XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a nice pic of the M96 posted on THR. Hopefully a day will come when this fine carbine will return to us...

BTW, does this gun belong to anyone here?

·
Registered
874 Posts
What if I told you Alex was going to bring it back... better and badder than before? :)
I just hope he focuses on the XCR-M before he starts again with the M96. ;)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Well of course. I made him promise that we finish up with the calibers, stock, trigger and XCR-M before this happens. But still... :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well of course. I made him promise that we finish up with the calibers, stock, trigger and XCR-M before this happens. But still... :)
Hehe thanks Terra for reassuring us XCR-M coveters. ;D

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
thats a cool rifle for sure.

terra, I don't know a lot about the m96's, what do they offer that the xcr doesn't as far as a reason to build them again?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The M96 really speaks for itself, once you shoot one. Fans of the old Stoners were the first to snatch up these rifles. Like the XCR, it's a real pussycat. Much quieter and even less recoil, if you can believe it. Good accuracy, and fairly decent durability. There were some features that needed some changes, though. Throughout its lifespan here, we upgraded/changed quite a few things. We just couldn't get it exactly where we wanted it. It's complicated to break down, and not as simple or ergonomic as the XCR.

There are many awesome rifles out there. The XCR and the M96 are just a few. Every single one of us knows just one or two firearms are not enough. ;) :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll buy one in a minute if you guys make them again Terra! Plus and XCR-M as well. Lets just hope this upcoming election works in our favor.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I was hooked when I heard about the belt-fed conversion that was planned. Semi-auto or not, that would have been pretty BA. But alas, it didn't come to be.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The guys at weaponeer sent an M96 to Volmer ,the people who convert the HK91 into a BF ,the first one they had to cut the top off the receiver and get an M60 top cover to fit . They said it was a lot of work and expensive and basically had to follow the M63 design to get it right.
They have a Vid On you tube of the next one done up like a 91 ,where it feeds through the side with a starter tab.
They ran into a lot of the problems Alex did , but Volmer is one of the best and thats all he does.
That pic looks like it has a lot of M63 things about it. Those Barrels with the flutes ,i didn't know Robinson ever made those.
I know Stoner did , and he did the gas tube switch to the bottom for some FA bolts.
I bet that gun belongs to Alex ,its way to primo to be just any M96.

This is the M96 with the M60 top cover ,its on Volmers web site.
The barrel is from an M63 ,they were attempting to build an M63 SA ,that didnt cost over $ 40,000.00.
A lot of the parts were surplus Stoner stuff ,but they needed the reciver from the 96.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The only thing I DON'T like about my M96 is the flimsy FAL style charger. The XCR learned from that mistake and beefed things up. That said, I still like shooting mine now and again. In 6x45 (6mm/.223) it is especially a fun gun to shoot. And oh yes, it is smooth. It may be a little lite for deer but within 200 meters it has killed several. ;D

·
Registered
512 Posts
A lot of guys are Stoner purist ,They cant do a lot of things with a M63 receiver because it is a FA only ,only the existing guns can be sold or messed with because of NFA laws .
They love the M96 because it is SA only , and with some work they can get Barrels and stuff made up to look real close to a M63 ,and still be SA . These guns are in personal collections not for sale ,The pic on top of this thread, i think i have seen it elsewhere but i cant find it now .

G

·
What if I told you Alex was going to bring it back... better and badder than before? :)
I'd say that he needs to keep working on the XCR and not worry about the M96. About the time he gets a decent following and almost perfects the XCR he'll be starting on something else. It alos sounds like a good way to start losing future XCR business of customers who dont want to be left out in the cold like kinda happend with the M96 in the first place.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thats why i said it needs to be a special order gun ,In making it production it would hurt the XCR cash cow.
But 15 rifles a year would help the parts fears and the image with the XCR.
The issue isn't the quality of the guns , its the fear of parts.
not even kits for them ,parts so the one you have is OK.
A lot of you want the XCR kits and parts ,i own two XCRs so i care also ,but a lot of people bought the M96 also before we even knew about an XCR.
If not, plenty of smaller Company's or guys would love the rights to the M96 .

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd buy it on the first run. I'd sell an AR15 to help make it happen. I always wanted one when they were easy to get. I just didnt have the spare cash at the time. I wouldnt let the chance pass me by a 2nd time, especilly if it was the M96 Recon™ 7.62x39mm Carbine

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Interested, maybe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts