XCR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I took my XCR-L out today and sighted in the ACOG on its new American Defense Manufacturing mount. The little drop that this mount offers versus the too high factory mount put the ACOG at just the right height.

Because it's made in the same factory and looks the same as the BVA, I started with 20rds of Golden Tiger 124gr FMJ through an RZE Unimag. It functioned 100% and ejection was about 8'.
Next I shot 20rds of Wolf 125gr FMJ copper jacket through an RZE Unimag. Again, it functioned 100% and ejection was about 10'.
Next I shot 20rds of Wolf Military Classic 124gr FMJ through an RZE Unimag with 100% function and about 8' ejection.
Finally, I finished off with 2x20rds of Tula 122gr FMJ copper jacket. The first 20rds was fed from an RZE Unimag and the final 20rds were fed from an ASC 20rd magazine.

Additionally, I shot 20rds of the BVA 124gr FMJ through an AK that I brought. All fired without issue, so I'm guessing that it's a hard primer issue and the AK's hammer spring is enough to fire this ammunition reliably while the XCR's isn't. Of course the easy solution is to just avoid using the BVA ammunition in the XCR-L so long as I don't have failures to fire with any other ammunition.

Oh...did you find you could load 22 rounds in your 20 round ASC mags like I did? I haven't test fired them yet....but 22 vs. 25 in the Unimag is almost worth the trade off if the 22 is 100% reliable at a lower gas setting that the Unimags (and to be fair, my Unimags....once I discarded the bad ones (about 1/3rd of them) have been 100%....but require 1 position higher in gas setting).
Yes. My ASC magazine would take 22rds without issue. The RZE Unimags seem to be reliable, so I'm sticking with them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bret, congrats on finally getting the XCR home! You were the one who pointed me in the XCR direction and I’m grateful for that. My x39 conversion kit should be on its way so I’ll join in the ammunition experiments. I have a good amount of Tula but also a variety of brass cased x39 like Norma and S&B that I’m eager to try out.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
I took my XCR-L out today and sighted in the ACOG on its new American Defense Manufacturing mount. The little drop that this mount offers versus the too high factory mount put the ACOG at just the right height.

Because it's made in the same factory and looks the same as the BVA, I started with 20rds of Golden Tiger 124gr FMJ through an RZE Unimag. It functioned 100% and ejection was about 8'.
Next I shot 20rds of Wolf 125gr FMJ copper jacket through an RZE Unimag. Again, it functioned 100% and ejection was about 10'.
Next I shot 20rds of Wolf Military Classic 124gr FMJ through an RZE Unimag with 100% function and about 8' ejection.
Finally, I finished off with 2x20rds of Tula 122gr FMJ copper jacket. The first 20rds was fed from an RZE Unimag and the final 20rds were fed from an ASC 20rd magazine.

Additionally, I shot 20rds of the BVA 124gr FMJ through an AK that I brought. All fired without issue, so I'm guessing that it's a hard primer issue and the AK's hammer spring is enough to fire this ammunition reliably while the XCR's isn't. Of course the easy solution is to just avoid using the BVA ammunition in the XCR-L so long as I don't have failures to fire with any other ammunition.

Yes. My ASC magazine would take 22rds without issue. The RZE Unimags seem to be reliable, so I'm sticking with them.
JFYI, you can reverse the throw on your ADM lever to make it open the other direction....if that matters to you and if you didn't know.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Northern, I'm definitely interested in hearing about the results with all the types of 7.62x39 that you have.

Sean, I knew that I didn't want the lever on the left side because it's a left side charging rifle. I didn't know that the lever could be reverse direction on the same side. Thanks for letting me know. It seems to be out of the way, so I'll just leave it.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Northern, I'm definitely interested in hearing about the results with all the types of 7.62x39 that you have.

Sean, I knew that I didn't want the lever on the left side because it's a left side charging rifle. I didn't know that the lever could be reverse direction on the same side. Thanks for letting me know. It seems to be out of the way, so I'll just leave it.
Yeah, I just recently found out. All my XCRs that have ADMs have the levers on the right side for the same reason as you....they get in the way of the charging handle. The only reason I swapped them around to open to the front is I figured most dynamic movements are going to be forward and if the lever catches on something it might be more likely to break the lock and open it. I don't know that that is a particularly valid concern...just seemed logical, though I admit it may be more likely having it face rearward that it will get caught on your own gear. I just didn't know they could be reversed and thought it was a cool fact about their mounts that was worth sharing.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
@Bret
Regarding ammunition, I just had time for a brief run to the range to test fire my new 9.5” 7.62x39 conversion kit that @Gramps96Kz recently sent to me!
I fired one mag each of Tula 122 gr, Red Army 122gr., and Norma Tactical 124 gr. All on gas setting 4, which I will try turning down next time I get range time.
Zero failures to feed, but one light strike each on Tula and RAS (which I believe are the same ammunition in this particular case). The cartridges later fired when I loaded and fired them again. No misfires with Norma.
Couple plugs here:
1. Kermit is great to work with, will definitely order kits through him again.
2. Once again I’m just amazed by what a great design the XCR is. Changeover including barrel, firing pin, and bolt took fewer than 5 minutes, and that included an extra few moments as I took a close look at the barrel I took off and confirmed it is marked “.223 Wylde.”
3. Norma Tactical is really nice stuff for the price — in this case, brass for the price of steel. The x39 is made in Hungary.
Hope everyone is having a nice day, too! Cheers!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The Norma 223Rem that I have wasn't made by Norma. If what I was told when I purchased it is accurate, it was made in the Lake City arsenal. This 7.62x39 was apparently made by Ruag. Both are excellent manufacturers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Yesterday I put 40rds of the Norma Tactical 7.62x39 through my XCR-L. They all ran 100% and accuracy was right to the point of aim. I can't really judge the group size because my shooting table is less than ideal. The spent cases were basically perfect, so I'll definitely reload them after I run through the 500rds that I have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That’s awesome. I think it’s great ammunition and I can’t want to try the .223 I got from them as well. I think their x39 is now sold out, unfortunately. It’s brass for almost as cheap as steel.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts