XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding which Optic to Get for my XCR

I have gone through a lot of cheap optics and now I have decided to get a decent one

I am looking at either the Aimpoint Comp ML2 2x or the EoTech 512

Why I like the AimPoint
I like the idea of 2x (During the Carbine Class I took I found myself using my Millet at 2x more then anything I found that I am able to easily engage targets from 5 yards out to 200 yards with it without any problems and I find that the low magnification helps me with target acquistion more then no magnification or medium or high magnification )

Questions I have about the AimPoint
Will I be able to use BUIS with it since it has magnification
Does it come with a mount so that I can use it before I get a better mount

Why I like the EoTech
I like the reticle much better then the Aimpoints
I like the TV Screen better then the tube of the Aimpoint

I am concerned about the battery life of the Eotech and the fact that it is not as tough of an optic

I do not have any need for NV compatiblilty

I would apprecitate any suggestions you have about this optics or any other optics that are similiar

·
Registered
93 Posts
Read my previous post and check out the below link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=374769&page=1

I like the EOtech's potential but have not been enthused so far with their lack of forthrightness about existing problems. Given my experience with the 557 and 553 product, if I was to do it over I would get an Aimpoint. :2cents:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I personally prefer the Aimpoint, but I don't like the magnified version.

The standard 1X is all that's needed to hit to 400 with ease, which exceeds the effective range of the projectiles.

Now if you want an EoTech (the AA / NVD variant) I'll sell a cheap one at a really good price.

The ONLY reason I'd take an EoTech over my Aimpoint is for use with night vision - and even at that, the Aimpoint is "OK".

Completely and totally FWIW

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I am not familiar with the 2X version of the Aimpoint, but if they have an M3 version, that is probably the one you should be looking at, as those have even more battery life. (50k instead of 20k on the 1x versions)

You will not be able to cowitness BUIS on anything with any magnification.

For me the ~1100 hrs battery life of the Eotech rules it out, period, when its direct competition features 50,000 hours. I have had a Comp M3 2moa for a couple years now, never changed the battery, and probably won't have to for quite a while. I do slightly prefer the shape of the Eotech's window (mostly due to less blockage of your view by the material surrounding the window... but like I said, the battery life difference is so great that does it for me.

Just a warning; once you own a quality optic you will never be able to go back to the cheap ones for any serious or semi-serious purpose.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have both a Eotech 553 and an Aimpoint Comp M2. I like both of them, a lot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I love my aimpoints. The choice between them and eotechs is mostly preference as both are good stuff.

I'd say pick the one you like best and continue saving up for a magnifier to put behind it.

-and no, no cowitness with buis with any magnification...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been using a Trijicon ACOG TA01 4x32 for the past ten years. I moved it from my AR to my XCR. What I like about it is that it does not require batteries, it has predesignated crosshair marks at 100 all the way out to 800 meters using 5.56 During daylight the crosshairs are black and as the light dims they begin to glow red, and at close distances the crosshairs also work in reverse and can be used as a reflex sight. When I get to conversational distances I place the 600 post or 800 oval at what I want to hit, i.e. left or right orbital socket, frontal, temporal or occipital bone, which ever may be called for and is available.

If you've really got to have all the "Whiz Bang" gear, there is also a Trijicon Red Dot adapter mount that can be placed on the scope. I thought about it but I learned how to more efficiently use what I had rather then get a new piece of kit.

I'm really making an effort to get away from batteries for my sights, inevitably they go out when I most need them. An Aimpoint Comp M that uses one AA that can be left on and only needs to be changed every 4 years is very intriguing. A Holosight that uses AA's or 123's sounds like a good idea too, they'll still go out but because these batteries are fairly common you can stock pile quite a few of them in case of an emergency. I've got a really old Bushnell Holosight that uses N batteries, but I'm too cheap to replace it. If I need batteries I only want one kind, not 3 or 4, so I use only 123's on all my duty flashlights, except my SL-20X which is rechargeable. So whatever you get, try to keep it uniform with the rest of your gear.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I used the military grade EOTech for my third tour in Iraq and loved it. It had a great battery life-I averaged 2x patrols a day for 7 months and I probably changed the batteries about a half dozen times. The picture/alignment really can't come any easier with the holographic display-I only used it once to engage in a fight that tour but after we were done, I went to scope out the room I had been shooting in to. At about 100 yards shooting from the ground to the third floor window of a hotel, I had a relatively tight (20 shots in a 1.5' radius?) group shooting in the standing off hand. The shit head sniper got away but he got the point. The one thing that I did not enjoy is that at any distance over 300, you're looking at a little bit more difficult shot (I would have gone to iron sights if I'd had the time and necessity). Bang for the buck though-it's what a lot of guys in my unit carried and it was reliable and accurate.

That being said, I've been doing my shopping and found the Leupold has a newer piece out called the CQ/T-4. It has some nice features on it like the daylight site which is simply a dot in a ring-but it can also be illuminated. On the basic setting, it will serve like a aim point or EOTech style optic for rapid acquisition at close quarters.

The difference in this piece is that you have the ability to zoom in with a turn of the bezel, going to magnification of up to 3x. In my mind, being able to switch too and from the magnification that you want is great and there is nothing complicated about it. I had friends that used ACOG's and loved them-but in CQB it really wasn't worth the hassle.

If you are military or law enforcement, Leupold also has a good discount on their products. I don't remember how much the CQ/T is at discount but I called them, explained I was military and offered proof through ID card and they cut at least several hundred off. Hope this helps and happy hunting!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I looked at that but it seems like it would restrict my FOV where the Eotech allows for almost unobstructed view when sighting. Add a 3x magnifier and you are good to go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the Trijicon Tripower? Also, what do I need to mount it on the XCR (sorry for the noob question)?

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=11

EDIT: Anyone know if there is a good 3x flip over magnifier that will work with the Tripower? Should I get high or med flat rail adapters for the tripower? I don't plan on having BUIS if I get the Tripower if that matters any.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old thread .... but i recently bought an Eotech based on member observations - nice tool. I have lots of quality rechargeable AA's so the 512 works great for me without concern about battery life. Bonus - my girlfriend's first (ever) shot with a .223 exploded a can at 50 yards ... she was instantly hooked. Oh, an she preferred the XCR to my M4, couldn't get it away from her.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I lost the info...... but there is a guy out there in cyberspace who is converting Eotech scopes to solar. Charge while you shoot. Charges about $100.00 if I remember correctly. ;D :2cents:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just found out I have a friend whose Uncle is a EOTech dealer and is willing to sell to me at no mark up so I am going with an EOTech. I have narrowed it down to 2 the 551 and the 512, I like the AA on the 512, but I like the NV on the 551, so my deciding factor is which one will give me a direct co-witness with MI BUIS ? Both of them are the same price $363. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Gunner- Eco EOTech? That solar thing sounds intriguing.

Tac- I've got a 553 so can't help with the co-witness question. The 553 is a bottom third co-witness so anything not as high as that should be good to go with what you want.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I remember reading about the Solar conversion for the Eotech. Basically the guy put a tiny solar panel on the top of the battery compartment and wired it to work. I also recall it being around $100 but I can't find him anywhere on the web now.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have had a chance to use a few different sight configurations and my input on the Eotech/Aimpoint debate is this:

If you want the most robust and battery efficient sight that can easily take any abuse you can throw at it the Aimpoint is the better choice.

If you like having a less obstructed view and like the ability to have a point of reference for setting up a reliable lead angle for moving targets then I prefer the Eotech.

Either choice is best supplemented with a Larue Po-boy magnifier.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Optic+and+Mount+Combos%3APo+Boy+Special

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I will second the Larue Po Boy. It isn't the prettiest thing on my gun but it works and is stout.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the x2 Aimpoint. You'd be better off with a Trijicon x1.5 model. No batteries needed and you can still shoot with both eyes open for CQB training.

I prefer Eotech. The 512 and 551 model are my fav. For me its the effectiveness of the reticle. Obviously the 1000 hours of continuous battery life is a concern, as some diligence is required if you use your Eotech on a regular basis. Though, I did have an Eotech mounted to a spare carbine, and batteries lasted 14 months and about 20 range sessions and one carbine class.

For Aimpoint I would stick with the M4 or M4S model because battery life is damn insane and durability is very high. Put it this way, My baby is 3 weeks old. With an M4 model he will be in kindergarten before you need to change batteries. I fully concede Aimpoint being the best combat optic around, I still prefer Eotech however. Also the M4S and M4 both take AA batteries, which I regard as being a mandatory feature

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the EOTech 512 with YHM BUIS. It co-witnesses perfectly.

And at 1100 hours I'm not worried about battery life. ::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts