XCR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new scope for my XCR but I am having trouble zeroing it in.Along with the scope{BSA Platinum} I also picked up High ring mounts,but they were not high enough.My next step was to buy La Rue Mount Qdlt-104.Every thing seemed OK,I used level-level-level and everthing seemed alright.I went to the range on Saturday but could not zero it in.I ran out of clicks,I could not bring it up anymore.In all the years of shooting,this is my first scope, so I tried to do it by the book.If there is anyone that could help me I sure would appreciate it.Thank's Michael :doh:

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Hard for me to believe your scope ran ou out clicks. But there is a chance your rings or the scope could be way out of wack. Only way to find out is to bore site it.

Best bet is to just bore-site/zero at home first from about 15-20 foot away. The key in steps #1-3 below is your upper must be secure and it must not move when making adjustments. You are trying to align your barrel with the scope here.

1) Secure your upper in a clamp or vise with the lower off and the bolt out.
2) look down the barrel. Place a target so it is on the bullseye when looking down the barrel.
3) now make adjustments to your scope so it matches what you see down the barrel. windage should be dead on, but elevation should be about 2.5" above the bullseye (since scope is about 2.5" above the bore/barrel).

4) now go back to the range and re-zero at your disired distance.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What distance were you sighting in? 25yds? 100yds?

From your post, it sounds like you have the scope mounted high on the rifle. The XCR is already higher than an AR. If you have the scope 3 or 4 inches above the bore and try to sight in at 25yds, you may run out of adjustment before you bring the point of impact up to the point of aim. Does that make sense?

If this sounds like it may be the problem, there are a number of possible solutions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the scope is mounted high,the LaRue mount is high to clear the end of the scope.By the way I was shooting at 100 yards.
Eric I am going to try your system right now,and go to the range on Sat. I will let you known how it works.But if anyone has a better idea,please let me known.I take all advice,because this is my first scope.I have been shooting since I was 9 yrs. old,until now I used iron sights.I am now 62 and want to try a scope.Thank's Michael

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Take a used case and tap the primer out. Place it in the bore and use that to look through to do an initial zero at 25 yards. The sight the scope in so they meet the same spot. The shoot the rifle and gradualy work back to 100 yards. You either have buggered rings or a buggered scope. If both are good and centered then you should only be a few inches out at 100.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Mickey, never heard of that technique before but sounds like it will work pretty well as a poor mans bore-sight.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
It gets me on paper with the first shot at 100. I only suggested starting at 25 to see if the scope was way out of line.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's MickeyC it seems to have worked.That was not an easy manover to do.I called BSA and asked them to e-mail me the complete instructions,the one's I had were missing pages.In reading them I found things I did not known about,and one was windage turret has one 360 degree turn,elevation turret has three 360 degree turns.That was one thing that held me up with the elevation.Hopefully that and with Mickey C help, will put me on the paper.I will let you known on Sat. after my trip to the range.Thank's to all for your help.Michael

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MickeyC I would like to thank you for your help in setting up my scope.Everthing worked just fine.At the range on Sat. it just took a few click's on elevation and 1 or 2 clicks on windage and I was there.Thank's Michael

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Cool, go have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Take a used case and tap the primer out. Place it in the bore and use that to look through to do an initial zero at 25 yards. The sight the scope in so they meet the same spot. The shoot the rifle and gradualy work back to 100 yards. You either have buggered rings or a buggered scope. If both are good and centered then you should only be a few inches out at 100.
How will this work with an XCR?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Correct, split the upper and lower halves. Strap to a mount and sight in. Then reassemble the halves and shoot for final zero. Same on an AR, FAL etc...

Usually you can hit paper with iron sights and move the scope into alignment before extending range. This process works when either irons or a scope are way out of whack. It works as well on a range as it does in the field.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I normally start at 25 yards and work out.If it's an old scope thats been used before,then I normally reset the turrets back to center.Then fire one shot for paper,and go from there.The only time I would boresite,is if the mounts have windage screws,like Leupold's or similar.Unless I was sighting in something that cost a couple bucks a shot,then it might be worth it.My eyesight isn't the greatest,but the method you describe Mickey is quite effective for those that can see well enough to utilize it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct, split the upper and lower halves. Strap to a mount and sight in. Then reassemble the halves and shoot for final zero. Same on an AR, FAL etc...

Usually you can hit paper with iron sights and move the scope into alignment before extending range. This process works when either irons or a scope are way out of whack. It works as well on a range as it does in the field.
Now I got it. Rather clever idea!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts