XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new XCR to the range yesterday and I'm very happy to report that the rifle performed better than I expected.

The range: Markham Park in Sunrise, FL, 100-yard outdoor range. Slightly overcast and temps in the mid-70s. No wind. A beautiful day.

My brother joined me with his Mock-4gery, a Bushmaster with 14.5-inch barrel (w/pinned flash hider), iron sights, and collapsable stock. Even with the stock collapsed his rifle was about two inches longer than my 16" heavy with the stock folded.

I was firing el-cheapo Russian Brown Bear ammo. I bought 1000 rounds of this stuff for $250. Steel-cased, lacquered, and possibly loaded with all kinds of inconsistent powder levels. I left the gas valve on setting 4 for the break-in and it was throwing the cases anywhere from 15 to 30 feet. Recoil was VERY controllable. In fact, I was warned that firing a few hundred rounds in a day might leave my shoulder hurting the next day, but today I can't feel any effects at all. I love this rifle.

The XCR has much lower recoil than the AR I was comparing it to, but that may have been due to the relative weights of the different rifles — my brother's AR is quite a bit lighter than my heavy-barreled XCR. The XCR's tube stock is also much more comfortable on the shoulder than the AR's flat plastic buttstock. Muzzle climb on both weapons was about the same. There was no perceivable difference between touching my nose to the charging handle of the AR or the sling attachment of the XCR.

Malfunctions: Probably due to the low-quality ammo, I had two malfunctions. The first was a stovepipe ejection with an operator-induced double feed. When the ejection problem occurred, I initially pulled the charging handle back and didn't lock it in the rearward position, so it attempted to strip another round from the top of the magazine and tried to force it into the chamber under the already partially-loaded round. I yanked out the stovepipe and by this time the partially-stripped magazine was wedged in and wouldn't drop out of the rifle without first poking around inside the open ejection port to force the round back into the magazine feed lips. On a positive note, the experience is a good training tool to let me know how to deal with a malfunction when I'm not in a crisis. Next time I'll know better how to deal with the problem.

The second malfunction was simply a failure to feed. A quick pull and release on the charging handle fixed it quick enough.

I had fully prepared myself to experience several malfunctions with this ammo, but was pleasantly surprised with the two I had. I will definitely keep shooting this stuff whenever I'm in need of the smell of gunpowder, although my brother and I discussed the possibility of doing some reloading in the future.

The first few rounds showed a grouping low and left at 25 yards. A few clicks of the MI rear sight lined up with the center perfectly, and the grouping at 50 yards was dead-on with just two quarter-turns of the front sight post. I didn't shoot anything beyond fifty yards yesterday as I was just having too much fun shooting out the centers of the targets at 50. I'd say the groups were about three or four inches at 50 yards, but I'll concentrate on the tightest groups when I get a chance to shoot better ammo. That'll be next week when I visit my folks in central Florida.

The only downside to the whole day was a slight but noticeable trigger slap. My brother noticed it, too. After a couple hundred rounds I put on a Nomex flight glove and it wasn't a problem, but I'll be reading up on what causes this and what possible fixes there may be. That's what this site is for!

Thanks to the folks at Robinson Armament for building such a fantastic weapon!

·
Registered
22,244 Posts
Do a search for trigger slap.....someone here rounded a shelf edge with a file with good results.

Can't remember who.

Sean

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
So did you guys try that fix and what were the results?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't tried it yet, but may delve into it next week. My dad has lots of tools in his shop and I'm sure he'll be able to provide an appropriate file or grinding tool.

·
Registered
22,244 Posts
I don't have my gun yet.....it was supposed to be ready 1st week in Feb....now it looks like (from what I'm guessing by reading the forum) that it'll be at least the 3rd week in Feb.

As soon as I get it, it goes to my local smith to cut down the bbl and attach a Vortex. The lower will likely go to Bill Springfield to work the trigger. When it gets back I plan to tinker with the grip screw and take off that shelf....but I'll probably wait until after I fire it to see if it has trigger slap.

Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Sean if you have any mechanical ability you can polish the trigger surfaces and along with the grip screw mod,may find it too your liking enough not to send it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
glad you're digging your new rifle!

also shows ya robinson doesn't recommend a quality ammo for the break-in just to hear themselves talk ;)

·
Registered
22,244 Posts
Sean if you have any mechanical ability you can polish the trigger surfaces and along with the grip screw mod,may find it too your liking enough not to send it anywhere.
I'm just not 100% sure I know where and how much to take off/polish. I'd rather let Bill do his thing for the money.

Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I understand your reluctance,but it's really not hard,I know you've seen my D.I.Y trigger post.I'm ass/u/me-ing you've looked at the pics as well.As long as you don't file anything and change any angles you can only help how it feels by polishing the contact point's in the pics.If your a little shy about taking the trigger apart,It's really not that bad if you get stuck on reassembly,I can give you my cell number and you can call me for help.

·
Registered
22,244 Posts
I understand your reluctance,but it's really not hard,I know you've seen my D.I.Y trigger post.I'm ass/u/me-ing you've looked at the pics as well.As long as you don't file anything and change any angles you can only help how it feels by polishing the contact point's in the pics.If your a little shy about taking the trigger apart,It's really not that bad if you get stuck on reassembly,I can give you my cell number and you can call me for help.
Cool. I may give it a shot then. I really don't want to send the lower off after just getting it.

Thanks man. I'll look into it when the rifle shows up. :)

Sean

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
No problem,just let me know if you need anything.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So is this trigger problem really this common??? I should be getting my XCR today or tomorrow, will I be able to see this and correct it before I shoot or is it a wait and see type of thing???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts