XCR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Based on what it says on the website, the MSA phones don't cancel noise, they just try to limit it to 85db by clipping or other means. The Bose, which I have by the way, actually cancel noise and don't have any amplification. I have to remove the Bose from one ear to hear flight attendants asking me what I want to drink, exactly the opposite intent of the MSA.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So could you shoot with the Bose? Do they have that much sound reduction?
The Bose have to integrate the sound frequencies and levels over a small but finite period of time to apply the proper canceling signal. A shot would be too short in duration to be canceled, plus the volume of it would swamp the circuitry and it doesn't have the amplitude to cancel something that loud.

On an airplane, it's design environment, the constant noise from the jet engines and air flow are muted significantly but you can still hear it with the Bose. The cancelation isn't total because there's always that little bit of delay due to the integrating period.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Got mine on Saturday and tried them out around the house. I'm very impressed by them compared to others I've seen and tried - especially the battery compartment - once I figured out to turn them right side up to get the first battery to fall into place. I had a different pair - don't remember the brand - demoed to me in a gun store once and the clerk destroyed the ear cuff trying to install the batteries. That brand had you remove the cover over the speaker to install the batteries - not a very robust design but the MSA's inspire confidence it will be long lasting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.