XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The XCR has some history with government competitions, with the Improved Carbine Competition, when the army entertained and passed on a replacement for the M4 carbine with an improved 5.56 rifle. They passed on SCAR, ACR, and disqualified XCR-L.

They just finished the Next Generation Squad Weapon competition, choosing the least revolutionary design.
That competition included developing a new round closer to the 308 Winchester, with more than conventional pressure and weight reduction, and also a companion dedicated machine gun to go with it.
So they are abandoning the 5.56 and going back to something closer to the round fired from the M1, in line with the AR10.
True Velocity developed the ammo that was used in the General Dynamics rifles, and put out some videos about converting existing weaponry over to use the new round, and picking up 50% more range and power, from the existing equipment.

Interesting thing, there is something called a XCR-M which uses ammunition in the range of size as what the competition participants submitted. Sig is already selling their civilian version of the winning rifle, or at least taking orders (asking an eye opening $8,000 each). So that ammo will eventually hit the civilian market. And the XCR-M could be converted, pending availability of barrels and associated pieces.

Does this take the civilian sporting rifle from light to medium in format? Should we all be placing orders for 308 XCR-Ms now and getting on a waiting list for the caliber conversion kits?

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
This isn't going to happen overnight and the hybrid ammo will be ridiculously expensive unless Uncle Sam is paying your ammo bill. Not to mention the round is very high pressure and short bbl life.

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
The sig ammo is very high pressure and will require CHF chrome lined at a minimum, or more esoteric barrel materials.
Really I can't believe they went with the sig rifle. It's the least innovative of the three.
With the nepotism of small arms and government contracts SIG has recently been able to cultivate, I'm not at all surprised they were the ones selected. Procurement usually isn't about what's best....it's who lined the right pockets.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Read something that the requirement was for ammo that could penetrate Level IV armor out to 600M.

Don't know if that's accurate....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every thought I had on this platform were already expressed back in this thread:

This isn't going to happen overnight and the hybrid ammo will be ridiculously expensive unless Uncle Sam is paying your ammo bill. Not to mention the round is very high pressure and short bbl life.
The sig ammo is very high pressure and will require CHF chrome lined at a minimum, or more esoteric barrel materials.
Really I can't believe they went with the sig rifle. It's the least innovative of the three.
Hell, if all we need is a new barrel (and possibly bolt) for the -M then sign me the fuck up. Beats paying $8K for a Sig Spear either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts