XCR Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Bravo, have you shot an Appleseed course?

I would highly recommend an Appleseed! Excellent instruction and great fun. I have shot several and instructed for two years. We host one in our home town every year. My hunting partner just shot a 248/250. Now that is some shooting. My wife just earned her Rifleman's badge--I'm very proud and she still had time to pose for the Spike's Tactical poster. What a lady!

Reactions: Bravo
What Sean said. What was your gas setting? Might have been a tad too high.
After it came back from Robinson, it was recommended to break it in again, (replaced gas piston system and BCG), so I've been running it on setting 3, and put 3-400 rounds through it, so I guess it's time to try #2.

I would highly recommend an Appleseed! Excellent instruction and great fun. I have shot several and instructed for two years. We host one in our home town every year. My hunting partner just shot a 248/250. Now that is some shooting. My wife just earned her Rifleman's badge--I'm very proud and she still had time to pose for the Spike's Tactical poster. What a lady!
I did the Appleseed course last winter, but didn't patch. Shot a 198 with 36 shots due to some misfires. I'll do it again when the weather calms down and I WILL get my patch.

Agree, it's a great course for beginners and experienced alike.

After it came back from Robinson, it was recommended to break it in again, (replaced gas piston system and BCG), so I've been running it on setting 3, and put 3-400 rounds through it, so I guess it's time to try #2.

What is your goal here? Are you trying to get down to #1 to run your ammo? It seems a lot of people don't really get what the adjustable system is for.

What you're supposed to do is read your ejection pattern for a particular ammo and for how dirty the weapon is. If it's throwing spent cases 8-12 feet and is 100% reliable....and it's on setting 3 with that particular ammo, it is fine. If it's not running 100% on 3 and you turn up the gas to 4 and it runs 100% and throws brass 8-12 feet....it's fine.

Personally, I want it to run 100% and throw brass 8-12 feet (or farther) with crap steel case ammo and with no cleaning or oil for 1K rounds....and I'm fine with it being on setting 3 or 4 to get those results. Mine will do that. But, I think that's actually asking a bit much from most platforms.

What is your goal here? Are you trying to get down to #1 to run your ammo? It seems a lot of people don't really get what the adjustable system is for.

What you're supposed to do is read your ejection pattern for a particular ammo and for how dirty the weapon is. If it's throwing spent cases 8-12 feet and is 100% reliable....and it's on setting 3 with that particular ammo, it is fine. If it's not running 100% on 3 and you turn up the gas to 4 and it runs 100% and throws brass 8-12 feet....it's fine.

Personally, I want it to run 100% and throw brass 8-12 feet (or farther) with crap steel case ammo and with no cleaning or oil for 1K rounds....and I'm fine with it being on setting 3 or 4 to get those results. Mine will do that. But, I think that's actually asking a bit much from most platforms.
I get that, just following factory suggestions. At GS3 it throws it 12' or maybe a little more. Before it went in for service, it would FTE on setting GS2 and eventually GS3, this with all brass 193 or 855 ammo. My cleaning routine is to just run a bore snake from breech to muzzle with some CLP on it after I shoot, been doing this for a long time with AR's and other semi's and it's served me well and allowed extended full cleanings.

I won't have a chance to go shooting till Sunday, I'll keep you all posted.

I get that, just following factory suggestions. At GS3 it throws it 12' or maybe a little more. Before it went in for service, it would FTE on setting GS2 and eventually GS3, this with all brass 193 or 855 ammo. My cleaning routine is to just run a bore snake from breech to muzzle with some CLP on it after I shoot, been doing this for a long time with AR's and other semi's and it's served me well and allowed extended full cleanings.

I won't have a chance to go shooting till Sunday, I'll keep you all posted.
Doc, with that ammo you should be a bit more reliable, even during break in. Let us know how your next session turns out and we can help diagnose a little more if you continue to have issues.

Doc, with that ammo you should be a bit more reliable, even during break in. Let us know how your next session turns out and we can help diagnose a little more if you continue to have issues.
Ya, that's good ammo....it should reliably run that on setting 2 from what I've witnessed with most XCRs. I think you should be GTG at this point.

Possibly....if those pieces of buffer were large enough, theoretically they could fall down into the trigger group and keep it from resetting.
Looks like this is the situation. After turning it upside down, shaking out the peices of the recoil buffer, and checking for any more stray pieces, the action functions properly, including trigger reset. The recoil buffer is a $9 part from RA, so I'll ping Holly and see if I can get one shipped to me here.

Get a couple....who knows how long they'll be making them now that the design places the new buffer on the carrier.

Get a couple....who knows how long they'll be making them now that the design places the new buffer on the carrier.
Arrived today.

Ran three mags through it yesterday on gas setting 2 with no issues. Hopefully it will continue. It reminds me of dating a model, love the way it looks, but it can be a real PITA.

Thanks for everyones help.

D

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.