1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's an interesting read and point. One of my friends actually brought that up at work yesterday as I have intentions to be stationed in Cali again once my tour is up. He asked if I was going to surrender my weapons and hope they give me money for it. My response...Not likely...

BLUF: I don't think any state will have the ability to enforce this if they tried. Too many vets, cops, EMT's, firefighters, etc...the working class who are proud to serve their society and believe in personal rights. Is there any talk about a state in particular trying to ban all firearms at this time?

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
...and the supreme court will override that decision when it gets there. A State must accept Federal Law above it's own, so as long as the case moves to SCOTUS this will be a fart in a teacup.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Mickey,

I hope you're right -- but I'm not so sure.

The incorporation issue is a significant one. The problem is that our courts typically interpret the law to mean whatever the court wants it to mean.

The 14th amendment reads:

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Pretty straightforward, right? Nope. The courts have ruled that the 14th amendment applies only to the amendments that they say it does -- and they haven't said it applies to the 2nd.

Now, as a practical matter, a whole bunch of states, mine included, have constitutional amendments guaranteeing the right to own arms. So such shenanigans would mostly affect the Northeast and California.

tk

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well all of that is well and good , Maybe one day the American public will realize that the Constitution is now gone.
WHY ? because we sat on our asses and let it happen thats why.
And when anyone voiced an Outrage ,they were called nuts and tin foil hats.

Remember this one Back in November :
Awww man ,just give him a chance !!!

Stupid MFs.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
For the record, I voted for McCain. But I wasn't happy about it.

I think our political problems are similar in nature to our financial problems: They been building for a LONG time.

For what it's worth, I don't give damn for either party. In the words of my hillbilly father-in-law (who may be the finest man I ever knew): They're not worth the powder and lead to blow them up.

Bush was the worst president I've seen (and I've been voting for more than 30 years). He simply didn't give damn about the Constitution or the People.

I had hoped that I was wrong about Obama -- my take was that he was just another empty suit who was good at making speeches. Unfortunately, that does seem to be correct.

But it didn't start with him. Bush did more to erode the Constitution than any president in my lifetime and Congress not only willingly went along with it, but indemnified companies that knowingly spat on the Constitution.

But Bush didn't start it either. Jackson did it, and so did Lincoln, and both Roosevelts, and Kennedy and LBJ and Nixon and Reagan and Bush and Clinton. In short, eroding the Constitution has been a national passtime almost since the founding of the Republic.

In fact, debate about what this country should be and should stand for started before there even was a country. And the powerful have been trying to pull it in one direction or another ever since.

Tyrants all.

tk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts