XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how long the Sig P250 has been around but I just came across an article recently and want to know your opinions.  Modularity (what a novel idea  ;D) makes a great deal of sense to me considering what a pain it is to get permits.  I'm just curious how the gun performs.

Have any of you fired it or handled it? 

Here's the article I came across.
http://www.americancopmagazine.com/articles/SIG/SIG.htm

·
Registered
275 Posts
I handled it at a gun show and was pretty impressed. The modular concept does make sense.

I have owned a SIG P226 for over twenty years. It has never had a malfunction or broke any parts and is extremely accurate. I don't know if SIG makes them like they used to but I would strongly consider the P250 if I needed another defense pistol. It will be difficult to convince the wife when I also own a HK P7M8 and Glock 26.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A buddy of mine was looking to get his first (and probably only) handgun. He wants something the wife can handle but also something with good stopping power. I'm close to suggesting the P250 in 9mm with compact frame and appropriate grip size for her to use at the range and either the .40 or .45 conversion for when it's tucked away at home. I think it's perfect for that sort of application but just didn't know enough about it to give it my stamp of approval.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to handle the 250 but I do have a 228 and it is a great little gun. It seems like the 250 would be perfect for what you are suggesting. i just read an article about it a few days ago and seems like a solid concept.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I think this is a direction you are going to see more manufacturers go in.It will be a big plus to anyone who want to swap calibers,frame sizes,trigger groups,etc.It's very similar conceptually to the XCR,not exactly mind you,just similar reasoning.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been problems with the P250 during T&E with several agencies. Proceed with caution.
Got any specifics? Was it the same issue, widespread, catastrophic etc?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If it were me recommending a pistol to a first time buyer I would recommend something that is proven. With ammo advances of today I am completely comfortable using 9mm as a defensive round. M&P or XD pop into my head right about now.

BTW, my wife skyped me today asking where my .45 ammo was, she wanted to take my nighthawk 1911 to the range (as if her M&P 9mm wasn't enough, I sent that pistol off for a new finish and haven't even touched it yet and she wants to shoot it first). She said it was nice shooting and she shot it better than she shot her 9mm. Maybe I get to buy another 1911 now??

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
There have been problems with the P250 during T&E with several agencies. Proceed with caution.
Got any specifics? Was it the same issue, widespread, catastrophic etc?
Mostly the trigger and hammer design. The Euro version has a 10lbs trigger. The USA model has a much ligther trigger, but now the hammer can have issues with not hitting the primer hard enough, so you get a click, but no bang.

Also, when they gave the gun to officers to shoot, there was lots of short stroking during speed drills. Training issue I know, but a factor for sure in high stress situations.

SIG is said to be tweaking the design. Possibly with an LEM style pre-cock system, which would be kick ass

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
AZ I feel the same as far as recomending a proven design before purchasing,most especially to non-gun-nut type people who are looking for something dependable,not an experiment.
I too subscribe too any caliber for defense as long as it starts with a 4,but I do recognize that bullet technology has come a long way and it's more about shot placement than caliber.I carry my wife's tiny Taurus 9mm pt911 when it's too damn hot to conceal anything else,and I don't feel a bit underarmed with 12+1 rounds of 124 grain hydrashocks. ;D
I love my XD45,I wish I had the one with the manual safety,but I'm a 1911 guy at heart,what can I say.The M&P I like very much too,very nice ergonomics.The only thing I have against them is the .45 model isn't hi-cap,not that it's mandatory,but I kind of like having 13+1 with the XD.It would be more important if if was a duty weapon,but as Jeff Cooper said all a handgun is for is to be able to fight your way to a long gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got a chance to shoot a P250 last week at the range. I did like how it felt in my hand and the fact it was very friendly to left handed shooters. However, i did not like the trigger pull. I do like some double action pistols, but the P250 had too long of a pull and the break was a little inconsistent. Also, the recoil was a bit snappy compared to my Glock 19. The concept is very interesting, but it needs to be refined a little more before I would consider investing in one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have five Sigs (2 P226, 1 P220, 1 P239 and 1 .22 conversion kit for the P226) and finally got to handle a P250 a little while ago. I didn't get to shoot it, but handling it was enough. I was not impressed with the quality of the fit around the recoil rod. If I remember right, it had something to do with the end of the rod that protrudes from the slide. When I cycled the slide it didn't quite go back into battery because the slide caught the end of the recoil rod. A simple thing to fix, but this was a production gun on sale to the general public in a gun store. On looks alone I lost interest in the P250. One of these days I need to check another one to see if I remembered it right or if Sig has changed it.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'm a sig-certified armorer and had the chance to take a 250 apart a few months ago. It's a ground-breaking design and will influence pistol design for years to come, just as the glock did.

Having said that, I don't own one. I much prefer the SRT triggers on my 226s. And I still don't like plastic-framed pistols.

tk

BTW: I also object to the rubee technology. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a sig-certified armorer and had the chance to take a 250 apart a few months ago. It's a ground-breaking design and will influence pistol design for years to come, just as the glock did.

Having said that, I don't own one. I much prefer the SRT triggers on my 226s. And I still don't like plastic-framed pistols.

tk

BTW: I also object to the rubee technology. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
sig has in my opinion,been on a downward slide for a while,
i have seen so much downright garbage put out by them
the 250 feels like a s&w sigma,and has a rancid trigger pull.
the 556 (stock set up) (tdi/fab/mako/command arms) and handgaurd rail system is a joke
and it made a decent looking gun look like a fat girl at the bar,2am style.
cheap chicom clothing with sig logos that dont hold up to normal wash and ware,
cheap "tactical" knives that are not worth 1/4 of what they charge,and lets not forget the sig reflex sight
again,ncstar type special...or sigs choice of the forwardgrip light combo(again,command arms/tdi/mako/fab crap)
or the king of it all,a aimpoint t1 clone,that you could buy off ebay for about 320 bux less without the sig logo.....

i sold my sigs,and i was a diehard sig fan....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. So far it seems the P250 performed best on the drawing board. From what I've read here and other forums it looks like this design still has some kinks to work out. Great concept but I think I'll sit this one out for a while.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

tk

AMEN tk.

I had the same armorer opportunity to strip out the 250 and was not overly impressed. Yeah, it has benefitted from some leading edge thinking - but it is far (IMO) from perfect. I say wait until SIG has an opportunity to perfect upon the design before you drop your $$. :2cents:

I have a slew of SIG pistols myself... P220 Elite, P226LE (.40), P229 (both the .40 and .357SIG), P239 SAS and a Mosquito.

ALL of mine (well except the Mosquito) have the SRT package, and I prefer the non-rail / older frames.

I further (partially) agree with elray in that the 556 I played with was cheap 'feeling' and gave the shooter little confidence in durability.

I do have a SIGTAC knife (several really), and really cannot complain about it - as it has served me well and is high quality. I do think SOME of their knives are junk, but not all.

I recently sold one of my P239's to a friend of mine who is a huge gun nut - but I was shocked to discover he wanted the P239 to replace the (Makarov!) he used for CCW. Now I am not anti-makarov, but I was really stunned to think he would bet his life on a $200 pistol.

I think he has come to that conclusion as well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I recently sold one of my P239's to a friend of mine who is a huge gun nut - but I was shocked to discover he wanted the P239 to replace the (Makarov!) he used for CCW. Now I am not anti-makarov, but I was really stunned to think he would bet his life on a 0 pistol.

I think he has come to that conslusion as well.
Better a $200 Makarov than nothing though!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Hey don't knock the MAK,that is one tough little piece of Russian hardware.Not to mention have you ever know the Russians to use junk weaponry? Sure it might not be as refined as more expensive pistols,but I would trust my life anyday to a Makarov over a Hi-point,or a Jennings,Lorcin or any of that other pot pot metal junk.These guns were made to military spec and were used,abused and beat to hell and still come up for more,kind of reminds you of the AK.Oh yea and they are accurate little suckers too.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
AMEN tk.

I had the same armorer opportunity to strip out the 250 and was not overly impressed. Yeah, it has benefitted from some leading edge thinking - but it is far (IMO) from perfect. I say wait until SIG has an opportunity to perfect upon the design before you drop your $$. :2cents:

I have a slew of SIG pistols myself... P220 Elite, P226LE (.40), P229 (both the .40 and .357SIG), P239 SAS and a Mosquito.

ALL of mine (well except the Mosquito) have the SRT package, and I prefer the non-rail / older frames.

I further (partially) agree with elray in that the 556 I played with was cheap 'feeling' and gave the shooter little confidence in durability.

I do have a SIGTAC knife (several really), and really cannot complain about it - as it has served me well and is high quality. I do think SOME of their knives are junk, but not all.

I recently sold one of my P239's to a friend of mine who is a huge gun nut - but I was shocked to discover he wanted the P239 to replace the (Makarov!) he used for CCW. Now I am not anti-makarov, but I was really stunned to think he would bet his life on a 0 pistol.

I think he has come to that conslusion as well.

I got my first 226 20 years ago. It's everything a combat pistol should be -- high-cap, accurate, utterly reliable and easy to maintain. I've added several since then, but none are current US models.

Over the long haul, I think SIG has developed this line of pistols very well. The basic design has been proven all over the world, and the essential functional changes SIG has made over the years have been well thought out (like replacing the old pinned mainspring with the newer plastic-seated one). A 226 in .357 SIG is my daily carry gun.

But I am somewhat concerned that the company has developed a sort of fashion-boutique mindset. They keep coming out with more and more new models that are functionally identical to the old models, just in different colors, with different grips, fancier mags, etc. Want a compact carry gun? You could get a 225, 245, 220 compact, 228, 229 or 239. Oh yeah, and the 250 compact. And the only thing I can figure is that Terra must be on real good terms with someone at SIG corporate, cause the even make a hot pink .22 plinker (http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=30&productid=242).

And they seem to have had a lot of missteps with the 556. This is especially odd since it's a descendant of a famous and highly regarded combat rifle. They're already got the refined, established model, how can the new model be inferior? Even the sights they came out with for the gun have left folks flat.

It's tempting to blame the US division of SIGArms, but I see some of the same things going on in Germany.

I'm not dumping on the company -- I love working on their pistols, and would happily add a couple more to my collection (like a 220 supermatch). And I depend on their products for home and personal defense. I just think they've made some missteps in recent years. Like they're trying to be everything to everybody instead of focusing on a core business.

tk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts