XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
Hmm....look a bit thinner. Which is good....they needed to be trimmed down.

Reactions: GunRfun

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
id love to get a thinner handguard but probably dont want to wait 8 months to get one
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I go Keymod on my XCRs. That, and KM just retains accessories better. Biggest problem was the industry needed a KM2 with slightly heavier wall and 10-32 screws.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
More length of the threaded end of the bolts holding rail covers and accessories, sticking out in the barrel cavity?
I've never had this issue....but I also will buy shorter, appropriate hardware if needed to be able to pull the bbl (for example) without having to remove rail sections/accessories.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
View attachment 15715

New from Robinsons twitter, M chassis with keymod. does that handguard look thinner then the old keymod too? That no joke looks thinner than my L-mlok handguard lmao
The KeyMods have always been thinner. They have no need for the raised bed for the MLok.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
6 thou....or 2 human hairs, lol.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
So why are the M-Lok slots so thick on the hand guard? I have M-loks on other things and they aren't that thick. Is it to match a specified depth that's supposed to be standard for M-Lok?
I'd say yes. Mlok has a thickness requirement.... When you combine that with the ability to quick change the bbl and pull it with the gas block buried, it probably creates a minimum ID size that may be larger than an equivalent AR with it's smaller gas block, but I'm completely guessing. Just looking at the lower portion of the gas block doesn't give me the indication that it's markedly bigger than an AR one.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
Thanks for all that research!

McMaster has 5/16" long 10-32 in ultra low profile head socket, just not in the regular low profile ones:

EDIT Youch! $4.12 each apparently though. Not cost effective. Thought at first it was $4.12 for like 10.

·
Registered
23,047 Posts
Thanks everyone for taking the time to give feedback and share good information.

For me personally I do not plan on ever changing calibers and or removing the barrel.

Since I will not be removing the barrel, will all accessory attachments like grips and lights etc. still attach to the new thinner M-LOK handguards ?

With the new slimmer M-LOK handguard, will standard Magpul M-LOK Screws hit the barrel when the T-Nuts are tightened all the way down or will the screws cause an issue only IF you try to remove the barrel ?

If the screws do touch the barrel, could they just be sanded down a bit and still hold properly ?

Thanks again for any feedback.
The ONLY issue there has ever been is when removing the bbl, the extension may hit the bolts for some Mlok accessories depending on the bolt length. I just buy shorter bolts if this is an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts