XCR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Everybody gets a fair chance to do right or wrong with me.

So it's been 4 weeks and I still don't have my rifle back. I'm less than impressed with their customer service.

I did get the XCR-L back but it took 7 weeks and several prods from my end. This is not some Walmart $499 AR, this is a premium rifle and I think the customer service should be better. They replaced the gas piston system and BCG, which anyone here could have done in under 1 minute, so why the delay? No spare parts, I hope that's not the case, my suspicion is that it sat for days on end before a tech picked it up.

It didn't cost me a dime, as should be the case, but damn 7 weeks to replace some parts.

Ran about 200 rounds through it on gas setting 4, and only had one mfg. I was using it for a Front Site course and swapped to my Armalite M15 when we went out to 100yds as it had a 3x ACOG on it vs. the Aimpoint Pro on the XCR. Going to shoot it again in the next few days, and will report function once I'm out of the break in period.

Ran about 200 rounds through it on gas setting 4, and only had one mfg. I was using it for a Front Site course and swapped to my Armalite M15 when we went out to 100yds as it had a 3x ACOG on it vs. the Aimpoint Pro on the XCR. Going to shoot it again in the next few days, and will report function once I'm out of the break in period.
1 failure out of 200 rounds, unless it was obviously a mag or bad ammo is unacceptable. What was the malfunction? Short stroke, failure to eject, feed, extract, or ???

Did you try setting 2 or 3? How's the ejection at the different settings? It should be throwing spent cases 8-12 feet at least on the proper gas setting.

I agree, 1 in 200 is unacceptable, but technically I'm still in the break in period, so I'll report back after I'm done with that and using position 2. I shoot mostly XM-193 and XM-855 ammo so it's pretty hot, and as it is now (position 4) it's really flinging the brass 15' or more. Type 3 mfg, btw.

I agree, 1 in 200 is unacceptable, but technically I'm still in the break in period, so I'll report back after I'm done with that and using position 2. I shoot mostly XM-193 and XM-855 ammo so it's pretty hot, and as it is now (position 4) it's really flinging the brass 15' or more. Type 3 mfg, btw.
So, still having them stuck in the chamber? Not good. I doubt break in will make it better, but hopefully so. The guy from MAC recently had issues on setting 2 (IIRC) went up to 4....still had them, went back to 2....worked fine. Overgassing could conceivably give bolt bounce causing malfs....but having one stuck in the chamber precludes that as an option.

So, still having them stuck in the chamber? Not good. I doubt break in will make it better, but hopefully so. The guy from MAC recently had issues on setting 2 (IIRC) went up to 4....still had them, went back to 2....worked fine. Overgassing could conceivably give bolt bounce causing malfs....but having one stuck in the chamber precludes that as an option.
Yeah, I'm going to be all methodical about it. Which ammo, which mag, etc.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know how it goes or if you need additional help. If it continues to have casings stuck in the chamber and we do a bit of diagnosis first, it's likely that it's a simple fix.

Shot about 200 through it yesterday, 10 rounds each in .223 (in 5 shot groups) of the following; Corbon 69g Match, Zombie 55g, Amscor 55g, Federal Fusion 62g, as well as 3 mags each of XM-193 55g 5.56 and another three mags of XM855 62g 5.56. No issues until the end of the day when I was shooting the XM-193 when I had another type 3, so I marked that mag and will not use it next time to see if I can duplicate the mfg.

As a side, the Fusion gave me two 5 shot groups the size of a quarter at 100yds.

My results with this non-scientific ammo experiment (bipod on a concrete table, but no bags, and an Aimpoint Pro), were best to worst;
Fusion
Corbon
XM855
Zombie
Amscor
XM193

So it looks like it likes the heavier bullets. I bought a bunch of XM193 because they don't want you shooting steel targets with XM855 out at Frontsite, and in their speed drills they're really only looking for 4MOA accuracy so the 193 is fine, but it's pretty obvious to me that the XCR likes the 62g and up bullets.

Eh, some do, some don't.
I wound up running Winchester 55 grainers at Gunsite, and had no problem popping the half-height pepper poppers at the 400 yard line off the tower.
Glad you found what your rifle likes the best!

FWIW, I've read Castenada, specifically his book "the yaqua way of knowledge". Not sure if the dude was on 'shrooms or what, but I couldn't really get into it. He did have some good 'pearls of wisdom' here and there though!

Eh, some do, some don't.
I wound up running Winchester 55 grainers at Gunsite, and had no problem popping the half-height pepper poppers at the 400 yard line off the tower.
Glad you found what your rifle likes the best!

FWIW, I've read Castenada, specifically his book "the yaqua way of knowledge". Not sure if the dude was on 'shrooms or what, but I couldn't really get into it. He did have some good 'pearls of wisdom' here and there though!
Yeah, I'd love to do a real lead-sled type test with all the 40 - 77g ammo available. 5 shot groups, clean, next, lather rinse repeat. Anyone want to contribute a box of super premium ammo? :rolleyes:

I read a bunch of those type books back in the day, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics, etc., and came to the realization that there were those that had already picked out the 'pearls of wisdom'. Now I just go to Brainyquote.com.

HA! Cool stuff!

Now I'm going to make a recommendation, and I really REALLY hope that you'll take it in the way it's meant - there's no hostility, disrespect, or "bad attitude" in me at all. Really.

You're looking at pure accuracy, and that's a decent goal to achieve, but it won't really matter in the end unless you're always shooting off a bench.
If you get down in a good prone position, sling that sucker up, and drive those bullets where they ought to go, you'll have a "more honest" test of accuracy. After all, what's the use of getting 1/2 MOA out of a rifle on the bench, if you can't get but 2 MOA with it off a sling in the prone?

If you're one of the guys that always shoots off a bench for fun, then by all means, have a blast at it. To each their own.
But when I was popping those targets off the tower at 400, it was off a sling, prone, and 'rapid engagement'. As in the instructor would call out the student (by number) and the target (by position) - you had 2 or maybe 3 seconds to get your hit or miss, then they'd roll on to the next student at random. I didn't miss one.

My point is that if you run everything you can off a slung / prone position, YOU are the weapon, because YOU have the skill. I honestly don't think it would have mattered if someone had taken away my XCR-L and given me a decent AK47.

Or maybe I'm off my meds again - that happens every so often (GRIN)

Reactions: mjorin and Mechanic
No offense taken...at all.

Using a single point sling and my Aimpoint I had no problem getting two to the thoracic cavity and one to the head at 100yds. I'm just a curious guy that digs mechanical precision. We have a range here that has steel out to 960yds, and we've only just recently been able to get hits out there with an AR10 and 150g match ammo. I'm having a bolt gun made in 6.5 Creedmoor that will be my 1k gun, and I fully realize that the XCR is a 'battle' weapon and not a tack driver, but I was pretty stoked to have 5 shots in a 1" box.

Now AK's, you can have those things. I had a MAK90 for a short time and it just felt like a hunk of junk, like a shopping cart with a bad wheel. I know there are some that are great with them, but they're not for me.

Bravo, have you shot an Appleseed course?

Yes I have, and instructed for them for a few years.

At one point, I was shooting at a decent range in Page, Arizona. They have some cool steel there - animal siloughettes.
Some guys showed up with a magnum boltgun, and settled in on the bench - I decided to get the XCR-L / Aimpoint M3 settled in with the sling on the ground between the benches.

They'd hit a target, I'd figure out which one they hit and then hit it too. Had a ball. They didn't know quite what to think.

Reactions: mjorin and Merlin
Shot two more mags of XM193 out of P-mags, with no issues. I specifically used the same mags and ammo that I was shooting the other day to try and eliminate some variables, but it ran like a deer today.

But that Miculek brake is coming off, it's way too loud and doesn't seem to help any with muzzle movement. I have heard that it is highly recommended for AR's so maybe it works better on a DI gun. [shrug]

Went shooting on Saturday, and ran several mags through it and then dead trigger. Racked the action, and again dead trigger with no reset, so pulled the mag, ran the action again and both 855's were fine, no mutilated cases or anything. Opened the rifle up, removed the BCG and piston rod, then turned the lower upside down over a towel and two small pieces of plastic fell out. It looks like they were part of the piece just above the finger in this picture. I don't know what that piece is called, but it looks like a bumpstop of some sort, could this be my problem?

TIA

Attachments

Possibly....if those pieces of buffer were large enough, theoretically they could fall down into the trigger group and keep it from resetting.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.