XCR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
This might be unpopular opinion, I don't like LPVOs in most applications. Think about how they are often used—either at minimum or maximum magnification. Meanwhile you are carrying all that dead weight, especially detrimental when the XCR is on the portly side to begin with. The 8x in this example, is overkill for 5.56. For sport and defense, light weight and high mobility should take priority. And going that route isn't necessarily expensive. Vortex just came out with a compact 5x around the size of a Trijicon MRO (there is a 3x too and PA will soon have their version of it with ACSS). This Vortex 5x even has integrated mount on top for unmagnified reflex red-dot. Or, you can just run offset iron sights. If you go with the 3x version, you probably don't even need irons until the optic fails. Marine and Army grunts run like this just fine (i.e. ACOG + standard AR sights).

LPVOs with max 8x make a little more sense on a DMR rifle, like a XCR-M. So, you need to buy a -M now and move your scope to that. :D

O/T: Trialed bigdaddylimited recently for giggles. It's legit. 1-month trial for a buck, plus 10% tax on cart total at check out (allegedly local county tax of theirs). $1k scope sold at Optics Planet (already under MSRP) for little over $700. Cancel membership before the trial is up. Re-up on trial the next time you need something on the big ticket side.
I think you need to really start calculating the weights though. The Vortex Spitfire 5X HD Gen II is 10.6 oz. but the 3X PA Prism is 18.4 oz. (due out in August apparently). Primary Arms 1-6X or even the 1-8X are 16.9 oz. The mount for a scope will also be likely heavier. But, the versatility is something to consider, as is what you plan to use the rifle/optic for.

As for BigDaddyUnlimited....got a free trial a few years ago. Not worth it at all unless you wanted to buy a Sig (they were significantly lower priced than anywhere else...almost like LE type pricing). You could generally find just as good a deals on anything BDU had by simply searching, but that may have totally changed with the insanity of this gun market ever since the election. Thanks for the tip....might be worth signing up again to see....

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I’m happy to see this recommendation here as I’ve been eyeing the 5x Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II as well. If anyone gets one I’d like to hear about it.
Some have complained about it's small eyebox. 3x is probably a better bet, fraction of the cost of an ACOG.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Some have complained about it's small eyebox. 3x is probably a better bet, fraction of the cost of an ACOG.
Yeah, but at that point, you're talking more weight than a 1-8X24mm if you're talking about the PA 3X Prism.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, but at that point, you're talking more weight than a 1-8X24mm if you're talking about the PA 3X Prism.
Don't forget the mount. I kind of want to play with the new vortex/PA 3x and 5x micro prisms (spitfire HD gen2). If only they made a micro/t2 mount for the top. Still narrower fov than the Elcan unfortunately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@roflcopters
I’ve only shot it at 100 yards. It’s extremely accurate with factory Hornady 123 grain SST ammo. I’m glad I bought a bunch before the latest ammo panic. You’re going to love yours. We shot 3 deer with it this fall and all three dropped where they stood. I plan to hog hunt with it in May.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my XCR-L, many thanks to Sgwlower. It's been a while since I've had it but she's still a work in progress. It's a 5.56 competition length XCR-L. The sight is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24, the FAB Defense T-POD G2 bipod+foregrip, and 3 PMAGs printed by My Southern Tactical, along with the included mag and a 60 round American Tactical mag.

It looks fine in black but I feel that it's hiding the rifle's personality. Someone recommend me a color or paint job that you think would look good with this set up? Sorry if no one is into anime, just see them as girly paint jobs like you see on the sides of bombers et al. View attachment 15269
Best place to buy quality rifles , pistols, shotguns, ammo, and accessories at affordable prices from Ward Gun Auction
contact for more details and photos just contact us via
call/ : text 913-257-3205
email: [email protected]

fast delivery, face to face for local deals all tax-free.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts