XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Months of research, a few dollars spent and the longest week of waiting in my life= my new 5.56 Heavy Barrel XCR! Now I just need to do a little "accessory" shopping for her. :) Any recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats! She's a beauty. What kind of sling attachments are you considering? I'll second the MIAD grips and rail covers. :party:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Damn those new lowers are nice!

MIAD or a MOE grip for sure. I've got XTM covers from Magpul on my rails and they work great. If all you want to shoot is irons I'd get something nice like those HK sights or the Troy's. Expensive but solid. If you need a set of irons just for back-up, the MI's will do fine, and an optic, I've got an EOTech 553 and a Burris/LaRue set up for me. I'm really looking into one of those micro Aimpoints though too.

Plenty of mags, any you can get really even if you'll just use the beater mags for the range. Check the 5.56 page for a thread on mags, lots of good inputs in there!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Well done. Get yourself some BUIS, optic and rail covers and you will be squared away. Mags and ammo too of course

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If your short on money,magazines and ammo first,at least as much ammo as you can afford balanced by magazines,At least 10 per rifle,20 is better.If you are going for quantity on magazines try buying just the bodies for now,as the springs and followers are less likely to be affected by potential legislation.If you just buy 3 bodies instead of 3 magazines you get one body extra.C-products are $13 per stainless steel magazine vs $10 for the body.
Grips are subjective and other are quick to recommend what they like which is fine ,but they are more user subjective.The bottom line is how does it fit your hand,it matters not how "tacticool" it looks,if it put's your trigger finger weird on the trigger it won't be comfortable and can cause you to pull your shot's because your not pressing straight back on the trigger.
BUIS are subjective as well.Not everyone likes the same sight picture,again bottom line do what works best for you.Also unless you are using them for primary sights they are just as the name implies,a backup and therefore In my opinion it's silly to break the bank on them.The Midwest Industries are a really nice sight for not a ton of cash.
As for rail covers,again buy what you like.This is my suggestion,and they are inexpensive but not cheap in function.They are made by Leaper UTG, http://www.jsesurplus.com/utgrailcoverset-od.aspx
and are roughly a third of the cost of most other alternatives.Ten bucks a set covers all your rails.just my :2cents: Good shooting!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think I have her sister on order, its like mail order brides but not Russian or Asian, LOL!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
WELCOME! You now own the BEST! Don't let anyone tell you any different! NOW, are you serious about what you should put on this bare butted baby??? Next question, how much $$ do you want to spend? With this crowd, your bank account is the limit! lol! FIRST of all, you need a set of "iron" sights. Yankee Hill Machine has some nice ones for not a whole lot of money. RobArms used to keep them in stock, may get a little discount, I don't know. OK, Optics; a lot of us like EOTech scopes with Aimtech's magnifiers mounted behind with a QD attached to one OR both. I like a forward handle, forward of the magazine. Again, Yankee Hill Machine has a forward grip that looks exactly like the one on the XCR's lower trigger handle grip. Let's see, you can use a very good forward looking light and mounting hardward. Whether you get and use a momentary on and off switch is up to you. On the other side of that flash light, I have a laser, with a momentary (squeeze) on and off switch. Then, consider a bi-pod to mount under neath the front, gosh, I am really tired and I have a sinus infection. By the way, GET ALL THE GOOD AMMO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD! Then, GET ALL THE NOT SO HOT AMMO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD! Your XCR isn't worth a crap without AMMO! and it's getting tight and tighter!

COME ON PEOPLE, HELP THIS NEWBI OUT WITH SPENDING HIS MONEY. GIVE HIM SOMETHING TO DREAM FOR AND ABOUT! There are a BUNCH more things to equip your new weapon with, but the main thing is, get familiar with it and BE CAREFUL WITH YOU AND IT! Guns DO NOT KILL, PEOPLE DO.....ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, so take Our fun seriously and keep your friends, neighbors and Family SAFE!
Sinker!

Months of research, a few dollars spent and the longest week of waiting in my life= my new 5.56 Heavy Barrel XCR! Now I just need to do a little "accessory" shopping for her. :) Any recommendations?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Plan on getting Iron sights, thinking about centurion arms H&K Style dioptor sights, Or some MI flip ups front and rear. As for light thinking command arms tac light holder. Laser maybe/maybe not, new flash hider, SBR in the future, Looking at optics EO Tech, Trijicon, Millett, so many choices.

I cant wait to fondle her and rub her the right way. LOL. Yes please give me ideas so I can spend my money, I like spending money I dont have ROFL.

Thanks for all that info Sinker

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It never stops, does it. I still like my old lower. The new one is neat and cleaner though. See, that gives us something else to buy a new .308/7.62X54! RIGHT!?

MIAD or a MOE grip for sure. I've got XTM covers from Magpul on my rails and they work great. If all you want to shoot is irons I'd get something nice like those HK sights or the Troy's. Expensive but solid. If you need a set of irons just for back-up, the MI's will do fine, and an optic, I've got an EOTech 553 and a Burris/LaRue set up for me. I'm really looking into one of those micro Aimpoints though too.

Plenty of mags, any you can get really even if you'll just use the beater mags for the range. Check the 5.56 page for a thread on mags, lots of good inputs in there!

·
Registered
327 Posts
It never stops, does it. I still like my old lower. The new one is neat and cleaner though. See, that gives us something else to buy a new .308/7.62X54! RIGHT!?

Oh yeah cant wait for the .308 that and the PDW upper, so I can change out and make it a true SBR

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Here you go, I had to look up some things from YHM, that's Yankee Hill Machine around the business.....this is the exact same set of sights that I have on my XCR and for weapons use, they are fine! All they need, I think, is the top of our front sights painted red or orange to be able to use the site in thin light. Otherwise, it is a very nice and economical. Go to the YHM site to look it over, then start shopping......you will probably get 8-10 hits on dealers, etc that carry them.
S

Q.D.S. System
YHM is very proud to introduce the newest addition to our product lineup. The Quick Deploy Sight System features an automatic deploy system that springs the sight up with the push of a button. Both front and rear sights lock positively in the folded and deployed positions and are made from aircraft quality aluminum and hardcoated to military specifications.

The rear sight is available with either a single large peep, single small peep, or dual peep aperture. When folded the sight measures just .435 inches from the rail.

The front sight mounts on the same plane as the rear and uses standard hardware. It is available with either a hooded or standard stem. When folded the sight measures just .435 inches from the rail.

Q.D.S. Rear Sight $117.00
Q.D.S. Front Sight $99.00
Q.D.S. Set, Front and Rear $199.00

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought the YHM QDS for my new XCR last week. I got them from Upstate Armory Group in SC for about $200. Very friendly people, and...they had pmags in stock for $16!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
CO-WITTNESS, that's a word that I have difficulty remembering for some reason. Usually, I relate a word to something I know well and I can remember it almost all the time.

mpspringer is getting a bunch of good info. on how to trick out his new baby. I am learning some new tricks as well. It really is great how Our forum cares about our members, old and new. I realize that we may have some offal from time to time, but we'll handle that as it comes along, RIGHT JACK-O!
C

0000032541 said:
Get those H&K 416 Irons. they are the correct height and nice sights, but they don't fold. You could also look at an Aimpoint with them and they should be lower third co-witness.

get some smoother type full rail covers. they are easier on the hands.

stock up on lots and lots of GI mags for now as you can still get them cheap. if you can pick up some H&K mags then get at least 4. same deal if you like Pmags.

then plan on 10K worth of ammo with at least 1000 of those being SHTF performance ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts