side, people learn the truth eventually. Said character now has his gear on a sales site - he's been canned from the big-name businesses, middle-range businesses, and now small-class businesses.

And there's a permanent blanket party waiting for him if he ever sets foot on a SF post again.

Ken wrote a good book, but nothing trumps experience. He took some things at face value though, that shouldn't have been included.

FWIW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts