1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
This may affect your projects, @Chowwow , and may affect others here as well.
Summary of Final Rule 2021R-05F | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Viewed together with other rule changes such as whatever internal rule is leading to denial of form 1 suppressor applications, it really looks like an earnest effort to restrict previously lawful activity. I’m feeling so frustrated about the senselessness of these rules.
Screw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
So anyone think they are going to potentially target upper receivers as the 'firearm' and require serialization for all uppers (no grandfather clause from what that link hints at)?

My gut feeling is this is a regulation that is MUCH more invasive than merely being about 'ghost guns'.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
I’m not sure.

I honestly think this is mostly bark and no bite.

They can’t make law, they get challenged left and right now and loose every time.

If you read the briefing it is filled with holes.

I’m not as doom and gloom, but fuck them either way.

Appreciate your perspective. I'm sort of of the same mindset; i.e., fuck 'em.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The word "parts" appeared in what the invalid invalid read off the teleprompter. That is obviously their buzz word. Somehow, they are going to try to require a background check for buying all of the non-serialized parts.
If not that, they are obsessing on "everything needed to put together", and they will go after sales of "parts kits" created by stripping everything off a receiver.

Also...

I think they just eliminated the requirement of a Type 7 FFL for manufacturing firearms.
This morning, and for the last 246 years (or at least since 1968), a person could make a firearm themselves, but it would not have a serial number, and could not be legally sold. Quite the contrary to the claims, a serial number does not make a firearm traceable, it makes a firearm into a saleable commodity. Without a serial number, it is a boat anchor.
This afternoon, they want everyone to get a serial number assigned to their undocumented firearm, and every future firearm they might make. And with serial numbers, they become commodities. Anyone can set up assembling and finishing and sell every single one they make, without applying for, getting approval for, or paying for a Type 7 FFL.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for tagging me and bringing this to my attention. I've been watching the situation since yesterday when it kinda surprised me. From what I understand, all this really does is close off people's ability to buy 80% lowers and those oil filters to convert into cheapo suppressors and get away from having them serialized. As Sean once said a while ago, the dream of "ghost guns" is just that. After all, the law can still get a warrant to track one's purchases that add up to the number of guns that you own if they want to, and even owning one serialized firearm puts you on the list, negating the camouflage a ghost gun might provide. Making homemade guns for yourself (and not for sale) is still untouched legally speaking, so my plans for the XCR lower as well as other 3D print designs should still be able to go on. This does put the kibosh on one idea I had though: I considered sending a modified version of the design to a machine shop to make an 80% version that could be made a bit cheaper with a faster turn around, then have it shipped to me so I would finish it with a smaller machine. Now I have to consider FFL machine shops or buying my own machine to do it. Anyway though, it's not a huge deal to me; I always knew that the 80% lower trend was living on borrowed time anyway, and the local gov already knows how much I make and how many cars I own, let alone guns, so it makes not much difference.

I think they just eliminated the requirement of a Type 7 FFL for manufacturing firearms.
  • Non-FFLs may mark PMFs for a licensee if done under the licensee’s direct supervision.

• FFLs may adopt existing serial numbers, including adopting the unique identification number previously placed on a PMF by a nonlicensee, under certain conditions.
I'm not sure if that's the correct reading of the rules but I doubt this loophole was intended (or exists). I'm going to let people who are better at interpreting these kinds of orders to digest what's been given to us. Although I don't expect to use this rule to start selling complete lowers in limited quantities. Though even before this order, I was unsure how to distribute these dimensional drawings/CAD files legally to people who wanted them. AR-15 and AK-47 dimensions are easily available online, but I've heard varying testimonies ranging from it's legal to post detailed data online to requiring an FFL just to release that data. I'm still trying to figure this out in the mean time.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
So obviously 80% lowers are being targeted. I'm assuming buying a Defense Distributed CNC (obviously not the best quality) and making your own lower from a chunk of 7075 is also going to be outlawed? Does anyone know for sure? Sounds like making your own firearm from scratch even, may be illegal unless you serialize it and then do a background check at some point.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That’s the thing, they would have to change law for home made guns to become illegal. And if they say they all need serial numbers, law would still need to be changed because serialized firearms can be transferred, making DIYrs manufactures of transferable guns.

Frankly it’s a mess which is why I don’t take this too seriously.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
That’s the thing, they would have to change law for home made guns to become illegal. And if they say they all need serial numbers, law would still need to be changed because serialized firearms can be transferred, making DIYrs manufactures of transferable guns.

Frankly it’s a mess which is why I don’t take this too seriously.

I think that's the real problem though....they are making 'rules' that have force of law without going through duly elected representatives who actually are supposed to be the ones making the legislation.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm assuming buying a Defense Distributed CNC (obviously not the best quality) and making your own lower from a chunk of 7075 is also going to be outlawed? Does anyone know for sure? Sounds like making your own firearm from scratch even, may be illegal unless you serialize it and then do a background check at some point.
That's not what I interpreted from the reading:

Definition of “Frame or Receiver”

• Definition of a “frame or receiver” includes a partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver that has reached a stage in manufacture where it may quickly and easily (“readily”) be made to function as a “frame or receiver” and expressly excludes a block of metal, liquid polymers and other raw materials or a frame or receiver that has been destroyed.
  • Licensed manufacturers or importers are required to abide by the new marking requirements only for new firearm designs.
So I take this that me making a receiver out of raw materials like 7075 or PLA is excluded from these rulings, and that if I was an FFL holder and I designed a brand new gun I would have to define the "receiver" based on these guide lines. IE: if the XCR or the AR-15 were brand new designs and released after these orders took effect, what we call the "Upper Receiver" will be the serialized part, much like how the CZ Scorpion Evo is classified. Again, much like building your own car or air plane, you can build your own gun without the need to report as such as long as it follows regulations when you use it in public.

Here is a practicing lawyer's initial take on the orders:

This does raise a conundrum for me though. I had planned to use my AR FCG lower for an SBR build, but considering the tightening on the timing for building NFA items, I might choose to just register my default XCR lower as an SBR and keep the AR FCG lower under the radar instead. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Sounds awfully vague....as it they could just decide to prosecute you on a whim....and I think that's the point.

Reactions: bgreed

·
Registered
53 Posts
The word "parts" appeared in what the invalid invalid read off the teleprompter. That is obviously their buzz word. Somehow, they are going to try to require a background check for buying all of the non-serialized parts.
If not that, they are obsessing on "everything needed to put together", and they will go after sales of "parts kits" created by stripping everything off a receiver.

Also...

This morning, and for the last 246 years (or at least since 1968), a person could make a firearm themselves, but it would not have a serial number, and could not be legally sold. Quite the contrary to the claims, a serial number does not make a firearm traceable, it makes a firearm into a saleable commodity. Without a serial number, it is a boat anchor.
This afternoon, they want everyone to get a serial number assigned to their undocumented firearm, and every future firearm they might make. And with serial numbers, they become commodities. Anyone can set up assembling and finishing and sell every single one they make, without applying for, getting approval for, or paying for a Type 7 FFL.
they plan on making a new ffl “type” that has the ability to mark firearms. They won’t let just anyone mark just anything asit wouldn’t help them trace anything. So making people go to the “marking ffl” and requiring the serial number to start with that ffl number and THEN your individual numbers you choose, they can trace it back to the exact birth person. They’ve already hinted that was the plan from the beginning. It’ll come out as just what I said above in a few short months when they explain the process they want people to do.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
they plan on making a new ffl “type” that has the ability to mark firearms. They won’t let just anyone mark just anything asit wouldn’t help them trace anything. So making people go to the “marking ffl” and requiring the serial number to start with that ffl number and THEN your individual numbers you choose, they can trace it back to the exact birth person. They’ve already hinted that was the plan from the beginning. It’ll come out as just what I said above in a few short months when they explain the process they want people to do.
That makes the most sense from reading the release on their website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts