XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a fair amount of research I bought a new XCR. I own AR's but wanted something different and was really impressed with the XCR after reading about it and handling it at the local gunshop. Anyway, I took it out shooting today and it was nothing but a disappointment. I shot about 200 rounds through it and I bet about half of them failed to eject with empty cases stuck in the ejection port sideways. At first I thought maybe the gas was adjusted improperly as I had read that I should shoot the first few hundred rounds at the number 4 setting and then it could be adjusted. After inspection however it was clearly on 4. I did change the gas setting briefly to 3 to see what would happen and empty shells basically just fell out of the gun and landed at my feet, when they did fall out. Also, periodically when the gun was cycling ok the trigger woudl fail to reset and I would have to switch the safety lever from safe to fire to reset it so that the shell in the chamber could be fired. I dont know if the ejection problems and the safety problem are related but in my limited gun knowledge they would seem to be different issues entirely.

Needless to say I am very disappointed in the way that my new gun performed and am hoping that there is some easy fix to turn this gun in to the great weapon that everyone else thinks it is. If anyone has had similiar issues and can help me please let me know what I can do. I am certainly not a gun smith by any means but I have built AR's so am not afraid to monkey with the guns internals to some extent. Again thanks for reading my post and any help you can offer me

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I agree the sound like separate issues. Unfortunately the trigger thing seems to be fairly common. I'm actually not sure what RA's standard prodedure is on this. Eventually you are probably going to want a trigger job anyway.

As for the ejection... first, wiggle the ejector just to make sure it is tight. If it is, personally I would not disturb the screws if I didn't have to. Given that is good... hmm. Almost sounds like it still isn't getting nearly enough gas for some reason. I wonder if there is a way you can check to see if the gas block is indexed to the port properly.

I'm assuming the ammo is known to not have major issues/runs in other rifles?

Have you done any removal of the barrel/gas tube/etc, or is all that assembled just how it was from the factory?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I will go wiggle the ejector and see if it looks like there are any issues with that. I haven't done anything to the gun at all other than put ammo in it. I haven't even opened the upper but will do that now to see if maybe I can diagnose whats wrong. As for the gas tube removal I haven't done anything with that either, not sure if I would know whether anything was installed wrong or not. Basically I took it from the gunshop to the range and shot it. I used good brass ammo that work great in my AR's. The worst part about this whole thing is that my buddy bought an XCR at the same time I did and we both took our guns shooting today. Mine had the problems I have described and his ran flawlessly. He had a good time with that too although I tried to convince him that our guns had gotten switched somehow :). Anyway, I am nervous about playing with my gun too much as I am not familiar with that way things are supposed to be. I am also kind of frustrated as I expect a new gun to work flawlessly when I fire it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Certainly understandable, and rest assured that 90% of these cases turn out to be a relatively minor assembly thing that once corrected, fixes all issues 100%. And if it does turn out to be a truly out of spec part, RA will replace it.

Go ahead and field strip it and make sure there isn't anything blatantly obvious going on. I would personally recommend not removing the barrel until you have some more input.

Might want to look into the extractor as well. There has been one report recently of a 5.56 extractor shipped on a 7.62 bolt in a kit, which made that bolt completely non functional; but I don't know what happens in the reverse case. Could possibly lead to weak extraction.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There are also different gas plugs for different calibers, and it is at least physically possible that you have the wrong one. Whether that could lead to the level of cycling issue you describe on the highest gas setting, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Trigger reset: Add a couple of drops of CLP and dry fire a couple of times. Consider this part of the break in process clearly outlined in the manual

Ejection: Always change the ammo and mags first and see if that makes a difference

Take the weapon down and lube everything well. Check the ejector. XCR ejection is very strong and shells should not dribble out. Check the ejector for any play

After doing all this, if the problem remains it could be your gas block or gas adjustment.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You either have a bad gas block or the wrong bolt or extractor. Can you post some pictures of your bolt face for me?
Thanks for the responses. I have attached a picture of my bolt face. Also, the spring looked kind of strange when I took it out. It could be completely normal though as far as I know. I have included a picture of that as well. Everything is a little dry so I am going to lube it up a little and check out the internals for anything strange looking.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
no, the bolt looks right. It must be your gas block. I was just making sure, as a shop n00b seems to have built up a couple bolts strangely...

Whatever the case.. I can either mail you a replacement block or you can send parts in. Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
of course they are test fired. Gas blocks can cause very erratic problems - shooting fine for a few rounds, then stovepiping, etc. We shoot the rifles bone dry with crappy Wolf. Some things make it past us is all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, the bolt looks right. It must be your gas block. I was just making sure, as a shop n00b seems to have built up a couple bolts strangely...

Whatever the case.. I can either mail you a replacement block or you can send parts in. Which do you prefer?
I live in Salt Lake City, can I just bring my gun down and have it replaced :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Try and join us for the next Utah XCR shoot in march. Bring lots of ammo and be prepared to join a highlight vid.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

oh, absolutely! If you'd like to drop by Tuesday or Wednesday that would be ok for me.

G

·
1- check for burrs on the hammer and semi-auto sear as has been described in a couple of recent threads
2- looks like it deperately needs some lube. be generous for a while. ;)
3- pull you gas block off, disassemble it and clean it. then when assembling make sure that it is lined up with the barrel bleed hole and that the bleed hole is clear and free of obstructions
4-change mags
5- clean out the inside of the lower reciever. make sure it doesnt have and crud or shavings in there.
6-check the grip screw where it enters the inside of the lower reciever. make sure that it's not in too far and interfereing.
7-check and locktite the ejector screws if they are loose.

if you dont find anything and a second trip isnt problem free, then pack the whole rifle up and send it in for RA to go thru.

:2cents: :)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Everything has been covered. you are in SLC so you are in good hands.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just want to say what has been said 1000 times.

You try posting an issue with your new Colt 6920 and see what kind of feedback you get from them. Yes I know RA is small and bla bla bla....................

Bottom line is that this is a great example of customer service and standing behind a product. It's great to see it.

Terra, as always, you rock!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

oh, absolutely! If you'd like to drop by Tuesday or Wednesday that would be ok for me.
Thank you very much Terra!. I will come by on Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Bottom line is that this is a great example of customer service and standing behind a product. It's great to see it
Hell yes,and try that on a Saturday with any other manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts