XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I almost wet my pants upon seeing the new AR180 upper from Brownells. It fits on any AR lower. Watch the video and see for yourself. I'm a huge AR180 fan, I didn't see this one coming. I think they did a great job. The only downside is the $799MSRP for the upper. But that's the way it goes.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
This looks AWESOME. I'd want a different charging handle set up but overall....this is a great replacement for the piston fad in ARs. I am curious as to the weight though and wonder if "pistol" length bbls will be available.

I've got a few SBR registered lowers...but I don't want to convert to a folder set up on those since they are currently dedicated to AR SBR uppers. But, a new "pistol" build with a folder would be tits.

Reactions: fmunk

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
This is the coolest thing I've seen since the XCR. I even don't hate the retro, reciprocating charging handle.

Would look great in Tiger Stripe......

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything looks better in tiger stripes!

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
Hmmm....guaranteed FOREVER too. I'm interested. Not ready to buy but definitely interested.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Charging handle definitely needs to be changed.

Other than that it’s a cool design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Rail and BCG reminds me of the PS90. Interested for sure.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
I know they probably didn't want to change the Stoner design too much...but in this day and age I don't understand why they wouldn't have swapped to a left side charging handle.

Reactions: TTEngineer

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I know they probably didn't want to change the Stoner design too much...but in this day and age I don't understand why they wouldn't have swapped to a left side charging handle.
I eventually had a similar thought, why not ambi? It doesn't appear (to me, a layman) that an ambi charging handle is too much additional consideration in the design stage.

Making ejection swappable too, that I could understand as a tall order. A lot of voodoo happening there.

We should be at the point where everything has L/R charging.

Reactions: TTEngineer

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, thought the same thing with the charging handle. That's why it has the crank so you can reach over. I think they were worried it wouldn't look enough like an AR180.

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
That crank looks horrible. Seems to me a regular AKesque charging handle would be easier to work especially if one's familiar with the AK manual of arms on charging it under the rifle.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well they said PWS helped design it, so let’s hope that PWS play around with the design and develops a similar upper with a left side charging handle and a folding stock.

I can tell you it would probably be WAY light if PWS built it.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
Well they said PWS helped design it, so let’s hope that PWS play around with the design and develops a similar upper with a left side charging handle and a folding stock.

I can tell you it would probably be WAY light if PWS built it.

Very curious to see the final weight ends up being for a 16" and a 10.5"ish size on a regular AR lower.

To me, this makes a LOT more sense than a piston AR.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
It's only in .223 Wylde currently?

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
It's only in .223 Wylde currently?
Most everything .223 is coming in as Wylde it seems....apparently, it's accurate and handles a wide variety of ammo.

AFAIK it's only .223 and 16" bbl length.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
That would be the only downside for me currently, the only other caliber I am looking at adding is 6.5 Creedmor in a rifle I could never shoot to it's potential. But enjoy trying.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
That would be the only downside for me currently, the only other caliber I am looking at adding is 6.5 Creedmor in a rifle I could never shoot to it's potential. But enjoy trying.
You don't own a 5.56? What are your XCRs chambered in, 7.62x39?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I have not been keeping up on these new calibers, so I assumed because it said .223 Wylde that I could not shoot .556 through it.
Still haven't looked it up but this is a more powerful round like when they went from .223 Rem to .556?
Magazines and bolts are backwards compatible as well to .556?
I have both .556 and 7.62 now for the XCR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not been keeping up on these new calibers, so I assumed because it said .223 Wylde that I could not shoot .556 through it.
Still haven't looked it up but this is a more powerful round like when they went from .223 Rem to .556?
Magazines and bolts are backwards compatible as well to .556?
I have both .556 and 7.62 now for the XCR.
.223 Wylde allows sitting both .223 and 5.56. Unlike a .223 barrel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts