XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been in to MSR’s for thirty years, but know next to nothing about the XCR. I’d like to add one to my collection, so I need to increase my knowledge.

·
Registered
22,123 Posts
What's your question though?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Start with Military Arms Channel on youtube. They released a video very recently on the XCR-L and is basically a guided tour of the platform.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did watch the Military Arms Channel video as well as the Small Arms Solutions video. They were both very informative, but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I’d like to add one to my collection simply because it’s a unique design. I’m open to getting a 5.56x45, 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39. I’m more inclined to get an SBR, but would like to be sure they run as reliably as a full length rifle. Most importantly, I’d like to know what to avoid when buying one. I see on their website that there are different handguard lengths and hidden gas blocks. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a hidden versus exposed gas block? Other than that, I don’t know the questions to ask, but am eager to learn.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
With regards to 7.62x39, getting reliable AR-pattern mags is hit or miss. Sean K's probably tried every option available by now or close to it. On shorter barrels, the port sizes on the gas plugs tend to be incorrect. Sean K. and Navalbeaver can chime in with details.

Navalbeaver and Gramps96Kz are authorized Robinson dealers.

What to avoid? this is just my opinon... The early examples. See this page for reference: https://robinsonarmament.com/xcr-part-identification/ Stuff like the Type 0 BHO, Type 1 trigger. IIRC, Type 1 gas system (and older) and BCGs have been discontinued (so once RA's stock runs out, you won't be able to get a spare from them). Current standard is Type 3 gas system with Type 2 BCG. Parts orders can take a long time to get delivered. So you might as well order along with rifle. Type 2 trigger is more desirable than Type 1.

·
Registered
22,123 Posts
I did watch the Military Arms Channel video as well as the Small Arms Solutions video. They were both very informative, but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I’d like to add one to my collection simply because it’s a unique design. I’m open to getting a 5.56x45, 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39. I’m more inclined to get an SBR, but would like to be sure they run as reliably as a full length rifle. Most importantly, I’d like to know what to avoid when buying one. I see on their website that there are different handguard lengths and hidden gas blocks. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a hidden versus exposed gas block? Other than that, I don’t know the questions to ask, but am eager to learn.
If reliability with any mag is your goal, 5.56 is the best bet.

The SBRs may take a little more work to get running 100% than the 16" bbl or longer....that's just been my unlucky experience owning 10 XCRs. You will probably get a good one and won't have to worry about it. If you do have a problem, RA will fix it....though that may take a while. If you decide to go it alone and void your warranty....this is the stupidest simple platform you can buy and with relatively few tools, you can fix most problems yourself. The forum here is pretty good with diagnosis....

I personally wouldn't shy away from older versions....but if you want all the upgraded/newest configuration items.....you're better off buying new from someone like Nate or Kermit than to buy a used one "cheap" and then upgrade it (I've done it both ways....from a cost standpoint, you're better off buying new).

IMO, the Type 3 gas system is the best....though the Type 1 works just fine even with SBRs...it just doesn't have as much adjustability and the gas dial design, while easier to take apart, is more susceptible to getting launched down range if you make the mistake of not having it properly positioned (I've never had this happen, but there have been 1 or 2 people that have come to this site that have). Stay away from Type 0 gas that requires a tool to adjust.

The "enhanced trigger" is another must have, to me. It's much better than the original.

Handguard length is completely subjective as is gas block placement. That said, on a DI AR, the longer gas systems typically run smoother....but you have to balance that with gas port position and dwell time when talking about running SBRs. Keep in mind though...this is a long stroke GP gun....and that's not an apples to apples comparison. Personally, I try to go with the longer gas systems when possible on the SBRs, but I've never run a micro length XCR either, so I can't compare. I don't notice a HUGE difference with a mini vs. stnd. length gas system other than the fact that the shorter bbls that required the mini length gas do have more recoil...but again, it's not a massive difference even in 7.62x39 (or .308 in my 12" bbl -M).

Hidden vs. Exposed gas blocks...again, personal preference. If you have a Type 1 or 2 Gas block...you can't hide either of them. Obviously exposed blocks are much easier to adjust and do any maintenance on...but I do really like certain bbl lengths with the buried Type 3 block in terms of the look (16" bbl competition length HG w/ stnd length gas and 9.5" bbl stnd length HG w/ mini length gas).....but a 9.5" 5.56 is ballistically losing a lot over an exposed 11" bbl....so you may want to go with practicality over looks. Besides, it's largely personal preference.

HTH,
Sean

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Buried Type 3 still adjustable by hand, but need a tool of some kind (i.e. bullet or other makeshift tool)?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, I really appreciate all the information you've provided here. BTW, I'll definitely be buying new.

With regards to 7.62x39, getting reliable AR-pattern mags is hit or miss.
I use the D&H and RZE Unimags in my M16A1 and they run 100% with a 7.62x39 upper. So, I consider them to be 100% because a full auto Colt lower is the gold standard. However, I wouldn't assume they'd run 100% in a different platform, though I wouldn't blame the magazines if they didn't.

Navalbeaver and Gramps96Kz are authorized Robinson dealers.
Do they have websites?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have 7.5” 5.56 and 300 Blackout bbls. No problems with reliability other than with my 5.56 bbl, if the outside temp gets down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit I have to open the gas 1 setting. If it gets below 40 degrees, another click more gas is needed. No big deal, and I suppose it could vary depending upon the gunpowder and load being used. With the Blackout bbl it’s set it and forget it. I set mine so it JUST functions properly. My various caliber 16” bbls are set it and forget it.

i prefer my gas blocks to be outside the hand guard. Your tastes may differ.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would someone please explain to me about the gas blocks or provide a link to a website somewhere that does? On their configurator, Robinson shows "L GB2" and "L GB3" for the standard exposed gas block XCR. They show "L GB3 Micro" for the Micro XCR. Then there's this one linked below for sale that doesn't even seem to be configurable on Robinson's website. How can that be?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872283694

The difference between an exposed gas block and one that's not is obvious. But what are these other differences?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The linked picture is a type 2. Similar to the original M setup. It's a tappet/short stroke setup with specific oprod and gas tube. It will not fit under the handguar.

Type 3 is arguably the standard now and is probably the best option. Long stroke, works with legacy op rods with the appropriate gas tube. It will fit under the handguard. Also available on the M but was added well after the M's introduction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I have a couple of more questions. Why is the key mod upper $100 more than the m-loc upper? I'm honestly not really familiar with either. How long does Robinson typically take to build a rifle?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I have a couple of more questions. Why is the key mod upper $100 more than the m-loc upper? I'm honestly not really familiar with either. How long does Robinson typically take to build a rifle?
The keymod should be the cheaper option. Not sure if it's a machining time or just the popularity tax but Mlok has been more expensive since they started offering them.

I usually get quoted 6-8 weeks for complete rifles. The last two I ordered were closer to 4 but I'd say that's the exception, not the rule. With the covid craze, I'm guessing it'll be closer to 8 with a good possibility of it being more. That's a complete guess though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those times are certainly reasonable. More important than the time quoted is that they can actually deliver in that amount of time. Based on your experience, it seems that they can, so I'll move forward.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What 7.62x39 twist is better for the 9.5" barrel? My Swiss Arms 553R and Arsenal SLR-107CR both have 1/9.44" twists, but their barrels are 11.9" and 12.5" respectively. I want to be sure I get enough twist, but don't want to over do it.

·
Registered
22,123 Posts
What 7.62x39 twist is better for the 9.5" barrel? My Swiss Arms 553R and Arsenal SLR-107CR both have 1/9.44" twists, but their barrels are 11.9" and 12.5" respectively. I want to be sure I get enough twist, but don't want to over do it.
You don't have a choice. Pretty sure they're all 1:10s from RA....even though the configurator is showing them as 1:7. Just checked my 16" x39 to be sure...it's 1/10. Pretty positive my 9" is also a 1:10.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I placed an order today for an Olive Drab Mini SBR in 7.62x39 with a 9.5" barrel and M-Lok rails. They're supposed to call me for payment information.

·
Registered
22,123 Posts
Did you order a mini length upper with the exposed block or a standard length upper with the buried block?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts