XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first carbine class last week and had a blast. We shot about 480 rnds of wolf and I had no gun malfunctions. I did have one round of wolf go pfffft instead of boom, when I looked at the bad round the primer had blown out and exposed a primer pocket with no hole in it. ??? There was one guy there with a brand new POF AR-15 that kept jamming up so hard he had to butt stroke the weapon to clear it. There was 1 AK and the rest of the guns were AR-15's. The guy's with the AR's got a lot more practice with the tap,rack,bang drills than I got ;D. I had an EOtech holo sight and a vertical foregrip on the gun and they both helped with fast and controllable fire. One thing I didn't like was using a single point sling. I could not adjust the sling tight enough and sometimes when I let the gun hang the charging handle would bang me in the berries :eek:. The charging handle was great for clearing double feed malfunctions(which had to be induced with dummy rounds) the guy's with AR's had to take their hands of the pistol grip to manipulate the charging handle while I could keep my hand and gun in firing position the whole time. One thing I thought was strange was that nobody there new what an XCR was, they kept calling it a sig :duh:.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Agreed on the one point sling.

For static position shooting, they're fine (like from a tower, etc) - elsewise I go with the 2-point Vickers sling.

I run mine from the rear of the CTR stock to the 9 o'clock position at the front of the fore-end.

I've done a couple of week-long courses with my XCRs, and some shorter one and two day runs also. For my money, I'll take an XCR over any AR build any time. Period.

Typically people don't know what the XCR is either - but it's surprising how many people want to know what it is AFTER the course (GRIN)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I love hearing positive reports from xcr's in classes. :)

good to hear that sling recommendation bravo, that's what I have as well.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
In the last class, the Colt Commandos were malfing.
The S&W M&P15 was malfing.
The two Sabre Defense ARs were malfing.
You name it, if it was an AR, it was malfing. The conditions were that demanding.

There were two that ran without a problem - my buddies M14 that'd been 'carbine-ized' with an 18" barrel and all kinds of doo-dads, and my XCR.

I wouldn't swap my XCRs for ARs for any reasonable amount of cash. Sure - if someone offered me 3K for ONE XCR, then I'd swap - with the intention of selling and then buying TWO more XCRs! HA!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
HA!
Now THAT is comedy! :D

The thing was, since the carbine portion of the course only required 1200 rounds, I didn't bother cleaning my XCR.

Well, not really a cleaning anyway. After doing a bunch of 'on the ground' maneuvers (ejection port downwards, 3" off the deck) I did wipe off the carrier and wipe out the upper. Didn't bother to re-oil though LOL!

After all, it was just 1200 rounds in extreme conditions......

G

·
people who like the single point slings are generally of a much larger "stature". I would expect folks of a more average build to prefer the 2 point of which the Vickers is a fine example.

glad to hear your sig performed well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have went to a shooting course. I took one an AR15 I even used Wolf ammo. I experienced no malfunctions other than what was required for clearance drills. At that time I had a Bushy 16" heavy Barrrel, free floated. The only thing I did not like about that rifle was the 2x aimpoint. Got rid of that soon after I got back home. Put a ACOG on it and a Eotech 552. Both are excellent optics. On my current AR I have a Eotech 553.

G

·
I have went to a shooting course. I took one an AR15 I even used Wolf ammo. I experienced no malfunctions other than what was required for clearance drills. At that time I had a Bushy 16" heavy Barrrel, free floated. The only thing I did not like about that rifle was the 2x aimpoint. Got rid of that soon after I got back home. Put a ACOG on it and a Eotech 552. Both are excellent optics. On my current AR I have a Eotech 553.
what did you not like about the 2x aimpoint? I was actually considering getting one, for a couple of reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts