XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 9" 7.62x39 XCR-L Mini Buried Gas Block SBR. I've only been able to shoot it once because it's in ATF jail, but I love the ergonomics. I'd like to go ahead and purchase a XCR-M. I'm thinking the Mini version of it as well, I don't know whether to go with the GB2 or the GB3. If I go with the GB3, I don't know whether to have it buried or exposed. I went with the buried GB3 on my XCR-L because I wanted the SBR to be as compact as possible. This XCR-M will be in 308Win with a 16" barrel, so that's not as important. What are the advantages/disadvantages to each type of gas block setup?

I see that there are FAST2 and FAST3 stocks available for the XCR-M. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
The Type 3 gas system offers the most adjustability. IMO, it's better than the other two. YMMV. The Type 2 is more like an M1A tappet.

The 2 is lighter and more compact. The 3 is for guys with really long arms. The flatter cheek riser is supposedly more comfortable, though I've never had any issue with the angled one on the FAST 1 or 2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll order the Type 3 gas system with the FAST3 stock.

The only option left is whether to get the gas block buried or exposed. Would I be correct in thinking that the decision changes the location with buried making it closer to the chamber?

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
Thanks. I'll order the Type 3 gas system with the FAST3 stock.

The only option left is whether to get the gas block buried or exposed. Would I be correct in thinking that the decision changes the location with buried making it closer to the chamber?
Depends on which handguard you get. You said you wanted mini length gas.....that means the gas position will stay the same. You'll either have it exposed with a mini length upper, or buried with a standard or competition length upper (assuming those configurations are valid with the comp/stnd. uppers...I'd assume it is for stnd....not necessarily for comp....RA's web builder will tell you).

If weight is your primary concern...then mini length handguard with exposed Type 3, light bbl and FAST 2 stock will be lightest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on which handguard you get. You said you wanted mini length gas.....that means the gas position will stay the same. You'll either have it exposed with a mini length upper, or buried with a standard or competition length upper (assuming those configurations are valid with the comp/stnd. uppers...I'd assume it is for stnd....not necessarily for comp....RA's web builder will tell you).
If I start two configurations, one with a Mini Exposed Gas Block and the other with a Mini Buried Gas Block, and configure everything else the same (16" light barrel, GB3, M-LOC, 308Win, etc.), the only thing that appears to change is the location of the gas block. This leads me to believe that the location of the gas port hole in the barrel has to be different. The length of the handguard remains the same.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
If I start two configurations, one with a Mini Exposed Gas Block and the other with a Mini Buried Gas Block, and configure everything else the same (16" light barrel, GB3, M-LOC, 308Win, etc.), the only thing that appears to change is the location of the gas block. This leads me to believe that the location of the gas port hole in the barrel has to be different. The length of the handguard remains the same.
That might be how it appears....but the bbl port is in the exact same location. The reason it's a mini length and not a micro or standard length gas system is b/c the oprod distance is matched to the bbl port location. I am 100% sure of this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I placed an order for a 18.6" XCR-M Standard with a GB3 and FAST3 painted ODG. It will be interesting to see if I get it before my XCR-L SBR gets out of ATF jail.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
What time frame did they tell you?

I'm still waiting on a two pistol order from Sept.

Sean, did you ever get your parts?

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
What time frame did they tell you?

I'm still waiting on a two pistol order from Sept.

Sean, did you ever get your parts?
Yep....some of them. Not all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the XCR-M back when it came out and I’m thinking about getting a new barrel this year for the accurized gas block and chamber.

I went with the mini, and I think it’s the most comparable to something like the SCAR, saves some weight. I didn’t have the choice of a gen 3 block but I like the gen 2, even with fewer gas adjustments. I like that you can take the front cap off and clean the piston, and I like the easy access of the exposed block. I have a 300 BLK block and barrel for my L and I’m not as much of a fan of the buried block, but I do like the rotation without pressing in the detent. Most of it is preference though. The M is soft shooting with the gen 2 block, not sure about the gen 3 characteristics in recoil.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
I bought the XCR-M back when it came out and I’m thinking about getting a new barrel this year for the accurized gas block and chamber.

I went with the mini, and I think it’s the most comparable to something like the SCAR, saves some weight. I didn’t have the choice of a gen 3 block but I like the gen 2, even with fewer gas adjustments. I like that you can take the front cap off and clean the piston, and I like the easy access of the exposed block. I have a 300 BLK block and barrel for my L and I’m not as much of a fan of the buried block, but I do like the rotation without pressing in the detent. Most of it is preference though. The M is soft shooting with the gen 2 block, not sure about the gen 3 characteristics in recoil.

I have both Type 2 and 3 in different Ms. Prefer the 3. No difference in recoil I can tell....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have both Type 2 and 3 in different Ms. Prefer the 3. No difference in recoil I can tell....
Good to know, and thanks for sharing. It would make sense give the differences are minor.

I imagine that they may discontinue the type 2 at some point like the L’s type 1 bolt and carrier. I kinda want to try the type 2 gas block on my L but I don’t think they offer that config anymore. Actually, I’m not sure if I’ve ever seem that config in any vids.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts