XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...

Just got back from Iraq 22 Dec 08 and as part of a Christmas present to myself I picked up an XCR in 7.62x39. (It was hanging on the wall crying to me, noone else must have heard it cry... odd). I finally got to take it out to a range today and put 100 rounds through it. Mega-BLAST! (Only had 3 malfunctions on cheap ammo). I'm calling her Sonja.

A little bit about me: US Army SGT, 3yrs 4mos TIS, 30 yrs old. Central Florida & Southern Georgia are my playgrounds.

Couple questions:
What is everyone's favorite sighting/optics system for their XCR & why?
What are ya'll paying for 6.8 or 6.5 ammo these days? (Thinking about either of those for my first converstion kit)

peaCe
kev

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome Kev, and thank you for your service!

I use my fairly new XCR 762X39 for tactical carbine matches (went to one last night ;D) and SHTF. I have an Eotech. I love the "Dot in Doughnut" sight picture for fast target aquisition. Still accurate enough out to 100 yds+ with the dot.

I don't shoot the other 2 cals. you mentioned so I can't help you there.

You made a great choice. Enjoy it.

Rich

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the Family kehvN

Thank you for your service

I am currently using an EoTech 512 on mine but I have used other optics on it as well my second favorite that I have used is the Millett DMS-1

Just a suggestion I would get a 5.56 conversion kit before I would get a 6.8 or 6.5 kit because ammo is cheaper and mags are more plentiful, it would make it a little easier to train with

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome back from Iraq and welcome to the forum!

I think you'll find that everyone has a different idea about the greatest sites and widgets out there for the XCR, but if you browse around you'll find a million different ones.

I got my conversion kit last week and have it installed, but its not fired as of yet!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
welcome, welcome, welcome.

I have a Millet DMS-1 scope on mine. I alternate between that and Midwest Industries sights. I have a vertical grip and a Harris bipod that I alternate with as well depending on my shooting needs that day.

Currently I have mine on the 5.56 configuration. Considering purchasing a 7.62 version. .223 ammos are getting bad.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There was a fairly decent range off of I-75, Exit 2 just out of Valdosta when I was stationed there, might be nice for a change in scenery!

I've used an M68 and an EOTech 553 on mine. I like the M68 because I used it in the service for so long and went with the EOTech later after shooting a friend's and liking it. I've got Troy sights as well, pricey, but they're nice and I always shoot half and half every time I take it out to keep from getting rusty. If you don't plan on using irons as much something less pricey would do just fine, I started out with the MI's.

I had though about the 6.8 conversion but decided against it even though I reload like it's going out of style. Just too much extra stuff for me to stock and store and I do it for something to do in the winter when I don't shoot as much. I agree with Tac that a 5.56 kit probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The official word hasn't come out yet but expect a caliber conversion for 6x45mm soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome home Soldier, glad to have you aboard! ;D

Semper Fi!
Cruzzer

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Quick replies from everyone! Nice work.

I was browsing robarm.com and it seemed that the 5.56 conversion ISN'T available. Is this the case? Otherwise I'd be all over the 5.56 kit (even though it seems that ammo is getting ridiculously priced as well).

I'll throw in my :2cents: for sights, heh. I ordered the MI BUIS and plan on getting that zero'd in at 300m. I feel that every shooter ought to be able to engage at 300m with irons and not rely so heavily on optics. That being said... I loved my M68. From reading the forums it seems the EOTech 512 is the biggest crowd pleaser. An ACOG is just IMPRESSIVE though (amber chevron, purdy).

Moving on...

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
the 5.56 kit is available, probably not listed. Give 'em a call and they'll help ya out!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The 5.56 is avail I am not sure of the price you can ask Terra about that

This is just my opinion but BUIS are just that Back-Ups so for that reason I would zero mine for no farther out then 50 yards but I would more likely zero them for 25 yards

I do however agree that people should be able to accuratly engage targets out to 300m with irons

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Even with a 25m BZO you'll hold on an "Ernie" out to 300m so I think you're good to go Tac.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(before i get beat up by everyone, lol)

did i say engage? i meant "ask them to dance" at 300m.... no need to jump to engagements. then it's meeting the parents, weddings, kids... bah!

·
Registered
923 Posts
:laughposter:
Thats a good one

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Where in Central FL do you shoot? I visit my folks in Ocala every few months (going again in 10 days) and shoot at the Ocala Public Range in the forest. The trouble is that range is only 100 yards and I'd like to find somewhere longer to practice with my Savage bolt-action .308.

My new XCR 5.56 will be getting a break-in at the Ocala range when I'm up there next week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally I like the Aimpoint T-1 on a Larue HK 416 mount. Its great for quick shooting and staying on target. It doesn't obstruct your field of view too much. Its also light weight and tough as hell. I have yet to test it beyond 150 yards, but I can consistently hit steel targets pretty easily at that distance.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Welcome. As you can see there are lots of options out there for optics.

For bulk 6.8 ammo Silver State Armory is probably the cheapest though cheap shouldn't be used. I haven't priced it lately but it is probably double what 5.56 is. That said, 6.8 is a great round and shoots nice out of the XCR. I really see it as a reloading round right now.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Even with a 25m BZO you'll hold on an "Ernie" out to 300m so I think you're good to go Tac.
Damn m118sb,we actually agree on something else...lmao

KehvN ,welcome to the fold,glad your home safe and many thanks for your sacrifice in uniform.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where in Central FL? I'm all around the Orlando area mainly. The Rents live in Clermont. The dude at the Yamaha dealership where I bought my bike lives up in the Ocala National Forest and goes shooting around there... "Colt" is his name...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If you ever make it up to the Savannah Area let me know and we can shoot. i will be home from iraq in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts