XCR Forum banner

NFA Questions

4K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  MilitiaofOne 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, I am saving my pennies (and dollars) for an XCR and plan to buy one in 7.62 X 39 sometime next year.

What I really want is one with a 12" barrel and Vortex flash supressor.

There is a chicken and egg issue with the paperwork though, since I need a serial number for the NFA registration form, and can't legally buy the gun until the form is approved.

Is it possible to get a serial number reserved?
If I bought one with a longer barrel and then registered it with BATFE, can I just swap in a shorter barrel or is the gas system different for the SBR?

If I buy the gun with a long barrel and then register it as an SBR can the barrel be shipped directly to me or does it have to go through a class 3 dealer?

Also, There is a rumor on Sig Forum that the XCR can be ordered with the folding stock adjusted to a custom length of pull; is this true?

Thanks,
MO1

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably the easiest thing to do is buy the gun with a 16" barrel, then send in the SBR paperwork. When it comes back, you can order the short barrel and it can be sent directly to you.

If there are any gas system differences, they should be included with the short barrel... as I understand it, each barrel comes with its own gas block installed.

If you order it built from the factory as an SBR (I have never done this, so don't know for sure), I believe your Class III dealer will have to order it, then when it gets to the dealer, you will have to send off the paperwork and then have it sit at the dealer till the paperwork comes back.

One period of waiting with no rifle at all beats two as far as I'm concerned, so I'd take the former approach. Also keep in mind that if you do it this way you will have to have the reciever sent off to have your information engraved, but the turn around on that should be a week, or two tops.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will have to think about how best to do this.
I am planning to register it as an SBR in every caliber that it can be converted to.
I'm pretty sure this can be done since I have seen MAC-10's that are registered in 9 mm and .45 caliber.
The engraving thing would be a bit tricky since I don't think it would be legal to mail a rifle to someone that does not have an FFL.
Finding someone to do it locally would make more sense.

Sterling99, what did you do about the exposed metal where the engraving removed the finish?

Do any of you about whether it is possible to get an XCR folding stock made to a particular length of pull?

#5 ·
If you buy the SBR rifle up front, you can put what ever barrel you want on it after that.

I have ordered my SBR in the 12" (and waiting) and plan to get other caliber and length barrels to fit my needs.

If you get it from RobArm as a SBR you won't screw up the finish of the receiver either.

Just my opinion ::)

#6 ·
Hi Aussi Arms, Do you have Aussi legs too?
Just kidding.

I was thinking along those lines myself.
What exactly needs to be engraved on the reciever?

Also, I don't think you can just swap barrel lengths and calibers on a SBR at will.
My understanding is that the form specifies the barrel length and caliber, and if you want to put something else on there then you need to file an addendum.

My plan was to fill out all 3 calibers on the form with a 12" barrel specified.

Did you get it in 6.8 or .223?

#7 ·
Anyone know what the history/premise/purpose of this law is? Or is it just another extortion racket?

#8 ·
I got .223, and I guess I have a little advantage:

I'm a class 3 FFL dealer ::) so I don't have to wait.

It is my understanding that the reciever is registered as a SBR, nothing prevents you putting a 16" on there if you so desire.

I couldn't tell you what need to be engraved but I suspect it's another serial number? anyone???

#16 ·
When you take a 16" or other length and make it an SBR you then become the manufacturer. What needs to be engraved is YOUR name, because YOU are the manufacturer, just as Robinson is the manufacturer of the original piece. My XCR has my name engraved on it. My UMP has it engraved on the inside of the receiver where it's out of sight. My Colt AR SBR has no engraving because of the way the ATF processed my paper work, apparently it did not need to be done.

If you by one already as an SBR, you don't have to get it engraved, as the original manufacturer, in this case Robinson, IS the manufacturer of the NFA weapon. They are transfering it to you so you fill out a Form 4 (I believe) for the transfer.

#9 ·
People (the general population) are "said" to be afraid of SBR and shot guns as they are too easily concealed. So the Gov (powers in office) saw this as a revenue raising opportuinty, justifying it by saying "if you really want the SBR, and it's just not a cool factor, paying a $200 stamp will weed out the people who really want it as opposed to those who are getting them just for the cool factor.

Well that is my take on things, and is only mu humble opinion. :-\

#11 ·
But handguns, which have a very short barrel and are easily concealable are perfectly legal!

If this law was truely ment to prevent people from concealing guns they would have banned handguns... Right?

A long barrel handgun can be concealed and is relatively accurate...

#12 ·
They tried for registration of handguns as well in the original bill, but there weren't enough votes so that part was stripped from the final legislation.

Of course it is asinine that I would be committing a federal felony if I put a fixed wooden stock on a pistol, but that is what's written in the law.

#14 ·
Yeah, but a weapon looking scary doesn't exactly translate to being effective. If I had to choose I would rather be shot by a .223 SBR than a .45 service pistol.

#15 ·
They are all scary when you are looking down the barrel of whatever. It is a know fact that if you are in a Police shoot out, in an urban environment, the distance between the shooters is anywhere between 0' to 10'. All guns are effective at this range, but I can tell you from experience, there's no calling for a medic when you get hit in the chest, or the head with a 12ga.

"That's all I have to say about that!"

#17 ·
Yeah, but a weapon looking scary doesn't exactly translate to being effective. If I had to choose I would rather be shot by a .223 SBR than a .45 service pistol.
Heh... might want to re-think that one. SBR or not, you are still comparing a centerfire rifle cartridge to a pistol cartridge. There is no comparison.

It is my understanding that the transfer tax was installed as a defacto ban. Keep in mind the law was applied in 1934. The dollar figure has remained unchanged since that time. $200 is affordable to your average joe today who is committed to getting an NFA device, but in 1934, $200 was a lot of money. I'd be interested to see the exact inflation-corrected amount, but I suspect it is far more than most of us would be willing to pay to transfer an SBR.

The name and location of the manufacturing entity needs to be engraved on the receiver. If Robarms manufactured it, they will engrave it before it leaves the factory. If you buy it as a full length rifle, and then shorten the barrel, you manufactured it. If you registered it to yourself, you will need your name and home town engraved. If you did like I did, and used a trust, you will need the name and location of the trust engraved on it... etc:

#19 ·
prizm, where did you get the engraving done on your receiver?

as far as the paperwork goes, is it really necessary to list all the calibers present and future that the xcr could use? I don't think that would be a huge deal for them, but who knows... I mean, AR's can swap uppers for a caliber change, what do put on the form for them?

#26 ·
Hi Aussi.

Click the link I provided above, then click Saiga Shotguns in the panel to the left and scroll down.

You will see that Tony Rumore does some really beautiful work with short barreled shotguns.

I'm partial to #S08, but waiting for the Saiga Swat variant to make it to the US market.
It has a last round bolt holdback and a few other features that are improvements over the original Saiga 12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.