XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my XCR-L, many thanks to Sgwlower. It's been a while since I've had it but she's still a work in progress. It's a 5.56 competition length XCR-L. The sight is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24, the FAB Defense T-POD G2 bipod+foregrip, and 3 PMAGs printed by My Southern Tactical, along with the included mag and a 60 round American Tactical mag.

It looks fine in black but I feel that it's hiding the rifle's personality. Someone recommend me a color or paint job that you think would look good with this set up? Sorry if no one is into anime, just see them as girly paint jobs like you see on the sides of bombers et al.
DSC_0383 (2).JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First shots with the rifle I did a while ago, fine tuning the zero on the scope. Still a newbie so I sled on the bunny hill, placed target at 50 yards with sandbags to assist. After I got it zeroed in, I think I did not bad for the first on target shots, though it's thanks to sandbags for keeping my shots above the horizontal.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
This is my XCR-L, many thanks to Sgwlower. It's been a while since I've had it but she's still a work in progress. It's a 5.56 competition length XCR-L. The sight is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24, the FAB Defense T-POD G2 bipod+foregrip, and 3 PMAGs printed by My Southern Tactical, along with the included mag and a 60 round American Tactical mag.

It looks fine in black but I feel that it's hiding the rifle's personality. Someone recommend me a color or paint job that you think would look good with this set up? Sorry if no one is into anime, just see them as girly paint jobs like you see on the sides of bombers et al. View attachment 15269
While it's still all shiny and new, I might suggest checking these guys out

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Primary Arms has stencils that can produce good results, if you know what you're doing. Maybe it's just me, but that scopes looks a bit too far back? Careful. You don't want to wind up looking like Mr. Peanut.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Primary Arms has stencils that can produce good results, if you know what you're doing. Maybe it's just me, but that scopes looks a bit too far back? Careful. You don't want to wind up looking like Mr. Peanut.
Yeah, now that you mention it....extremely far back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't lost my eye yet! Now that you mention it, I might move it forward. The eye relief was best at that distance for 1x magnification, but I get a lot of the black ring when I go up to 8x. I'll see how it goes after I put on the ACR stock and see how it affects my length of pull and if it will pull back my eye position.

While it's still all shiny and new, I might suggest checking these guys out
Thanks. I have local companies that do that too, so I'm considering them first. $400 to cerakote the whole thing seems to be a common quoted price. Can't shoot too low of a price.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
This might be unpopular opinion, I don't like LPVOs in most applications. Think about how they are often used—either at minimum or maximum magnification. Meanwhile you are carrying all that dead weight, especially detrimental when the XCR is on the portly side to begin with. The 8x in this example, is overkill for 5.56. For sport and defense, light weight and high mobility should take priority. And going that route isn't necessarily expensive. Vortex just came out with a compact 5x around the size of a Trijicon MRO (there is a 3x too and PA will soon have their version of it with ACSS). This Vortex 5x even has integrated mount on top for unmagnified reflex red-dot. Or, you can just run offset iron sights. If you go with the 3x version, you probably don't even need irons until the optic fails. Marine and Army grunts run like this just fine (i.e. ACOG + standard AR sights).

LPVOs with max 8x make a little more sense on a DMR rifle, like a XCR-M. So, you need to buy a -M now and move your scope to that. :D

O/T: Trialed bigdaddylimited recently for giggles. It's legit. 1-month trial for a buck, plus 10% tax on cart total at check out (allegedly local county tax of theirs). $1k scope sold at Optics Planet (already under MSRP) for little over $700. Cancel membership before the trial is up. Re-up on trial the next time you need something on the big ticket side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This might be unpopular opinion, I don't like LPVOs in most applications. Think about how they are often used—either at minimum or maximum magnification. Meanwhile you are carrying all that dead weight, especially detrimental when the XCR is on the portly side to begin with.
Makes sense, since I found myself using only the min and max and not much in between and it is kinda big. However, I found the flexibility has been helpful in some cases especially when it gets out of focus for closer targets. The set was also cheaper and somewhat lighter than the Vortex UH-1 + Micro 3x magnifier set that I have for my other gun while having options for high magnification and using cheaper, smaller batteries. And 8x seems to be just enough for me with this rifle; in fact I find myself wanting to get even more magnification because I want to see where my shots are landing on the paper a lot better, even at just 50 yards. I wear glasses so maybe I have bad eyes? When I go .308, I think I'm going to 15 or even 25x if precision is a concern.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Vortex UH-1 + Micro 3x magnifier set...
IMO, this type of set ups aren't ideal either. There's the weight. And all you're doing is magnifying sight picture right along with the reticle. A small target, obscured by aiming reticle, is still that. Just bigger. Pointless.

To see shot placement better, you just need a spotter. Or one of those high-vis splatter targets. There are also various zero'ing techniques that will get you within size of a paper plate before you even put rounds down range at 100 yards. Plenty of info and details available online.

We're sort of in a golden age with optics. Lots of options and don't have to spend as much as you used to in order to get quality.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vortex just came out with a compact 5x around the size of a Trijicon MRO (there is a 3x too and PA will soon have their version of it with ACSS). This Vortex 5x even has integrated mount on top for unmagnified reflex red-dot.
Which sight is that one? I can't seem to find it out.

I like to camo mine
How is the ACR stock working for you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m happy to see this recommendation here as I’ve been eyeing the 5x Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II as well. If anyone gets one I’d like to hear about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts