XCR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to XCRfan, we now have a Wiki to place all of the information on the XCR.

http://jlmx.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage

We have started the content on the page but anyone is welcome to edit the pages for more information or clarity or add new pages.

Thanks again XCRfan.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wow!

That's awesome. Good way for people to get info on the XCR.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This was the page that got me goign ont he XCR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Arms_XCR\

I was curious about development of the M16 and the AR15, and as I followed it though there was a reference to the SCAR-L (booo) and the XCR. SCAR-L (more boos) was not aviable, not to mention I thought it was plain ugly (and comments about getting parts from FNL makes it a zero in my opinion)

I really liked what I saw and the approach taken with it. Having shot a friends AK-47, I had been impressed (stunned) with the simplicity and ease of strip down. You can read all you want, but seeing the AK47 made it real as to why it was the choice of the insurgent movements. XCR had that in spades and the modern rail sytem, not as an add on, but built on.

Looking at it, it seemed strange that you would make a gun without built in rails, then add them on, when the application almost certainly was going to need rails anyway.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Looking at it, it seemed strange that you would make a gun without built in rails, then add them on, when the application almost certainly was going to need rails anyway.
The Scars upper reciever is extruded (please see examples below). It can't be extruded with the rails on it. I can't think of a cheaper manufacturing process than extruding. Squirt aluminum through a die and cut to length (slight simplification). Then, the machining is simplified to only drilling and tapping, bolting on the rails, and cutting ejection port and lightening holes. This cuts out a ton of CNC machining time. Unfortunately, the hardest types of aluminum are not compatible with the extruding process. Some of the drilled and tapped holes I mentioned earlier are to secure a metal u-brace because the extrusion isn't stiff enough.

This manufacturing process is brilliant as far as cutting costs for the manufacturer. In my opinion, this gun should only cost $800 or $900.

No, I've never shot the Scar, just read everything I could find for the past few years. I think the XCR has it beat. Give FN the contract, but have them build XCRs on license. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I noticed an error on the Accessory Compatibility page, I believe the barrel threads are 1/2"-28 not 5/8"-24.

Also, how would we add things to the page (trigger mods, and stuff like "use the oem grip screw when changing to another mfg grip").

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I noticed an error on the Accessory Compatibility page, I believe the barrel threads are 1/2"-28 not 5/8"-24.

Also, how would we add things to the page (trigger mods, and stuff like "use the oem grip screw when changing to another mfg grip").
PM me for a username and password.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.