XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/index.html

Saw this in a gun rag at the bookstore and checked it out on-line. Other than the sticker shock from the price tag this looks like a neat rifle. The bolt would be a little difficult to manipulate so close to your shoulder and the bolt track is more open than I'd care for, to much room for crud to get into it and jam things up. The monolithic rail on top is great for NV but the trend in a bulk amount rail space is a little over done. A bipod and maybe a PEQ is about all I'd think you'd need to mount. I cursed what little protuberances were on my M24 when dragging it through southern Georgia.
All in all, still a neat shooter. Like to see how it turns out. Another SLC company, maybe a little union with RobArm could be in order?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Oh, those are pricey. Neat looking little rifle packaged pretty small.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This makes me curious about small gun companies. How do they break-in and stay in business? Robarms had a track record and came up with a superior weapon for a good price at the right time. What about Desert Tactical Arms -- is it an established company? Who would buy this rifle? It's way too expensive for LE and military. At twice the price, is there any way it could be twice as good as the XCR, Sig 556, or other such rifles?

(I wonder the same thing about women's shoe stores. How do they all stay in business? ???)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A dedicated following and sole-source for spare parts is always a good way to succeed.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The thng is they aren't to expensive for Military. Most infantry type units these days have some sort of sniper teams. They usually have .308 but want something bigger. We are starting to see more and more of the .338 lapua. A rifle that MSRP is $3700 would probably be closer to $3k for the military. Some units have the ability to purchase what they want and therefore can afford to frequent these smaller buisnesses that usually give better service and offer a better product. $3k is nothing for a sniper rig in the military.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Complete M24 kit is $5K.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DTOM, yep, complete kit. For whatever reason they feel they need to have Trekker iron sights included and not some sort of cheaper, sturdier version. The first Gen irons were Redfield Palma's. You get a D kit (deployment kit) with spare parts and what not. Of course the rifle and optic. The Harris bipod is optional, doesn't come in the kit.

That's w/ the standard Leupold Mk4 M3, the unit's still have to get the massively huge, but useful, PVS10. We had 6x Raptors before we could get hold of those so we still had to swap optics. Our gear was still pretty new, our BZO shift was small so it worked out for us.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think its a pretty handsome rifle. I have been debating getting into some long range shooting and a rifle like this is right up my alley though a little expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts