XCR Forum banner

NFA Questions

4K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  MilitiaofOne 
Probably the easiest thing to do is buy the gun with a 16" barrel, then send in the SBR paperwork. When it comes back, you can order the short barrel and it can be sent directly to you.

If there are any gas system differences, they should be included with the short barrel... as I understand it, each barrel comes with its own gas block installed.

If you order it built from the factory as an SBR (I have never done this, so don't know for sure), I believe your Class III dealer will have to order it, then when it gets to the dealer, you will have to send off the paperwork and then have it sit at the dealer till the paperwork comes back.

One period of waiting with no rifle at all beats two as far as I'm concerned, so I'd take the former approach. Also keep in mind that if you do it this way you will have to have the reciever sent off to have your information engraved, but the turn around on that should be a week, or two tops.

Yeah, but a weapon looking scary doesn't exactly translate to being effective. If I had to choose I would rather be shot by a .223 SBR than a .45 service pistol.
Heh... might want to re-think that one. SBR or not, you are still comparing a centerfire rifle cartridge to a pistol cartridge. There is no comparison.

It is my understanding that the transfer tax was installed as a defacto ban. Keep in mind the law was applied in 1934. The dollar figure has remained unchanged since that time. $200 is affordable to your average joe today who is committed to getting an NFA device, but in 1934, $200 was a lot of money. I'd be interested to see the exact inflation-corrected amount, but I suspect it is far more than most of us would be willing to pay to transfer an SBR.

The name and location of the manufacturing entity needs to be engraved on the receiver. If Robarms manufactured it, they will engrave it before it leaves the factory. If you buy it as a full length rifle, and then shorten the barrel, you manufactured it. If you registered it to yourself, you will need your name and home town engraved. If you did like I did, and used a trust, you will need the name and location of the trust engraved on it... etc:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.