XCR Forum banner

Minor Problem

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MrSmitty 
#1 ·
Since I have last cleaned my rifle and adjusted the gas setting to 2 "finally" I have had the problem of the bolt not holding open on an empty mag. Though I know this isn't that big of a deal but more of an annoyance. Anyone else have this problem and or have a solution to it.

PS has anyone ever had melted vinyl on the barrel of any gun and found a way to get it off after it solidified? :duh:

#3 ·
I had a problem with mine not holding open with the button being depressed but would work with an empty mag. I found an obscure post after searching the forums, and it said something to the effect that the paddle that the bolt hold open is on two pieces. One of those pieces can get seized up and cause it not to lock open.

The solution was to tap that bolt hold open forward a bit to fix whatever was wrong with the two pieces....

Shoddy explanation on my part, but this fixed my issue.... give it a shot... hopefully it works

#4 ·
I think somewhere on the forum a few folks were having a similar problem. I can't remember if it was the bolt latch or a mag problem though.

I have had vinyl melt on metal tools and the like but not on a gun. I have used acetone from the local paint or hardware store. Just be careful of the finish or painted surfaces.

#8 ·
1) Check the bolt catch in the lower to make sure it is moving up and down freely/is not sticking or obstructed in any way.
2) Make sure you are using good mags. Specifically, make sure they positively lock the bolt open when cycling by hand with the empty mag in place.
3) Turn up the gas. It might be slightly dependent on your specific rifle and its level of cleanliness, but there have been plenty of reports of needing #3 gas setting to properly run crap steel case, so if that is what you are doing, I would put it to #3 and not think about it further if that takes care of the problem.

#9 ·
I have tried three different mags all the same problem and yes Pmags were included in the mags I tested. I also tested 2 different types of ammo. 55gr 223 AE and 55gr 5.56 PMC. I will bump the gas setting up to 3 and try that as I am supposed to be taking my old man out shooting again this afternoon as for the taking the vinyl off I will go by a scotchbrite pad (plastic) and try to get that crap off. I guess I could always burn the stuff off too by shooting lots. ???

#10 ·
One of the guys running an XCR here had a problem with not getting a bolt lock back. When I inspected it, I found that he had gorilla fisted his mags in during reloads and bent the lever on the bolt catch. It was bent up enough that the magazine follower could not make contact. I took out the bolt catch, tapped the lever back into shape and it has worked ever since.

No he reloads firmly with out abusing anything.

#11 ·
I never ram my mags in I only put them in when the bolt is locked back and then I seat the mag in firmly then release the bolt catch to chamber a round. Never got to hit the range my old man said it was too hot to shoot today so we will wait till septermber or something for him. I guess the old guy is getting weak in his old age. ;)

#13 ·
I am with Gunner, I have seen the same problem, especially on my SBR. I try to get the gas setting down and everything works fine until I get to the last round.

#14 ·
I will turn the gas up to setting 3 and try it out next time to the range unfortunately that won't be for about 8 days.

#16 ·
Solutions:

1: Change the Gas setting
2: Change the ammo
3: Change the mag

4: Take the upper off, insert mag, and ensure the bolt hold open is coming into contact with the rear of the mag follower. The BHO is two pieces with a pin stacked through another post, creating an L shape. Be sure the pin hasnt set back into the post. If it has, tap the pin forward, but it may just walk back again.

This was a problem with my first XCR, but with my 2nd it has never happened. There is a difference. My first XCR had a pin and post that were chromed, shiny, staineless, whatever. While my 2nd XCR has a pin that is black or darkened and has some grit so it doesnt walk through the post.

#17 ·
Well I have tried solutions 2 and 3. 2 different types of ammo same problem so I will try the gas setting next and if that don't work I will look at solution 4 or could just check it out before I head out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.