XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=248

Gun Ownership at All-Time High, Violent Crime Near 30-Year Low

Over the last two decades, many “gun control” laws have been eliminated or made less restrictive at the federal, state, and local levels. Numbers of privately-owned guns and Right-to-Carry states have risen to all-time highs. Every step of the way, “gun control” groups predicted violent crime would increase. Instead, violent crime decreased dramatically.

Less “Gun Control”: The Brady Act’s handgun waiting period expired in 1998, in favor of the NRA-supported National Instant Check System. Some states thereafter eliminated waiting periods or purchase permit requirements. The federal “assault weapon” ban expired in 2004. Since 1987, 30 states have eliminated prohibitory or restrictive carry laws, in favor of Right-to-Carry (RTC) laws; there are now 40 RTC states. All states have hunter protection laws, 46 have range protection laws, 47 prohibit local jurisdictions from imposing gun laws more restrictive than state law, 44 protect the right to arms in their constitutions, and Congress and 33 states have prohibited frivolous lawsuits against the firearm industry.1 Studies by or for Congress,

the Congressional Research Service, the Library of Congress, the National Institute of Justice, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found no evidence that “gun control” reduces crime.2

More Guns: The number of new guns rises by about 4.5 million every year.3 There are 250+ million privately-owned firearms in the United States.4

Less Violent Crime: Since 1991, the nation’s total violent crime rate is down 38 percent. (Murder is down 43 percent; rape, 29 percent; robbery, 46 percent; and aggravated assault, 35 percent.) Violent crime dropped every year from 1991-2004, to a 30-year low; increased slightly in 2005 and 2006; and decreased to nearly the 2004 level in 2007. Every year since 2002, the violent crime rate has been lower than anytime since 1974. Every year since 1999, the murder rate has been lower than anytime since 1966. States with RTC laws, compared to the rest of the country, have lower violent crime rates on average: total violent crime by 24 percent, murder, 28 percent; robbery, 50 percent; and aggravated assault, 11 percent.5

1For fact sheets and gun law information, visit www.nraila.org/Issues/.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great post and information. Congress, state law makers, governors, etc.... seem to forget that criminals don't abide by the law. Restrictive gun laws that are passed every year only favor those who commit crimes with firearms. It does not take guns out of their hands because many are obtained illegally. Restrictive gun laws also increase the ratio of Armed criminal to unarmed person ratio dramatically. This is more fuel for criminals. For instance, I live in California and you pretty much can't get a Concealed Carry Weapon(CCW) permit here no matter what. Criminals know this...so a criminal with a gun can walk up to ANY person anywhere at anytime and know he can take what he wants with nearly no fear of the other person being armed. Only exception would be an off duty cop...and many don't carry off duty. I learned this last summer when my girlfriend and I got jumped in broad daylight in an apartment complex and the guy beat my face and skull repeatedly with the front of his handgun while his finger was on the trigger....good times. The only thing I could think of the whole time was "I have 5 guns at home that do me no good when I need them...and here this punk can walk around during the day with his gun drawn not giving a care" But if I carry just for defense I can get arrested.

Cops never found him of course. Now, if law abiding people that qualify could get CCW's and be able to carry a concealed weapon, criminals would really start thinking twice about doing something stupid. What if he draws on me first...what if he's better trained...what if his friends have guns on them too...etc etc. Of course law makers will say in the event of someone robbing you to "just give them what they ask for" Ok, sure smart guy...does that guarantee he still won't shoot you? No, not at all. He might still shoot you for a giggle or because it was a gang initiation. Then law makers will say "well citizens don't need to carry guns....that's why we have Cops" The fact that there are Cops out there doesn't seem to stop crimes from happening, now does it? Fact is Police are "After Incident Responders" Think about this....It's very true. In instances where you need to defend your life, you need to act then...not after. Waiting for cops to show up after you and your girlfriend just got shot and killed...won't help you out too much.

So again...here we have a situation that makes no sense. The Brady ban did not reduce crime by banning assault weapons because assault weapons are very very rarely used for crimes and before the Brady Ban crime was already dropping. After the ban lifted and we could buy AR's again...oh look, crime is even LOWER? So since these weapons don't effect crime....let's ban them because....ummm....well? No reason to. AR sales are at an all time high and just keep climbing. So when they federally ban these weapons, how many people are going to be out of jobs if there is no business to support the industry?? Wow...that should REALLY help the economy. Good job guys...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
As long as there are evil people there will be murder and other crimes against humanity. The question is - do we have the courage to defend ourselves against that evil.

Like Archie Bunker said when his daughter was complaining about people being killed by guns: Would you feel better if they were all pushed out windows?

Col Maddog :2rifle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts