XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you have NFA paperwork that you are waiting on but I thought I'd update you on my progress. I sent in two forms under my trust. One check was cashed on 10/27 and I just got that paper work today. I have another one I'm waiting on and that check cashed on 11/25. I know the time varies, depending on the agent assigned to your name. My buddy's paper work would process in 6 weeks in 2007 and early 2008. Mine would always take at least 9 weeks.

Just thought I'd pass the info along.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Thanks for the update. My Form 1 money order was deposited on 12/09, so I guess I have at least another 4 weeks wait. :(

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, I had 2 checks cashed on 26 Nov. The wait isn't too bad since I am over here. It will be worse when I get home and start buying cans. I wont want to wait...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to buy a can for my 6.8... but I don't wanna wait for the paper work. Silly huh?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, I still haven't decided if I will buy a 6.8 can for 5.56 and 6.8 or a 7.62 can. I guess it depends what the wait is when I get ready to buy. They usually don't have 6.8 cans ready to go so I may end up not getting one and going with a 5.56 and 7.62.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some guy at the gun show yesterday was talking about using a 7.62 can for 5.56. Know anything about that?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've read on several other forums about guys using 7.62 cans as a 'do all' setup they swap between various rifle calibers.

I recently had the opportunity to shoot a suppressed UZI - with a .22LR conversion - which subscribes to the same basic 5.56 rifle using a 7.62 can principle - and the UZI was insanely quiet. The well known issue with shooting rimfire in a centerfire suppressor is lead buildup, which is obviously not an issue for this discussion.

I'm trying to find the links for you Prizm, but in the meantime - of the threads I read, I recall that the consensus was that overall performance was the same using suppressors made for the proper caliber (they compared the 7.62 against the 5.56) and they claim that the 7.62 can on the 5.56 gave acceptable performance with minimal POI shift. There was further discussion about indexing the 7.62 suppressor for the two rifles to further determine if repeatable results could be made.

I wish I had bookmarked that thread! I think it was either on TheHighroad.org or the PAFOA website...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The only downside to using a 7.62 can is size and weight. You will find lots of people shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 can. I think on the recent silencerresearch.com tests of 5.56 and 7.62 cans they shot 5.56 through a few 7.62 cans and were pretty surprised by well they did. It is a pay site but I read most of the results at silencertalk.com.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought size would be the only downside. Plus it's much cooler to have cans specific for each gun. ;) Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I think my next one will be a 6.8 can. But that will be a while as I've been punishing the bank account lately. I've bought 8,000 rounds of 5.56 in the past week. Now, only 7,000 of it's mine, but prices were decent at the show.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I thought size would be the only downside. Plus it's much cooler to have cans specific for each gun. ;) Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I think my next one will be a 6.8 can. But that will be a while as I've been punishing the bank account lately. I've bought 8,000 rounds of 5.56 in the past week. Now, only 7,000 of it's mine, but prices were decent at the show.
I've been snaggiong whatever calibers I can with my spare cash (including .22LR) , and am in the market for another couple thousand 5.56

If I may ask... how much per 1000 at the show and what brand?

I've been debating making a trip to New Jersey to make a direct purchase from Ammoman/Eric.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been snaggiong whatever calibers I can with my spare cash (including .22LR) , and am in the market for another couple thousand 5.56

If I may ask... how much per 1000 at the show and what brand?

I've been debating making a trip to New Jersey to make a direct purchase from Ammoman/Eric.

I found S&B m193 for 5 per case. Now that's now bargain but 2 1/2 months ago at the same show they had it for 0. And the guy that usually has the best prices wasn't there this time. I'm hearing of shortages again. Tough to get 5.56 right now. I ordered a bunch off of ammunition to go and they had Privi M193 mil spec at 9 per case. I ordered 5000 rounds of that and bought 3000 of the S&B at the show. I like the m193 cause it's a hot load. Runs great in SBR's. Lake City and Am Eagle was running in the mid to upper 0 range. I prefer S&B over everything else.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Prizm, I meant to ask who the examiner is doing your paperwork?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll let you know later when I get back in front of my computer. It used to be a guy with the last name Shipman.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, no worries. I just know some examiners are quicker than others. I have had the same guy the past few times due to it being a Form 1. I have heard some horror stories about some of the examiners.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're very right about that. I was trying to be kind but the guy I mentioned was horrible. I specifically remember calling about one form that was going on 5 months. I call give my name and I could here rustling papers while he looked. He then sId yeah here it is and literally approved it while iwas on the phone with him. Came in the mail 4 days later.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
No reason to be kind, government employees should be held accountable by the taxpayers. If they suck let them know they suck.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree with AZ, gov't employees should be held accountable. I work with plenty of GOV civvies and most get on my nerves, very little integrity with their work.... The contractors I work with are great, they know that they are held accountable and can be replaced. The GOV civiies I work with most of them don't like me very much, I call them on thier BS. Plus I make remarks about typical GOV employees... >:D I know really immature, but there are time when I can't help myself....

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
They (at least the ones I deal with in the Army) seem to think that we, the soldiers are there for them and they seem to forget that they, the civilians, are there to support us. I would fire half of them in a minute just to prove a point. They get to comfortable on the welfare/gravy train and forget who is there to support who.

Hold them accountable and report them if they suck (wait until your paperwork is approved in the case of the NFA Branch)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sandra J Snook has been the official on my past two lowers. Usually six weeks turn around.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts