XCR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, just got back from it this last weekend. Plenty to see and some interesting things were there.

Firstly, no XCR. No surprise, but considering what else was there, it was conspicuous by it's absence. I did talk to a few folks concerning the XCR vs. the world. Lots of hurt feelings about the M96. This simply boggles my mind. I had this argument at least three times. Sure, I hold a grudge over HK discontinuing the P9S. I mean, it should be produced in perpetuity. Right? Yeah, sure.

Secondly, the SCAR was there in all it's glory. SCAR-L, SCAR-H, and the commercial SCAR. These are fifth flight guns according to the FN reps. The internals on the gun are very slick. Teflon coated removeable bolt rails! Nifty. Further investigation reveals they're shooting for a 4th quarter (Oct/Nov) 2008 release, though '09 isn't out of the question (I routinely add 6 months to any of this and generally end up being pretty close). How much will this puppy cost? The rep hems and haws and mumbles, "<cough>2995<cough>". Say what? Yes, that's two thousand, nine-hundred and ninety-five dollars. Save those pennies.

Thirdly, the Masada (the ACR is a Steyr flechette gun, dammit!). I did get to play with a couple of these. I've been underwhelmed by the hype surrounding this gun, but after looking at it in person, it's actually pretty neat. Nothing the XCR isn't, but it does look good and it handles well. You could also buy two for what FN is thinking about asking for the SCAR. On the other hand, it's made by Bushmaster and that's a red flag for me. Time will tell. Still, you can't help but like it.

Fourthly, the HK booth. Yes, 416s in evidence. Picked one up...yep, it's an AR <yawn>. Predictably, the HK reps look at you like you have the clap if you bother to ask any questions. HK45 mags anytime soon? They're still over in the Fatherland. Hey, R. Lee Ermey is over in the Glock booth. HK who? Oops, almost forgot to add, the rear sight on the 416 I picked up was on backwards...

Lastly, I did get to play around with the .45 ACP Kris. I don't normally have any sort of use for subguns, but this thing is just cool. I asked if they were going to make a 10mm version and the answer was a big "yes!". Hmmmm. I still don't have much use for them, but a 10mm would be just a hoot for a plinker. Gives me another excuse to grab a Vltor Bren X.

Larue just about sold me a target system, but I'm still kinda trying to figure out what family members to sell to afford a SCAR. Lots more there I've no doubt already forgotten about, but it was well worth the trip (that and Burbank's on the way home).

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The issue the M96 owners have isn't so much that its not being made anymore, it's the broken promises over its development and features that were promised and not delivered. People bought the rifles expecting the development promises to be kept, which never came, and then their rifles stopped being produced. Why ever are they pissed.........? I know one who thinks I am a moron for buying the XCR, and in some ways he has a point. He feels robbed, lied to and is totally disgusted with RobArm and alex. Taking to him he does have a point. I just hope Alex has learnt from that whole episode and doesn't do the same thing again.

Unfortunately, continual delays and broken promises.....sounds familiar!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
HK45 mags anytime soon? They're still over in the Fatherland.
Hmmm... I must've hit the motherload then.

I know you will find this incredibly hard to believe - but I just picked up (10) factory new HK45 mags for $20 each.

I am fortunate enough to have a personal contact that receives VIP deals from HK and besides the occasional insane pistol deals he lands, I asked him how much he could get mags for and when he said $20/each I said "I'LL TAKE TEN" before he had a chance to blink.

I should have asked for 20, but I didn't want to be greedy and burn my bridge.

I shall count my blessings!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Alex doesn't seem to attend much of anything anymore. He's turning into a recluse. I think we need to throw him a party of something and show him some love.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Those Larue Targets are nice but spendy. If I lived somewhere that I could just put a few of them out and leave them out I would do that. Unfortunately I wont have that option for another 12 years or so. One thing I noticed about the HK416 is that it feels heavy, maybe more than the XCR. The rail system moves too much also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts