XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a combination muzzlebrake and flash hider from Primary Weapons Systems and need some advice on getting it on. I don't have a vice so I'm thinking about alternatives. One that came to mine is to heavily pad some vice grips with something and use that to grip the barrel while I unscrew the existing flashhider. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Have you tried it already? I shouldn't be on there that tight. I think the recommended torque is about 15ft/p. It does get tighter the more you use it though. Apart from that perhaps take the barrel off and grip it by hand on the end while someone else tries to unscrew the FH. Be careful of the material you use to pad your vise grips if you need to go that route, I would use a soft metal like Alumin. as padding but a vise with copper jaws would be best as it speads to load over a greater area. If it's that tight I wouldn't personally use vise grips, sorry ::)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried anything yet. But 15 ft-lbs might be doable. First thing in the morning I'll give it a try. Would you suggest a penetrating oil first?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You shouldn't need it but if it doen't work try some. Just make sure you clean it off before replacing it with you new FH/MB.

It may be tighter, as these things tighten up as you use them. Honestly, I wouldn't go putting vise grips on the barrel as in my opinion there is too much potential to put too much pressure in such a small area. You will need a vise with soft jaws if you can't get it loose.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You can use lead sheets sold at Brownells to put in vice jaws, but I don't think you need the vice. I replaced a flash hider by holding the stock & placing a screw driver into the old flash hider slit & turned counter clock-wise, came off with out any problem. When I put the new one on I used a crows foot wrench, on a torque wrench & torqued to 10# per instruction.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I also had issues trying to put my fh on. The crush washer was being a pita, and I don't have the appropriate vices to hold the barrel. I ended up putting the washer in the freezer for a bit, then just taking the rifle, setting it on a cushioned chair/footrest, sitting on it, and tightening down the fh with ease ;D

don't laugh, I got the advice for the chair trick from a large AR builder :p

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two thoughts on the above.

First, the chair vice - seems like some of us would be able to apply more holding force than others and, in my case, I'm trying to have less rather than more force in that area.

Second, the concern about applying too much force in a small area. At first thought it would seem that the pressure inside the barrel when shooting would be way more force than a hand held pair of vice grips could generate. My concern would be grunging up the barrel if the jaws weren't padded with the right stuff or allowed the barrel to rotate.

I thought about basically holding the rifle by clamping onto the gas block with the padded jaws and then wrenching the fh off. On second thought I was worried that the barrel would rotate within the gas block. On third thought, I wondered if the barrel retaining bolt would keep the barrel from rotating. Then on fourth thought I was worried the retaining bolt would allow the barrel to rotate and grunge up the barrel or bolt or both.

The sitting on it idea appears to be a variant of the idea of keeping the barrel from rotating by holding the gas block. But I'm going to try just holding it by hand and applying the wrench first after making sure the barrel retaining bolt is tight.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Can't think of any at the moment, apart from finding someone with a soft jaw vise. I say go ahead and try it, but don't force anything. It will probably come of OK, as I said, just don't force anything.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well sitting on it and applying reasonable torque didn't work. I didn't want to really jump on it, so I'll try to find someone nearby with the right tools.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I think waiting till you find a vise will maybe save some heart ache down the road. I have had some bad expeiences with vise grips, and I learnt my lesson.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sig,

Do you have any Aluminium strips you can put in your vise grips as a protection from their teeth? If you have you could try holding it around the thickest part of the barrel, the chamber and trying to get it off. Just make sure you don't clamp it too hard to crush the chamber. Those grips can excert alot of pressure with little effort.

Just a thought as I know how you feel when you want to do something and can't because you don't have the tools.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know Lowe's and The Home Depot sell polymer vice inserts that have magnets to hold them to the vice jaws.

You then put whatever you want to hold in the vice and the non-marring polymer inserts hold the item without messing up the surface of what's being held.

I have yellowish-orangish colored ones in my vice. They were pretty cheap, maybe $10-20 for the set.

Well worth it. They also have angles cut into them to allow you to hold round objects like pipes with out marring them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just looked them up on Lowes site:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=212043-28920-21111&lpage=none

I guess they're cheaper than I remember, less than $10 for a pair.

Also, I'd recommend you get this as well from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...title=AR-15/M16+UPPER+&+LOWER+RECEIVER+BLOCKS

or go to DPMS or RRA sites and look for the upper/lower receiver bench blocks or vice blocks. The ones for the lower fit in the mag well. The ones for the upper won't work on the XCR-L though due to the holes not lining up with the pins since the uppers are different on the XCR and the AR platform.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now we're talking turkey! I tithe the Home Depot that's less than one mile from my house. I can see a good vice and a set of these plastic liners in my future.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Damn, $10? I may have to have a set of these on general principles.

Just in case I end up with a few more barrels and start using muzzle gadgets that are a bit more difficult to install than the Vortex. Just in case.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've got an Accu-Grip vice jaw, now it looks like I will be going to LOWES to get them inserts. You can't have too many tools. THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts