XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Re: SPECIAL PRICES ON MILTEC/MILTEC-1 for XCR FORUM MEMBERS ONLY!

That is not only good shit..... that is good pricing too! :2cents:

·
Registered
332 Posts

I've heard much about the militec oil, but not much about the grease. Anyone have any experience with it? Not sure that i really need grease anywhere on my xcr anyway.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

Grease is good in certain locations on most firearms.Bolt lugs are a good example,It just stays put longer.Slide rails (pistol) are another place I like to use it.I use it on the bolt assembly on my 10/22 as well,it affords easier cleanup as well because the powder fouling doesn't stick to the metal as easily.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

IT'S ALSO GOOD AT ATRACTING DIRT, DUST, UNBURNT POWDER, BRASS SHAVINGS ETC. I WOULDN'T PUT IT ON A AUTO-LOADER. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

Oil does the same thing.Properly applying grease (thinly)attracts no more debris than anything else,besides drylube.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

PUT A THIN COAT OF GREASE & A THIN COAT OF OIL ON A PIECE OF METAL. SET IT IN THE GARAGE FOR A WEEK & SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THERE WILL BE A DIFFERANCE. :2cents:

·
Registered
573 Posts

The good thing about using Militec-1 or Eezox, is it "dries" after applying and wiping, to a less wet condition that attracts less dirt/grit.

The grease will capture more dust/grit, and should be used sparingly.

I've used Militec and Eezox for years and find they make cleaning easier. Weapons seem to get less dirty and be easier to clean than with regular types of oil. 8)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts

FWIW, grease can be made so that it doesn't pull in much in the way of dirt.

A trick that the Navy's NM team armorer taught me was to get some high-grade synthetic grease. For a while, we were getting Nissan grease as it was the best for this application, but then Nissan quit bringing it into the country......

Now he advocates using Valvoline (IIRC) "contractors special". I can't get that here, so I went out and got some Mobil 1 synthetic grease and treated it the same way.

Will Militec grease do this? I dunno - I bought a tube of it, and I'll try it, but not until after I run out of the stuff I made up from the Mobil 1.

In any case, you want an extreme temperature, extreme pressure, non-lithium 100% synthetic grease. When you get it, lay your hands on a BUNCH of micron fine powdered molybdenum disulfide, at least USP grade. Dump the tube (or tub) of grease into a bowl, and start mixing in the moly a bit at a time. Just make sure that it's mixed well, and keep adding moly until the grease won't take any more.

Just like you can saturate water with sugar (after which more sugar only sits on the bottom of your glass) the same holds true of saturating grease with moly. I've got about a pint and a half in mason jars left.

How well does it do at not picking up dust? I did a basic sniper course (with my M25) on top of the continental divide in New Mexico. It was dry, dusty, and dirty. So much so that several times after belly-crawling, a stalking exercise (especially), etc, I'd have to use compressed air to blow off my optics - you couldn't see out of 'em. Everything - daily - was covered with a fine layer of dust. Heck, we ran so much ammo through at that course, the primer laquer made my magwell look like I'd coated it in red glitter.

At no time during the course did I strip the weapon. I'd clean as much as I could with the compressed air, I'd patch out the barrel, wipe the exterior of everything down, clean the inside of the gas cylinder / plug and clean the gas piston (after about 300 rounds, accuracy starts degrading if you don't get the carbon out). At no time did I relube. After the course, I thought that grease would be LOADED with dirt - but I stripped her down and found otherwise. I would have been just fine running that course two or three more times before the grease collected enough dust for me to get concerned.

I use extremely little oil on the M25 - almost everything is greased. This stuff works. Not cheap to make, but how long will pints of grease last you? FWIW, I fill empty 10cc syringes with it. Works great.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

YOU KNOW YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY. WHERE DO YOU FIND MOLYBDEUM DISULFIDE & HOW DO YOU APPLY THE GREASE?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts