XCR Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would recommend Meopta, for a scope that won't break the bank but still very high quality. Just saying with optics you get what you pay for big time, the Chinese stuff looks okay but with hard use it breaks down faster, and you may get a few years out of it but in the end it will break, and you're just going to be out money, where if you buy something quality you likely will have a product that will last a life time. Meopta has a lifetime limited warranty and a 30 year one on anything else. I'm not trying to shill the product but I really do feel like they are the best quality for price on the market right now. Here's a link to a website I've been considering ordering from.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
I would recommend Meopta, for a scope that won't break the bank but still very high quality. Just saying with optics you get what you pay for big time, the Chinese stuff looks okay but with hard use it breaks down faster, and you may get a few years out of it but in the end it will break, and you're just going to be out money, where if you buy something quality you likely will have a product that will last a life time. Meopta has a lifetime limited warranty and a 30 year one on anything else. I'm not trying to shill the product but I really do feel like they are the best quality for price on the market right now. Here's a link to a website I've been considering ordering from.

I'd wager Bret has more money wrapped up in high end guns than maybe anyone here based on the pics he's posted....I'm sure he knows that you get what you pay for with optics. Meopta is out of Czech Republic, IIRC....good optics. With my damaged vision, I can't tell the difference in Schott glass vs. high end Japanese stuff....so I tend to go cheap on optics now. You get what you pay for in terms of durability and clarity (for people with unfucked vision, lol). Nightforce makes some tough as nails shit....but so does S&B, etc. You can easily spend $3K on a good long range optic. Just depends on your needs, budget and how Gucci you wanna be.

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to optics and am not familiar with Meopta. I do know that my ability to shoot accurately is limited (mostly due to not enough practice and my eyes not being so great), so I don't want to waste money on the purchase of an optic that's beyond my skill level. A friend who has one on his SR-25 suggested a Leupold Mark 5HD. I can get a 3.6-18x44 for around $1,500 which is where I want to be.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Leopold makes good stuff as long as it's not in their budget line. If you can find a store localish to you that has multiple higher end scope brands, youu should try and look through some different ones to compare the image to your eye. Different manufacturers will have different coatings on their glass/prism that may or may not look as good with your vision, as it does to me or the next guy.

Also check out a website called sage rat safaris, they have a master list if you will of pretty much every major manufacturer comparing their specs side by side. Also you will discover a lot of brands are just a name on the side of an OEM manufactured optic that's made in South East Asia. So with sage rats info it can help eliminate the possibility of buying something and getting charged a name tax on an item.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to optics and am not familiar with Meopta. I do know that my ability to shoot accurately is limited (mostly due to not enough practice and my eyes not being so great), so I don't want to waste money on the purchase of an optic that's beyond my skill level. A friend who has one on his SR-25 suggested a Leupold Mark 5HD. I can get a 3.6-18x44 for around $1,500 which is where I want to be.
I stand corrected then. Apologies for the assumptions. Nothing wrong with Leupold.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A long wait is the norm, but there's not really any way to say provide an accurate estimate. Robinson's communication is good. My rifle would have been ready in less than half the time it took, but it was waiting on a barrel. Robinson seems to have really been impacted by supply chain problems. Given that gun sales are slowing, my guess is that the lead times will improve. Since Robinson doesn't even require a deposit, I'd say that they're fair about it. They literally don't receive any money until the rifle is ready.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
Is a year-long wait standard for the regular rifle models of XCR?
Typically, 8-10 months in recent years. If you want it faster....try Kermit. He might have what you want on order already or in stock as he's a regular stocking dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I purchased a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X scope. If the rifle turns out to be more capable, I can always get a better scope and use the Mark 4 on another rifle. Now I need a scope mount. I'd like the scope mount to have horizontal rings. Because the rail is plenty long, I don't need a cantilever mount. The Luepold has a 50mm objective, which based on my measurement equates to 2.305" in diameter. I'd like to keep the objective as low to the rail as possible. I'd also like quick detach levers, but they have to be on the right side of the mount given the XCR's left side charging handle. A little built in MOA might be nice. Given that the scope only cost $700, I don't want to overspend on the mount. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
I purchased a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X scope. If the rifle turns out to be more capable, I can always get a better scope and use the Mark 4 on another rifle. Now I need a scope mount. I'd like the scope mount to have horizontal rings. Because the rail is plenty long, I don't need a cantilever mount. The Luepold has a 50mm objective, which based on my measurement equates to 2.305" in diameter. I'd like to keep the objective as low to the rail as possible. I'd also like quick detach levers, but they have to be on the right side of the mount given the XCR's left side charging handle. A little built in MOA might be nice. Given that the scope only cost $700, I don't want to overspend on the mount. What would you suggest?
I'm assuming a 30mm tube, right?

Horizontal (as in a top cap and bottom "cup")?

I'm assuming the actual OD of the objective is the 2.305" diameter, correct?

Some options....all can be run with the levers on the left or right....but the levers may face forward and open rearward.

GG&G: 1.46" height from centerline to top of pic rail.

QD Scope Mounting Base for AR-15 and M-16 Rifles| GG&G tactical Accessories

Shop around via the part number. These can often be had for $160.

ADM: 1.5" height.

Much more expensive at $248 (again, shop around....you should be able to find it cheaper).

Bobro: 1.5" height $297

Bobro 1.42" height $243 and has the option of 20 MOA built in if you need it.

LaRue: 1.28" heights.

LaRue Tactical 30mm 2 Piece QD LT123 - LaRue Tactical $258

LaRue Tactical QD Scope Mount, LT120 - LaRue Tactical $324 No real discounts on LaRue unless you find a used one online.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You are correct about all of the information that I left out. I do like the LaRue LT120 best of all the ones you listed because it has the lowest height. However, I rather have a mount where the base and the bottom half of the rings are all one piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm assuming a 30mm tube, right?

Horizontal (as in a top cap and bottom "cup")?

I'm assuming the actual OD of the objective is the 2.305" diameter, correct?

Some options....all can be run with the levers on the left or right....but the levers may face forward and open rearward.

GG&G: 1.46" height from centerline to top of pic rail.

QD Scope Mounting Base for AR-15 and M-16 Rifles| GG&G tactical Accessories

Shop around via the part number. These can often be had for $160.

ADM: 1.5" height.

Much more expensive at $248 (again, shop around....you should be able to find it cheaper).

Bobro: 1.5" height $297

Bobro 1.42" height $243 and has the option of 20 MOA built in if you need it.

LaRue: 1.28" heights.

LaRue Tactical 30mm 2 Piece QD LT123 - LaRue Tactical $258

LaRue Tactical QD Scope Mount, LT120 - LaRue Tactical $324 No real discounts on LaRue unless you find a used one online.
As someone who has tried multiple "QD" scope mounts, it doesn't get much better than Bobro, it is the pinnacle of QD mounts. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
23,031 Posts
You are correct about all of the information that I left out. I do like the LaRue LT120 best of all the ones you listed because it has the lowest height. However, I rather have a mount where the base and the bottom half of the rings are all one piece.
Yeah, the height is the problem. Most are quite a bit higher than you need...or (options I didn't list) too darn low.

I've owned several of all of the above brands. They each have their pluses and minuses. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but to put it in perspective, the difference between the tallest and shortest is .22"....so not even 1/4".

I'm probably like you though. I want that thing as low as I can get it...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts