XCR Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
It really depends on what type of person you are.....which is still one of the most curious things about the platform to me. We're all different here, but there's an undeniable common thread about those who see value in this platform.
That's interesting. So what kind of person would be attracted to the XCR line? I heard about the rifle from /k/ on 4chan and that opened a library of knowledge about it. While it looks like something I want, I'm still not sure if it's the kind for me.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
That's interesting. So what kind of person would be attracted to the XCR line? I heard about the rifle from /k/ on 4chan and that opened a library of knowledge about it. While it looks like something I want, I'm still not sure if it's the kind for me.

Probably someone who likes AKs simplicity and robustness over the AR, but likes AR type optics mounting and even better ergos than either. Someone who recognizes that it's a boutique rifle and accepts that fact and realizes that even if it's not as common as an AR, as a TEOTWAWKI weapon system, you can kill an adversary with it and take their weapon should this boutique one go down for some reason (but that's pretty unlikely to happen, especially if you invest in a spare parts kit).

Basically, it's for people who don't want what everyone else has (it's unique), it's damn well designed, and don't mind a little extra heft in exchange for more reliability. Also someone who wants the "next gen" combat rifle features like a folding stock, ambi controls, monolithic upper, caliber exchangeability as well as furniture changes and unit level armorer capability.

Reactions: RobertSlaughter

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You were right but used is difficult as well. But with the way laws are going in VA it may be better to just sell it anyway. 42 weeks sucks but maybe I should keep an eye out for used.
Might of missed it, but where are you at in Virginia? I know I-81 is a pretty long drive through Virginia, but anywhere near Galax? My buddies range is only 30 minutes south of the border is why I ask.

Check out some of the NC gun forum classifieds. Every once in a while, an XCR will pop up on there. Thing is, everyone gets freaked out with a new democrat in office, but this has been the perfect storm politics wise (and throw in a virus to boot) to make it seem like there is a surplus of toilet paper compared to guns, ammo and reloading supplies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You were right but used is difficult as well. But with the way laws are going in VA it may be better to just sell it anyway. 42 weeks sucks but maybe I should keep an eye out for used.
Might of missed it, but where are you at in Virginia? I know I-81 is a pretty long drive through Virginia, but anywhere near Galax? My buddies range is only 30 minutes south of the border is why I ask.

Check out some of the NC gun forum classifieds. Every once in a while, an XCR will pop up on there. Thing is, everyone gets freaked out with a new democrat in office, but this has been the perfect storm politics wise (and throw in a virus to boot) to make it seem like there is a surplus of toilet paper compared to guns, ammo and reloading supplies.
Pretty much opposite side almost of that north but more east of richmond

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
What kind of guy buys an XCR? Patriots with huge balls and a beautiful wife. That pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
hmm......

Seank said:
Probably someone who likes AKs simplicity and robustness over the AR, but likes AR type optics mounting and even better ergos than either. Someone who recognizes that it's a boutique rifle and accepts that fact and realizes that even if it's not as common as an AR, as a TEOTWAWKI weapon system, you can kill an adversary with it and take their weapon should this boutique one go down for some reason (but that's pretty unlikely to happen, especially if you invest in a spare parts kit).

Basically, it's for people who don't want what everyone else has (it's unique), it's damn well designed, and don't mind a little extra heft in exchange for more reliability. Also someone who wants the "next gen" combat rifle features like a folding stock, ambi controls, monolithic upper, caliber exchangeability as well as furniture changes and unit level armorer capability.

Mjorin said:
What kind of guy buys an XCR? Patriots with huge balls and a beautiful wife. That pretty much sums it up.
It's all been said. :D

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I'm concerned about the adjustable gas system though.
You're kinda overthinking it. It's not an infinite or near-infinite system. You run it at the setting that runs and you pretty much leave it there unless you start to run into reliability issues (either from environmental or carbon build-up, or when running a can). As far as adjustable systems go, it couldn't be simpler from the operator's POV.

My biggest concern is with Robinson Arms itself with the apparent troubles I've been hearing about their business. I'm afraid that the XCR will end up going the way of the Bushmaster ACR
Apple's to oranges. Bushmaster was sold, resold and mismanaged into the grave. It was run by corporate raiders who were only interested in equity and flipping the company for quick profit. They managed to fail at manufacturing and selling ARs, the most popular MSR platform in America. How is that even possible?? Then, they had rights to the Masada/ACR, which was one of the most highly anticipated new designs, and managed to F that up too.

RA is privately owned by the inventor. In a sense it is more stable than the sort of management model Bushmaster was under. RA is slow and steady. It's the turtle in the turtle vs hare fable. RA just has to do well enough to survive year-over-year. Yes, orders take time to fill and interactions with them require patience. But, as long as you enter with both eyes open, have your rifle and spare parts—i.e. insulate yourself from the ups and downs of RA, its business and the firearms industry at-large—you're set for life. It's built like a tank, also why it's a pig in a world of sub-7lb ARs. And, like a pig, it eats just about everything.

That's interesting. So what kind of person would be attracted to the XCR line?
Simply put: The XCR is not for sheeple.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts