XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went out today. Fired 300 rounds through the XCR to break it in. Didn't have any malfunctions though I had 3 cartridges fail to fire. All Three of them had their primer struck but I don't think hard enough and only happened when the rifle was pretty hot. Anyone else have this problem? I also noticed the first 100 rounds or so the necks of a lot of casings got dented just the necks though. Anyone else experience this. I also shot 100 rounds through my Tavor flawlessly and not dent casings and no stoppages or fail to fire cartridges. I managed to sight both rifles in too. The Elcan SpectorDR is truely a great rifle scope. Clarity was exceptional and illumination was great as the sun started to weaken. The Meprolight on the Tavor though I am not as impressed with. It could be that I need glasses too but I found it difficult to shoot at anything further than 50 yards with it. My groups with it were terrible too 3 inches at 50 yards. I wonder if it is the 55gr AE going through that 1 in 7 twist barrel that is affecting my accuracy. Next time I will try the 62gr ammo. I think the Tavor might be best suited for very close combat so it may not be designed to shoot extremely accurately. The XCR shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards fairly easy. Though I must say I am rather rusty as I haven't even fired a rifle in 2 years. And I only fired pistols the last time about a year ago. I am sure with some more practice and maybe some better ammo I could bring those groups down to 1.5 to 1 inch groups. All in all a good day, wish the ranges wasn't so busy though. Definitely got some weird looks when people saw the Tavor haha.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Are your casings hitting a wall? That could explain the dents.

Light strikes can happen. If you experience them after break in, it could be an issue... but during break in, it is typical to experience some. All in all, it sounds like your break in was typical, and hopefully enjoyable. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rofl I just realized where I was first shooting the casings were hitting a beam and when I moved to another spot no more dented necks on casings. I am such an idiot lol. But I do have the question about the weak firing pin strikes, is that normal that I would have rounds that weren't struck hard enough to case ignition.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That's what a "light strike" is. The firing pin hits, but no cigar. It's normal during break in. After 400 rounds, you shouldn't experience them at all. The only time it may happen after break in is if you are using crappy or really old ammo. Had a guy who was experiencing light strikes with Guat surplus. Sure enough, our testing rifle had the same problem. So we can point that finger at the ammo. Nothing a heavier hammer can't fix.

But you should be just fine, now that break in is out of the way.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was Brand new American eagle 55gr FMJs for ammo and it actually didn't happen until about the 150th round and late like the 290th and 297th. So you figure I will have to do some more breaking in of the rifle before it is completely fixed.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I'd give it 400 rounds before you start to feel concern. Some rifles are flawless after 200 rounds, some take up to 400 rds. Depends on how tight the tolerances of the parts are.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Buy some Militech1, lube F**k out of it, shoot till very hot, relube shoot again, relube. Go home and clean your rifle, relube F**k out of it. Next time at the range do the same thing. The Militech1 has now "bonded" to your weapom, you should be good to go. :2cents: :duh: It worked for me. Good Luck. :deadhorse: :thanks: :party: :toast: :toast:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know where to buy miltech 1 in canada. I lubed the heck out of it at the range fired a bunch and lubed it again then I brought it home cleaned it good then I lubed it up again this is just with standard gun oil though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No they were definitely struck lightly. So I don't think it was bad primers.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Terra, Could this trouble be in the bolt carrier/trigger area? You may not be getting consistent hits to the primer? :2cents:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Were you using factory ammo or reloads? Take the 3 bullets that didn't fire & put them in another gun & see if they fire- that will tell you if the primers are good are not.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
No, it wouldn't be the trigger. Like I said, after 400 rounds if the problem still happens, we'll get it solved. A heavier hammer does the trick.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Were you using factory ammo or reloads? Take the 3 bullets that didn't fire & put them in another gun & see if they fire- that will tell you if the primers are good are not.
Factory American Eagle 55gr FMJ 223. I will pump a bunch more through it next week and see what happens

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know where to buy miltech 1 in canada. I lubed the heck out of it at the range fired a bunch and lubed it again then I brought it home cleaned it good then I lubed it up again this is just with standard gun oil though.
Go down and buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil they have the same properties.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So does any synthetic motor oil. I was going to put my Volkswagen special synthetic oil I use in my car which is like 15 bucks a litre in it but it would be really messy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I am not impressed I went out and put another 200 rounds through my XCR and about every 7th or 8th round a light strike on the primer. And I had one heavy strike and it pierced the primer here is pic of cartridge and the cartridge did not fire. It was one of the last rounds not to fire.

So I have had 500 rounds through my XCR and this light strike problem seems to have gotten worse and leveled out after the first 200 rounds as I didn't have a problem in the first 200. Though I had plenty of casings strike the ejection port and mark it up with brass.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this problem and yes I have been lubing it generously and cleaning it. I did notice after cleaning that the bolt and bolt carrier did not slide together very smoothly too. That be the problem? I also noticed alot of brass being ground onto the bolt carrier too. I can take some pics later if you wish to see it.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I will have some custom heavy hammers made up in a week or so. I will get one out to you. It will cure your light strike problem. I've only seen this once before. That guy is getting a new hammer too. Everything on the rifle is in spec. It's a little wierd.

In any case... PM me your address, and I will get a hammer to you as soon as I can get my paws on one.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That is a primer that is in backwards! You can see the three legged anvil. A mistake in the manufacturing plant.

Not a light strike but a reversed primer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts