XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering since the XCR is my first rifle.

What happens if I open up the rifle, but forgot to leave the hammer cocked? (IE, I made sure the rifle was clear, then dryfired to drop the hammer.) It's not quite the same as dryfiring the lower without the upper in place, but the hammer still travels a small arc forward and rests against the lower. D'oh!

Obviously, I'm not going to make a habit of it going forward, but just wanted to know for my own enrichment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Not a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I only noticed that some of the black (paint?) is gone where the hammer touched the frame. But I guess it'll just mentally reinforce the notion that the XCR is a tool and not a safequeen. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
You pretty much saw it. It removes some of the finish. The distance it travels is not going to hurt anything.
If you dry fired with the upper off 100s of times, you could crack the lower. But since you are smart (learned your lesson after the fist time) you won't break the rifle.

Enjoy

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Check with Terra but I doubt it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Aluminum can crack with repeated pounding.
My point really was that the amount of damage you would do after several 100 strikes would make a sane person stop doing it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There is a reason we have opposable thumbs. It's to catch the hammer before it bangs up the receiver. :p
Where does working the remote fit into that thoery of evolution? ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts