XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know I'm new to this forum. I ordered an XCR a month ago and I want to put a Magpul MIAD grip on it. So I ordered the package with the trigger guard that goes into the front of the grip. My question is will that work on the XCR, or do I have to get the aluminum trigger guard and put it in separately?

·
Registered
573 Posts
WH, that's the same setup I ordered and it works fine. The aluminum one is just a stronger upgrade, not mandatory. 8)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Help! Bought the Miad full kit. The instructions say not to use the original bolt (hex head screw), but the screw that came with the Miad appears to be a different thread pattern, and I really don't want to screw up my receiver. If I use the original bolt, the grip remains loose despite a dangerously tight bolt. I suppose I could use some washers...what have you guys done? PS..The trigger guard that comes with the grip appears to have the same profile as the stock XCR guard. Why change it out?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think I used the original bolt as well. Are you sure you didn't cross-thread it when you put it back in?

The newer XCR lowers are the ones with the integrated trigger guard. For quite a while they were produced to accept an AR15 trigger guard.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My original bolt was exceptionally tight. Took a hex wrench with vise grips to loosen it. I didn't cross thread the bolt. When I put on the MIAD and torque down the original bolt, the bolt is very tight but there is movement in the grip. The original bolt is also at least 1/4 inch longer than the screw supplied by Magpul. I was thinking that the bearing surface in the Miad grip was deeper than the original grip, and using the original bolt might be bottoming out on something in the receiver. If you guys didn't have any trouble, that would suggest that this is not the case. I'll try a little wd40 and see if I can screw the bolt in further, otherwise I may need to get a washer or two.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I put an Ergo grip on mine, I had to go buy a different screw. Note that the thread pattern on the XCR grip screw is NOT the 'standard' one on AR's.

Take a look here
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,2217.msg31913.html#msg31913

If the stock RA screw was longer, and you're still getting movement, the MIAD grip may have been designed to have the screw head seat into a recess in the grip. Note the heads of those appear to be different diameters as well. You may want to find a screw the same length as came with the grip, and the same style head, that matches the RA thread pattern.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You can use a 1/4 (20) tpi tap and clean the threads out.They get tight near the end for some reason.If you don't have one just buy a shorter grip screw.It is a 1/4 (20) threads per inch screw,a 1 inch screw should work.Or if you don't think you have enough thread penetration try a 1.5 inch screw,if its too long just remove about a 1/4 inch from the end of it.If you have a corresponding nut,thread that on first before removing any material from the screw so it will clean the threads up when you remove it after your done shortening the screw.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Swapped mine out last night, bolt was a not tough to get off (not sure if Bill Springfield removed when doing my trigger job) Had to do a tiny bit of filling on edges where it touches receiver to make fit perfect. It went back on with same bolt. Slick!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
It will. Just make sure the detent spring aligns with the detent like it should. I've noticed the spring is farther back than on a regular grip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts