XCR Forum banner

Need some help

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chowwow 
#1 ·
I have a truglo red dot 30mm dual color optic and if I mount it on the rail the front iron sites on my sport are in the way, do I need a riser I have been asking around but with no straight answer yet on the what to use as a optic on this weapon and still be able to use the iron with the magpul flip up rear sites. Can anyone out there help. I have shot AR's in the past but this is my first owned one. Thanks to all that reply and hints.

#3 · (Edited)
Eh, you mean the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport?

Anyway, you need to co-witness the dot on the sight with the aim point of the irons. Once all three are zeroed in and true, they will all help you find your desired point of aim. Some people like absolute co-witness with the irons and others like the lower 1/3 co-witness. It's going to be up to you over what is comfortable and how much sight picture you want, but I like the absolute on my shotgun at close range.

Looking at the Truglo sight you got, you'll need a picatinny riser to bring it up to a comfortable level. The Magpul and the front iron are A2 height, which are pretty tall but help to find a good point of aim for 50 yards (to me anyway). Maybe a .5" riser will be all that you need to get it just at absolute level, I'm estimating based on the photos and .5" is the lowest profile I can find. You can get taller ones for the lower co-witness height if that's your bag; they are all over eBay and local gun stores. Just don't mount that sight too high where the irons don't appear: they are there as backups when that red dot goes out.

What other AR setups have you been used to using? Have you only used irons up to now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.