XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know if this is the right place to post this but anyway here goes. Last week I went to a gun show for the first time. It wasn't very big so when I got there with my wife I expected alot of scowls and stares because I'm black and she's white. Well, nobody stared, or scowled. We get more dirty looks at the mall and I thouht only "********" went to gun shows. As a matter of fact our van got stuck in the mud and two white guys in two different trucks got out to help me push.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
jawara,
Most gun owners are conservatives (unfortunately there are some idiots with guns) and this is the group that has led the fight for civil rights. Although we were not recognized for these firsts like Clearance Thomas, Condoleeza Rice, etc. Heck, Charlton Heston marched with Martin Luther King and look how the left has tried to discredit him. I think we as a group are particularly sensitive to rights since we are constantly under attack. I am glad that you and your wife can feel comfortable amongst the gun owning community.

SheepDog :2rifle:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'm glad you had such a good experience with the good ole boy's...lol.I believe prejudice is passed from generation to generation,now don't get me wrong you don't have to be that way just because your parents were,we all have free will and can choose what path we should take.However I'm sure you recognize the difficulty sometimes in breaking a generational cycle.Stereotypes on both sides are hard to get over sometimes,and that's a shame.We aren't preprogrammed to be that way,it's a learned response.In my opinion people that judge others by appearance alone are imbeciles.Everyone has a God given right to be who they are without be prejudged by anyone.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think also that a lot of gun owners are current or ex-military, or they have a family member who is. Military people, in general, are a lot more accepting of other people as long as they can do their job without getting the people around them killed. I know when I was a pilot I didn't care what color anyone's skin was as long as they knew what the hell they were doing in the cockpit.

Let me ask you this: Have you avoided gun shows in the past for fear of what you thought might happen when the other attendees saw you and your wife? I know I've been to a few shows in the Miami area and the number of black attendees could be counted on one hand, and I wonder if the numbers are so low because of fear of racial stereotyping and/or harassment.

By the way, this is exactly the kind of discussion Attorney General Holder was talking about when he said the country has become a country of cowards who are afraid to talk about race. (Personally, I think Holder is an anti-gun jerk, but he was right about this.) Thanks for posting your positive experience.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I really don't know if this is the right place to post this but anyway here goes. Last week I went to a gun show for the first time. It wasn't very big so when I got there with my wife I expected alot of scowls and stares because I'm black and she's white. Well, nobody stared, or scowled. We get more dirty looks at the mall and I thouht only "********" went to gun shows. As a matter of fact our van got stuck in the mud and two white guys in two different trucks got out to help me push.
First, welcome to the forum!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. My first gun show was about 35 years ago, in Allentown PA. I was hooked. Contrary to what you might expect, my impression is that the armed culture is probably less concerned about race than an average sampling of the population. Unfortunately, a lot of folks equate fringe groups with the shooting mainstream.

Where are you located?

tk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jawara,
Most gun owners are conservatives (unfortunately there are some idiots with guns) and this is the group that has led the fight for civil rights. Although we were not recognized for these firsts like Clearance Thomas, Condoleeza Rice, etc. Heck, Charlton Heston marched with Martin Luther King and look how the left has tried to discredit him. I think we as a group are particularly sensitive to rights since we are constantly under attack. I am glad that you and your wife can feel comfortable amongst the gun owning community.

SheepDog :2rifle:
I've actually felt more comforable around fellow gun owners than most groups I've been around.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad you had such a good experience with the good ole boy's...lol.I believe prejudice is passed from generation to generation,now don't get me wrong you don't have to be that way just because your parents were,we all have free will and can choose what path we should take.However I'm sure you recognize the difficulty sometimes in breaking a generational cycle.Stereotypes on both sides are hard to get over sometimes,and that's a shame.We aren't preprogrammed to be that way,it's a learned response.In my opinion people that judge others by appearance alone are imbeciles.Everyone has a God given right to be who they are without be prejudged by anyone.
I guess you could say I was "prejudging" people based on their looks because they fit the bill of "********" but the more I've come into contact with the "********" I find I have more in common with them then most black people I meet.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. My first gun show was about 35 years ago, in Allentown PA. I was hooked. Contrary to what you might expect, my impression is that the armed culture is probably less concerned about race than an average sampling of the population. Unfortunately, a lot of folks equate fringe groups with the shooting mainstream.

Where are you located?

tk
I'm stationed in Ft. Campbell (RAKKASAN!!!) KY which is about an hour east of Nashville. Thanks for the warm welcome. This XCR is going to be my first rifle. I bought Springfield XD a couple months ago, and about a month later the wife wanted a S&W MP. She didnt like it after she realised it didnt have a safety so we traded it for a Bersa .380 a box of 50 rnds and a magpul moe stock and pistol grip for my XCR, when it gets here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome to the forums, glad to hear you have had good luck with gun owners, we aren't assholes about things like color or race. Glad your here, enjoy man.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Jawara Welcome to the Family

Thank you for your service

I am glad you enjoyed your first show

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

Where are you located?

tk
I'm stationed in Ft. Campbell (RAKKASAN!!!) KY which is about an hour east of Nashville. Thanks for the warm welcome. This XCR is going to be my first rifle. I bought Springfield XD a couple months ago, and about a month later the wife wanted a S&W MP. She didnt like it after she realised it didnt have a safety so we traded it for a Bersa .380 a box of 50 rnds and a magpul moe stock and pistol grip for my XCR, when it gets here.
I know the area. My wife was born and raised in Kentucky (born in the hills, moved west in high school) and my brother-in-law lives in Nashville.

I have a SIG 225 for my wife. I put a reduced-weight mainspring in it, and it works well for her.

Again, welcome.

tk

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My wife is from a small town where everyone knows everyone's business and half the town is related in some way or another. The problem, I think, is that people don't realize that "*******" is a state of mind and not a look. Now i will say that "********" do tend to dress a particular way, which has become synonymous with ********. Camo pants or shirt, etc... are not just worn by "********." I know some senior executives who are very avid hunters and love their camo pants and shirts. You would never know they were executives if you didn't know any better. 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts