XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the new stock is still a design in progress I had some time in between briefings today to doodle around with some ideas I had. Now let’s keep in mind this is the work of a bored man with zero talent in computering skills!

The stock/buttplate portion is extendable via a latch on the underside of the outer stock tube, collapsible to a length just shorter of the current CQB stock and can extend to a length just over the current factory folder. A stout polymer or aluminum would work. The collapsible inner stock is hollow with a water tight storage compartment accessible when the stock is folded and completely collapsed. (Maybe some factory issue cleaning kits with small, sectioned cleaning rods for beating out a stuck case in the field? Spare bolts? Johnny Rambo survival kit?)

The folding latch has been removed from the top of the stock to a latch on the left side and operates in the same fashion as the original RA folding stock; push down on the latch and fold the stock.

In place of an “adjustable” cheek riser I opted for a removable cheek piece of various heights that attach to the main outer stock tube. Once securely attached you’d never have to worry about what position it is in or if it is out of adjustment.

Yep, it borrows from a few different designs, but afterall, it’s a buttstock, there isn’t whole lot to innovate.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Nice and simple. Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
that is a cool design but I think that if Alex sticks to his design you will like it.

Picture a combo SCAR/H&K G3/Sig with a dash of XCR.

·
Registered
636 Posts
OK. Now you are starting to get my attention. ??? Just make that folding also. And I may have to just take more serious look at it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is a cool design but I think that if Alex sticks to his design you will like it.

Picture a combo SCAR/H&K G3/Sig with a dash of XCR.
You people that have seen the top of the mountain make me sick! :D :D :D

I'm sure the new stock will be a great design. Honestly, after I shortened the factory folder a bit I don't really mind it all that much. It's solid and an item you'd never have to worry about, though the cheek pad will start to fall apart given some time. 1000mph tape time!

Thanks for inputs on my boredom produced doodlings!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
M118sb That looks very much like the stock on the Para USA and Z-M Weapons collaboration.The Para USA Tactical Target Rifle formerly known as the LR-300 from Z-M Weapons is scheduled to be released in 2009.It's a neat looking rifle that uses a modified direct impingement system but does not vent into the chamber and does not have the buffer spring in the stock.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think it looks pretty nice. Simple, effective. I am waiting patiently for Alex to release his. I know he is a perfectionist and will probably never be happy with it. Hopefully we will get it soon.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My "idea" of a perfect stock for a fighting carbine would look very similar to what is on the ACR.I like the hole in it,very similar to the Sig 551 series.It needs to be more sculpted looking in my opinion however to make it more finished looking and to shave weight.I don't like the idea of having to buy separate detachable cheek risers,that should be built in so you can change it without spare parts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DTOM, I have one of those LR300's but with a different stock, it is a neat upper though I didn't notice much difference in recoil like they said you should.

·
Registered
652 Posts
DTOM, I have one of those LR300's but with a different stock, it is a neat upper though I didn't notice much difference in recoil like they said you should.
Pictures of the gas system?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
0313-

Got that LR300 stripped down right now to take a look at chucking some material on the lathe and making a new handguard for it. I think you can get the gist of what's going on with his gas system though.

Handguard removed and gas block stripped, like I said. Rail covers the system.

Rail removed. Plunger top front of rail keeps it locked tight on its own mounting rail. The spring goes over the super long gas key and that little ring holds it together. The spring bears against a slot in the upper receiver.

Gas block removed, you can see the short gas tube. The small roll pins on the receiver end of the gas block are to align a ring for the handguard to bolt to.

Everything removed. The charging handle and bolt are removed together as shown and then slid off each other.

He drills more holes in the carrier to allow more gas to escape out of the ejection port rather then into the upper. All other bolt parts are generic AR.

The gas port is located differently as well, probably mid-length position while the standard carbine gas port location is now used as an indexing slot for the gas block.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats a really interesting system.

I will have to say that in an AR platform that is the most intriguing yet.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It shoots just fine but I didn't notice much difference in recoil like they claim. The spring is more stout than the stock action spring of an issue carbine, but since 5.56 has about zip for recoil it's hard to tell objectively without getting some kind of test rig I guess.

I've considered trying out some mods to the gas key like drilling some small ports just forward of where the gas tube ends when in battery. My theory is the 'oomph' (technical term) to get the bolt moving rearward is mostly in that initial blast of gas pressure. The bolt will continue moving through momentum and the ports will allow an amount of that gas to bleed through meaning less back through the carrier. Of course when I screw my suppressor on the end any effort to reduce fouling would all go to pot anyhow!

0313, this is what I was referring to about a long stroke AR. Looking at how this is set up, it's not totally unthinkable. If you threaded a piston head of sorts to the end of the gas key and reworked the gas tube to mate up with the piston, you'd probably have something. Wanna go into business?!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It shoots just fine but I didn't notice much difference in recoil like they claim. The spring is more stout than the stock action spring of an issue carbine, but since 5.56 has about zip for recoil it's hard to tell objectively without getting some kind of test rig I guess.

I've considered trying out some mods to the gas key like drilling some small ports just forward of where the gas tube ends when in battery. My theory is the 'oomph' (technical term) to get the bolt moving rearward is mostly in that initial blast of gas pressure. The bolt will continue moving through momentum and the ports will allow an amount of that gas to bleed through meaning less back through the carrier. Of course when I screw my suppressor on the end any effort to reduce fouling would all go to pot anyhow!

0313, this is what I was referring to about a long stroke AR. Looking at how this is set up, it's not totally unthinkable. If you threaded a piston head of sorts to the end of the gas key and reworked the gas tube to mate up with the piston, you'd probably have something. Wanna go into business?!
I fear that the competition would put us out of business.

·
Registered
652 Posts
is there any type of regulator for gas pressure or is it "Self Regulating"? ::)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no gas regulator beyond drilling out the gas port if you wanted a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
652 Posts
no gas regulator beyond drilling out the gas port if you wanted a shorter barrel.
Thats an issue for me since there is no real way to get around a manually adjustable gas system and still have it smooth as possible.

the problem with the "self retarding" gas systems is that you still have a really high pressure pulse that abruptly drops off in relation to actual controlling the gas coming right off the barrel.

This is really getting me excited to do a test, graph pressure over time and felt recoil over time. Overlay the graph with muzzle rise.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts