XCR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have made a prototype sling that I hope combines the strengths of a single point, 2 point sling, and a 3 point sling while minimizing the weaknesses of each and am trying to gauge interest to see if I need to apply for a patent. Please let me know your opinions.

What I have tried to accomplish is the following:

The simplicity of a single or two point sling.

The control of a 3 point sling.

Quick transitions to the handgun, with reasonable control of the rifle.

Versatility in that in can be used in several ways.

Easily adaptable to many guns--ie one sling I can easily move from gun to gun.

Minimal storage impact.

I am a police officer that works patrol and SWAT. The gun rides in the trunk more than I carry it, so having the sling not get tangled in the trunk or passenger compartment is a must as the gun must be quickly deployable. As a road cop, I don't always sling in so being able to throw it over my should like a two point is nice. As a cop, I handcuff, move things, etc. with a gun slung more than I do shooting.

Right now my current sling is a 3 point that stores as a two point. This setup has worked well, but as I push to improve left handed shooting with the rifle the sling gets in the way.

The prototype stores as a two point, has no loose nylon or anything when in use, can easily convert from a two point to a single point and back as needed. So far, I have come up with 4 different ways to use this sling.

I will be using the sling at work and during training to see how I can improve on it. I have begun checking and I can get the materials in bulk to make the sling. This one sling fits my XCR, an AR as long as it has a receiver plate, my HK 94, and my DSA TP9. It can be had with or without a quick release buckle on the strap itself.

I wish I could post pics, but I have to protect my design for now.

Let me know if you think I am on to something and if so, give me a ballpark price range that would make it attractable. Of course, if I can bring it to market, I would like to see it as the standard sling on the XCR if it ends up being as good as I think it can be.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it is quality product that truly offers an advantage over the slings currently in the market place I would probably buy one. I've paid between $65 and $150 for good quality slings with attachment points. Right now I'm using Vickers tactical slings on my XCR, AR, and DPMS LR308. Post any pictures you have, I'm sure there are other people on this forum that may interested. If need you want someone to give you feedback I would probably buy one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a chance to use it today and found I did not like the 1 inch webbing. It will definitely be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. I have one made up today in 1 1/2 but the nylon I had on hand was too soft and twisted too easily. It is much more comfortable than the 1 inch that's for sure. I have always liked 1 1/4 webbing as I find it the best compromise.

The second sling uses plastic hooks versus HK hooks for the first one. Both seem to work about the same. The plastic hooks are a little more secure and quieter but a little slower. I think I like the plastic better and found a source for some ones that interlock and should be real secure. If you have an opinion on which hook you like, let me know. The great thing about the design so far, is that it works with pretty much any hook.

I have already been looking up distributors for the materials and will research patent submission this weekend. I hope to be able to sell it for under $40 as I think slings can be way too expensive.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Once you start production offer a "group buy" for members of this forum. :2cents: Need any volunteers for testing keep me in mind. ;D >:D :ninja:
Send one to Aziator, in the combat zone, to evaluate. ??? ;D 8)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If you need some hard duty tests I could put one in the hands of someone that carries an M16 everyday, at least while deployed. It sounds like a good idea and slings are like mousetraps, everyone is always trying to build it better, which they should.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd be glad to offer my services as a tester also. You need a point of view from the "don't know a damn thing about slings" crowd. If we can use it, then it'll be pretty simple and easy. ;D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news. I got to spend some time on the range with the sling today and it appears to be working as I had hoped. It is comfortable in all shooting positions yet doesn't get in the way. It is stable when slung yet allows you to shoot from either shoulder.

I definitely need some better nylon as the prototype is too soft/thin and twists in the sliders. I have found several sources for materials and will begin checking prices in the next week or so.

The biggest thing now is "luggage hooks" or HK clips. The sling design doesn't change so either will work. I prefer the luggage hooks and ITW makes an interlocking one so accidental release shouldn't be a problem. Please let me know what clip you would prefer as I would be able to offer both in the beggining if the venture makes it off the ground.

I am looking into non disclosure agreements and patenting so I can get some samples out there.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've always had a Love/Hate relationship with slings. No matter which kind I get they always seem to be in the way more than they are a benefit to me. I would say that anything you can do to keep it from becoming a pain in the ass when its not in use would be a big plus.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Depending on the end user, I think plastic might be more of a nuisance. I'm just thinking about long exposure in the sun and the constant weight of the rifle putting a strain on it. My only experience is with ZM, and CSM single points and VTAC. All while either training or being deployed. I really like the VTAC, but at times find that it snags on my hard plastic "OH SH*T" mag pouch (mounted low left on my carrier). With the single point, I usually thread it through the MOLLE on my back left, secure with a carbiner and drape the fastener end over my left shoulder. The weapon hangs to that side when not in my hands, and allows me to pull my Sig if I need it. It also doesn't get in the way of my mag pouches when re-loading.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The good news is that there will be a sling on the market that does everything I tried to in my design and even a few more. The new magpul sling accomodates everything I accomplished and then some. The price looks good and I can say I will be getting one when they come to market. It looks like it may be my "perfect" patrol sling.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, the new magpul sling is impressive looking, I will be getting one to try.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Any pics of the Magpul design ??? Martens, I had high hope you were going to give us first shot at your design. :duh:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
That just might be the sling I've been waiting for!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I like the looks of it to, I hope it is realesed soon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts