XCR Forum banner

New XCR-L Break-in?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  NSEGE 
#1 ·
I just got the XCR-L competition rifle, and took it to the range yesterday with Hornaday 55gr soft points. Lubed it up well, opened the gas system to "7" and loaded up 60 rounds.

I probably got 50 failures...most were fail to fully extract/eject, but some were fail to seat a loaded round fully in the chamber. I did notice that loaded rounds were extremely difficult to manually extract, and there was a bright "ring" on the bullet at the ogive shoulder.

I did't notice that it was getting any better toward the end of wrestling through 60 rounds.

Is there something I should be looking for concerning these problems?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Haven't tried a lower gas setting yet just following the break-in directions so far. I did run a Sierra bullet into the chamber and it shows the same "ring" but less distinct than with Hornadays. I'm suspecting a tight throat. I'm going to try some Sierra 69gr matchkings and see what happens. I'll try to get a pict but I don't know if I know how to post it on this Forum as yet.

#4 ·
I'd argue the break in isn't mandatory. It lets RA off if their gun comes from the factory a little tight.

Without some more data points we're just going to be guessing what the problem is. With that said, it's not a 5.45 bore is it? Just a guess but it may be within the realm of possibility that they grabbed the wrong blank.

How was accuracy? Recoil? Ejection pattern/distance, for the ones that did cycle properly?

#5 ·
I tried Sierra 69 and 77 grs and it worked beautifully. Cycles fine on the "2" setting (Type 3 gas block), so obviously the problem is with the Hornaday bullets... seems that with the marks right at the shoulder of the ogive, the problem (if any) is that the throat is a bit short.... the Sierra's have the full diameter of the bullet just a touch farther back toward the base than the Hornadays.

So, now the problem is I have something like 2000-2500 loaded Hornadays from 55 gr. sp's to 60 gr VMax.

Accuracy with the Sierras is about 1-2 minutes at 100 yds in a gusty 10-12 mph wind and iron sights, so I expect better on a calm day with a scope

#8 ·
Since the Sierra's chamber and a loaded round extracts fine, it's not the chamber. looks like a short throat...distance from the end of the chamber to the beginning of the rifling. easy enough fix, maybe 5 minutes with the barrel removed..... for someone with a throat reamer...which I don't have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.