XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every good carbine needs a good pistol in case everything goes to shit and you have cause to clear leather.

So I went shopping...

Criteria was simple, as I only had a handful of requirements

1: Had to be a .45, because if you're using a pistol you want the baddest intentions possible. Besides, nothing screams USA like a 230gr slug

2: No less than ten rounds; retarded extended mags need not apply

3: 4" barrel or longer

4: No 1911 design of any type. I wanted something modern to complement the XCR's innovative nature.

5: Night Sights preferred

It boiled down to the following candidates: HK45, M&P45, FNP45, G21SF, XD45.

After about 2 hours of shooting, and handling, one pistol was clearly the best of the pack. The best ergos, balance, shoot-ability, and aesthetics...plus this gun is all American like the XCR.

I never thought I would be an M&P owner, but once I shot it and compared it to its JCP peers, it was clearly the better all around product...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Re: My XCR needed a companion pistol...I decided upon...

Congrats VB!

Nice looking piece.

I have a couple friends who have that pistol.

They seem to be well pleased.

Looking forward to a range report. 8)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Re: My XCR needed a companion pistol...I decided upon...

I someone knew before I even opened the thread that you had an M&P...they are great pistols. I still need to get one in .45 but for now I will continue to shoot my wifes in 9mm.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check out Greg Bell's blog on the HK45. That's what modern service pistols should aspire to.

The M&P is OK--pretty good, even. You can do better, though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great pick VB. I own two M&P's both in 9mm. One has been worked by David Bowie and the other I just bought last week, the Pro series which is an inch longer (like the XD tactical and Glock 34?).

I've been looking for 2 weeks now, trying to decide on which .45 to get. I've shot the XD, M&P, and Glock 21 SF, but cant decide which one to get. I've shot the M&P .45 extensively and it was a great one but I really loved the XD tactical too. I shot the Glock a few weeks ago and first time in my hand shot it far better than the other two. So... now I'm in a holding pattern. :-\

I think you got a winner, though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It boiled down to the following candidates: HK45, M&P45, FNP45, G21SF, XD45.

After about 2 hours of shooting, and handling, one pistol was clearly the best of the pack. The best ergos, balance, shoot-ability, and aesthetics...plus this gun is all American like the XCR.
Congrats VB. How would you rank those in order? Been thinking of an XD45 myself and am curious how the rest stacked up in your opinion.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out Greg Bell's blog on the HK45. That's what modern service pistols should aspire to.

The M&P is OK--pretty good, even. You can do better, though.
In this case, I don't think I could have done better. This is precisely why I wanted to get all the guns in front of me at the same time for a direct comparison.

The HK45 was 3rd after the Glock. I did about a hundred rounds per gun in my evaluation before settling on the M&P.

With the bore being as high as it is on the HK45, the recoil axis is above your palm instead of at your wrist, so you get that high bore snap HK and SIG's are known for, even in 9mm.

The M&P45 has a recoil pulse and axis that is very similar to a 1911, CZ75 and Glock. You get a nice push distributed across the wrist and forearm. This lends to speed. Set up steel plates, and bing bing bing, you knock em all down quickly. The M&P trigger is flat out better which also feeds into how shoot-able it is.

The HK45 trigger is just okay...typical DA/SA. I actually prefer the trigger on my USP40 tactical. It was also weird, but the corners inside the trigger guard and mag release were biting my trigger finger whenever I shot the pistol. There was also an annoying amount of over-travel.

They both have great grips. The M&P grip felt better though, and the beaver tail guides your hand to solid grip, shooting position, and aids in "thumbs high".

The HK45 has that safety lever in the way, and it dug into the web between my thumb and trigger finger. I shifted my grip to "thumbs low" and interlocked, but then it wasn't as shoot-able.

I did my evaluation with no consideration for cost of brand. The M&P just got more right than everyone else.

Here is how I would rank them

1: M&P45 (All around great performer, gets more right than wrong, the one to beat)
2: Glock 21SF (I'm a Glock guy though, so I admit some bias here and have no issue with the grip angle, but there is no denying how shoot-able it is, good trigger, crisp reset, lots of capacity)
3: HK45 (Good grip, more recoil than Glock and M&P, some quirks in the ergos)
4: XD45 (Trigger sucks, snappy recoil, grip wasn't as good as M&P or HK45 but was okay, solid accuracy during slow shooting, good capacity for the size)
5: FNP (Snappy recoil, horrible grip, worst trigger in the pack (cant carry cocked and locked either), not very shoot-able, FREAKING HUGE, good trigger reset, light single action, feels really cheap and hollow, plenty of capacity)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wow. Sounds like you really did your homework. I might copy off you when it comes time for the test.

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Excellent choice. I got one a few months ago and I like it better than my 1911. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Smith is ever going to deliver on those 14 round mags.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Quit "Jacking Off" and get a " Cocked & Locked" .45ACP Colt Auto of your choice. Forget 9mm is almost... .40 S&W can almost... Hey Guy's .45ACP does it all in Spades..... :ninja:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am gonig to ask my wife to get me one for my birthday, an M&P 45 that is. I doubt she will get it for me as we are saving for a trip to Italy next year but it cant hurt to ask right??

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am gonig to ask my wife to get me one for my birthday, an M&P 45 that is. I doubt she will get it for me as we are saving for a trip to Italy next year but it cant hurt to ask right??
Well, for my 50th my wife asked me what I wanted and I told her. She got me a Thompson 1927A1. All I had to do was pick it up at my local FFL. So no, it doesn't hurt to ask. Of course expect to go see some chick flicks with her along with dancing. What is it with women and dancing anyway? Good luck and happy birthday!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Aziator, take the wife on a cruise over there. There are some fine cruises out of Italy, and "Uncle" can save you a lot on them. Best money I ever spent on a vacation, with plenty to do and gourmet food to boot. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I lived there for 2 years so I am more interested in visiting the old haunts. We are going to be there for 3 weeks, already have the 1st class round trip tickets. I will ask her for the M&P and mention that if I can't have that maybe I can get a DIZ chest rig ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
"No 1911 design of any type. I wanted something modern" The 1911 is modern!!! Its just taking 100 years for everyone else to try and catch up :D

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I have a Kimber Raptor, Glock 21 and an FNP45.

If I was going into combat I'd take the Glock. For competition the Kimber and for concealed carry either the Kimber or the FN. The FN is so big it scares the shit out of people without you having to shoot it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
A Kimber or Colt 1911 isn't as good as an M&P ???
PLEEESSSE , out of respect for S&W i will not comment on that ,i have the models 25 and 27 DA revolvers and i really like them.
And .40 killed the 9mm radio star ,or something like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts